What's new

GOP files bill calling for federal legalization & taxation of cannabis

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Rep. Nancy Mace of SC is sponsoring the bill, which will also wipe non-violent cannabis convictions. Marijuana Moment calls it an attempt to bridge the differences in Dem plans & former GOP ideas. it also supposedly will protect states that have already legalized from the changing federal rules. in theory, this will allow cannabis businesses to utilize banking services finally. if i was an influential Democrat (registered republican, sorry), i'd reach out & grab that hand quick, before the 2022 elections. JMHO

BobChronic6505

I saw this headline on Yahoo but that's it. People were so hyped at the beginning of the election saying Bidings was gonna legalize it, and then nothing. Now this, which actually seems like real news, and no coverage on it at all anywhere else.

rolandomota

Veteran
Lol man don't get your hopes up just grow it . my ass will die waiting for retards to Make it legal I still be waiting fuck you texas

armedoldhippy

Veteran
If there was ever a time for compromise, this is the time.
There’s no excuse not to get it done.

i'm afraid that the old attitude of "if it aint perfect & let me do whatever the fuck i want, i'm voting against it!" will ooze out from under a scab & doom another chance of moving toward the prize... people bitch about half-measures, but when that is all you are gonna get, take it & start working on the next one.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I saw this headline on Yahoo but that's it. People were so hyped at the beginning of the election saying Bidings was gonna legalize it, and then nothing. Now this, which actually seems like real news, and no coverage on it at all anywhere else.

it seems to me, looking back, that more actual work & compromise went on in congress when everything said and done/hinted at was not on a 24 hour constant news barrage. sometimes the detested "smoke filled back room meetings" were all that got shit done. politicians in private are much more amenable to horse-trading than having to dicker with a camera in their face on CSpan. i aint fond of it either, but until we start electing braver office holders...

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Rep. Nancy Mace of SC is sponsoring the bill, which will also wipe non-violent cannabis convictions. Marijuana Moment calls it an attempt to bridge the differences in Dem plans & former GOP ideas. it also supposedly will protect states that have already legalized from the changing federal rules. in theory, this will allow cannabis businesses to utilize banking services finally. if i was an influential Democrat (registered republican, sorry), i'd reach out & grab that hand quick, before the 2022 elections. JMHO

The Reps finally grow a brain, looks like this bill has a good chance as it covers alla the bases, and right on time leading up to the mid term elections! ;)

I can't believe the Dems let the Reps steal onea their best cards right out from under 'em. :shucks:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The only way weed becomes legal is if the feds take it off their schedule, expunge fed pot records, and allow real growers to supply med research supply instead of MS State U.

Get the fed.guv outta the weed business.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it does not matter one whit which party is in control, the spending will continue as always. the argument is over we invest in the citizens or keep funding for rich peoples tax breaks & corporations to prop up Wall Street & defense contractors. if the hogs aint getting their desired cut of the slop, the squealing gets loud...

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran

Well you have to be careful with news coverage as the media no matter which political affiliation pretty much focuses on the most extreme news stories and often times this leaves more sensible or reasonable news stories uncovered. Right now there is a lot of disappointment by left leaning news sources about how the democrats have been handling Biden's major legislative goals and the right is still focused on making the democrats look bad in any way imaginable. So I wouldn't read too much into how little coverage you're finding on this topic right now.

If it is true it's a smart move on the Republican's part laying a path forward to a very lucrative new industry with the potential of bringing in billions if not trillions of new revenue and at the same time clearing out the prisons of non violent drug offenders and not that they need it given the way things have been going so far under democrat control but this would be a huge feather in the Republicans caps leading into the mid terms like CosmicGiggle suggested.. I also agree with armedoldhippie's point that we should try to not let seeking perfection ruin the good. Then again I'm too old and too poor to worry about if I personally will be able to cash in on legalization by becoming a supplier. As long as I can grow enough for myself without having to look over my shoulder to see if LEO is coming for me I'd be happy.

imiubu

Meh, just more carrot dangling.
Removal from the CSA should be the first step.
However, our gov't will continue to exploit our herb for power/ money.

same ole same ole.

imiubu

It would seem so armedoldhippy. I mean... that would make "logical" sense.

Does it seem odd that I do not trust my gov't?
It's not like our gov't has ever had our best interests in mind after all.
This is just another TAX and REGULATE bull.
Decriminalization and legalization are vastly different concepts.
Does not the wording alone cause yer hackles to stand up a tad? :chin:

"... 1

OF MARI JUANA AND DEF-2
ERENCE TO STATE POWERS 3
OF PROHIBITION 4
SEC. 101. FEDERAL DECRIMINALIZATION OF CANNABIS, 5
AND STATE CONTROL DEFERENCE.
(a) PREEMPTIONOFCANNABISREMOVEDFROM 7
SCHEDULEOF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES.— 8
(1) REMOVALOFFEDERALCONTROLLEDSUB-9
STANCESACTPREEMPTION.—Subsection (c) of 10
schedule I of section 202(c) of the Controlled Sub-11