What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goodbye Humboldt & hello Monterey County!

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
from my experiences coastal humby falls into wet/foggy, but inland can/does get very hot/dry........the problems I had up north was the unpredictability of weather.......especially at flowering.....as never used grnhse's for tending.......also I enjoy tending more sativa lines which typically had a harder time finishing at the higher latitude.........

would agree most think bud light is good beer.....so for most B grade ganja will do......especially if it means one less beer......lol.....

OregonBorn

Well, I do not see how growing in Monterey Co. will produce lighter or weaker strains of weed. I grew weed there outdoors that knocked people flat on their asses. Higher potency (from my experiments growing indoors and out) results from higher temps at night during later flowering. Also the fog issue... the deep ends of Carmel Valley and the Salinas Valley do not get much (if any) fog. Nor do the hills above the fog line. There are two coastal mountain chains on either side of the Salinas Valley: The Santa Lucias and the Gabilan Range. A lot of weed was grown in the Santa Lucias in my time. I consider Arroyo Seco to be the *perfect* growing location myself. But the same can be said for San Benancio Cyn, Tassajara, Robinson Cyn, Cachagua, East Carmel Valley, Pinnacles, and the hills around Prunedale.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I do not see how growing in Monterey Co. will produce lighter or weaker strains of weed. I grew weed there outdoors that knocked people flat on their asses. Higher potency (from my experiments growing indoors and out) results from higher temps at night during later flowering. Also the fog issue... the deep ends of Carmel Valley and the Salinas Valley do not get much (if any) fog. Nor do the hills above the fog line. There are two coastal mountain chains on either side of the Salinas Valley: The Santa Lucias and the Gabilan Range. A lot of weed was grown in the Santa Lucias in my time. I consider Arroyo Seco to be the *perfect* growing location myself. But the same can be said for San Benancio Cyn, Tassajara, Robinson Cyn, Cachagua, East Carmel Valley, Pinnacles, and the hills around Prunedale.

What is the reason that you like the Canyons so much? Air flow? Temperature changes from day to night?

OregonBorn

What is the reason that you like the Canyons so much? Air flow? Temperature changes from day to night?

Well, you can grow in the hills just fine around there. However, the roads generally follow the canyons and valley floors there, and we are talking accessible legal weed now, not black market. The canyons and valley floors are also where most of the well water is. Water is critical in Monterey Co. as it is in a lot of Mendocino, Sonoma, Trinity and Humboldt Co. Also the heat on the bottom of the valley floors is more even and consistent and there is usually less wind, as well as more early season heat. Constant wind, cool temps and fog can be a big issue on the north end of the Salinas Valley. High wind can also be an issue in the hills. Frost is not as big an issue, but some years in the Salinas Valley it can freeze pretty hard. That is rare though. Also snow in the hills there is not uncommon, but in the winter when GH or outdoor growing is apt to be nil. Snow can collapse GH plastic though, like it does up here in Oregon every few years.

The way that the new laws are written in Monterey Co, it looks like the bulk of the growing will be outside of Salinas City limits, and probably farther south in the valley in greenhouse areas around Soladad, Aromas, and Greenfield. I have friends that have vineyards (Chalone) across the valley up around the Pinnacles, but the wells there do not produce much water. It is perfect for growing weed if the wild pigs do not get to it. That is another issue with the remote areas, the damn pigs. Not the cops, the wild pigs around there. And thieves. Also anything near the coast requires a coastal permit, so forget growing there.

There is also the marijuana cultivation tax in Monterey Co. of $15 a sq ft now, and that will go up to $20 a sq ft in 2020, and $25 a sq ft in 2022. That comes out to over $600k a year per acre now, and over a million an acre in 2022. That is likely to be the biggest limiting factor in growing commercial legal weed in Monterey Co. Humboldt Co. passed a $3 a sq ft tax on growing weed there, but that is likely to go up in time. That is over $120k a year in taxes to grow on an acre. I cannot find the tax on cultivation in Mendocino Co. Trinity Co. growers' permits and tax looks about like Oregon. In Oregon an outdoor rec growing permit is $5,000 for just under an acre (40k sq ft) annually. Indoor its $5k for 10k sq ft.

Last edited:

OregonBorn

Pssst... Uvas Reservior and surrounding area..

IF Santa Clara County ever gets real about marijuana growing.

Yes, Santa Clara Co. has banned commercial weed growing, along with all processing and sales. From experience, between Gilroy and Hollister is a great place to grow weed! San Benito Co. has also banned growing commercial weed, as has Contra Costa Co. Alameda has put its toes into the cultivation water and is allowing 6 commercial grow permits. San Mateo Co is allowing commercial growing, as is Santa Cruz Co, SF Co, Monterey and Marin Co. SLO Co. is still on the fence. In an odd flip, San Diego Co. is now allowing all commercial marijuana business, including growing.

It looks like most coastal counties in California, except LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Co. will allow for growing commercial cannabis. Like Oregon, most counties west of the cascades and along the coast allow for rec weed. And the US, where all the western Pacific states allow for rec weed. The coast with the most!

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
since '90 been between the Kings River and the Kaweah River in southern Sierra's.............when one considers the Giant Sequoia's that inhabit the region and the most productive and greatest variety of agriculture in valley below......hard to beat.....but I feel that Cali has many great environs to tend in and as stated when one finds the correct varietals it can be magical..........

best in finding your gem Oregonborn............

OregonBorn

since '90 been between the Kings River and the Kaweah River in southern Sierra's.............when one considers the Giant Sequoia's that inhabit the region and the most productive and greatest variety of agriculture in valley below......hard to beat.....but I feel that Cali has many great environs to tend in and as stated when one finds the correct varietals it can be magical..........

best in finding your gem Oregonborn............

I always loved the Sierra foothills, and I have spent a lot of time in places like Auburn, Hangtown, and Sonora. One problem I noted when I visited friends with grows in southern Mendo Co. is that Redwood trees have invasive as all hell roots that make growing weed around them more difficult (when planted in the ground). I do not know if Sequoia trees are the same, but they are related to Redwoods. I have land in north Sonoma Co, but not enough to grow commercial weed on. Some friends near me there do though (40 and 80 acres). I do not know what the final grow laws and fees will be in Sonoma Co. yet. They are still being decided.

Looking at the counties in the sierra foothills, many there have banned commercial weed growing as well as outdoor personal weed growing, particularly Fresno, Tuolumne, Amador, Placer, Yuba, Tulare and likely Calaveras Co. Plumas Co. is on the fence. Of the west Sierra Counties, it looks like only Mariposa, Nevada and El Dorado Co. have approved it? It seems to change almost daily though.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Giant Sequoia's start at about 5000'ele here so being at close to 3000' not a problem....the point being made is they are the largest (by volume) trees in exsistance....and only grow in a small region....making the enviro special.........regardless of Leo and what they think have not missed a season outdoors in 25 yr's here......and weather since 2000 has allowed for quality Nov. finish.........which works nicely when it comes to those later sativas.........

as said many nice banana belt regions that one can utilize especially when varietals click.......
if $ not an issue for ya I'd be in Big Sur to Arroyo Seco region..........last real example of roadkill I had came from Seco

ganj on..........

OregonBorn

Now, skunk from that area back in the day was skunk. Not some watered down Amsterdam version to come later. Only issue was that it !!!REEKED!!! from a mile away. It also still reeked in a baggie carrying it around.

Looks like Calaveras Co, has banned commercial weed now. Growers there have 3 months to wind down operations. *cough* 200 growers there are now SOL. Stupid is as stupid does. El Dorado Co has put a temporary ban on commercial growing as well. West slope Sierra weed will be good, but only from those few counties that can actually grow it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts