What's new

good organic time release?

baet

any suggestions on good organic timerelease ferts?

thinking about using foxfarm peace of mind all purpose 5-5-5. any better peace of mind ones? theres like a dozen diff peaceofminds....

then supplementing with sum liquid organic fert for N and boost of growth like every week...

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
I love the 5-5-5 POM... I also use the 3-8-8 bulb food to buffer other amendments and raise ph slightly!

peace!

J

JackTheGrower

I had thought, under more knowledgeable advice, that we should avoid time release fertilizers.

Why would time release be a good thing for MJ?

Jack

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I kinda thought organics were kind of naturally time released. I mean the critters have to break down the bone meal, kelp, etc to a form that the plant can use. That takes time. Thus the 2 week wait for our soil to start working or cooking.
Like I said- I'm not the sharpest tool. A tool but real dull.

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
time release might be a bit more tricky, but once you get it dialed in you can go through flower without adding anything but water... Im a big fan

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chicken manure pellets are about 5-5-5 so good general fert - adds humus too.

neongreen

Veteran
so far you're the sharpest tool around here, and cutting some good advice.

best organic time release ferts: blood meal, bone meal, etc...

I agree, best answer so far, but blood meal is not time release. It's a very fast acting source of N.

:2cents:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't confuse "time release" with "slow release".
Blood/bone/kelp will release fast enough to fully feed a plant and last an entire grow. I use them for mother plants and they last almost a year.
Burn1

its420

=faster than time release, lol

botanicare makes a new dry fert called PURE, I use it on my moms with fantastic results.
In my nursery we sell http://ebstone.org/ebstone.php and I use that indoors and out for medicine and landscape plants as well as all my fruits n veggies. 'Sure Start' is fn gold!!!

I have two sets of soil, one gets reconditioned with blood, bone, kelp, alf, ect. sits and marinates while my current run is goin, soon as that done I swap over and re-use. Never needing to go buying bag soil again. Just enough to get the two sets going.

PEACE & Good Luck

baet

i know i could use bone and blood, but i dont wanna attract critters... i was thinking more on the line of time release pellets and whatnot, that is a packaged complete fert made by a company.
doobie nice-wat were you saying about using peace of mind bulb food too? im going to be adding dolomite to the mix to buff acid.
also my soil mix is supposidly (but im becoming more suspicious of the mix after hearing mixed answers from the producers) mushroom compost, steer shavings(completely similar to chicken manure), worm castings, and like cheap potting soil, oh and theyre mite be garden humus, but who knows...
so ill just be adding some kind of peace of mind time release granular ( a few weeks after plants get used to new soil mix, checking the water sort of deal), and foxfarm big bloom and molasses probably... whats you thoughts....
i have no idea the ratios of the soil mix, for example how much steer barn shavings there is compared to worm castings, ratio.

i realize big bloom isnt organic, completely, but we have a huge bottle, and just that wont hurt the organics and microbes of the soil, i think...

EDIT- maryjohn- yeah i guess, the peace of mind is completely organic, derived from stuff like guano, kelp, feather meal, neem seed meal, worm castings and other organic materials...
and ill just be adding the peace of mind into the top inch or so of soil every like 4 weeks or so

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
Nothing is more time release than organic nutes... They all burn for a set amount of days!

rockbud

I use Espoma products like Plant-tone, Bulb-tone, Garden-tone, etc. Plant-tone is 100% organic but don't be put off by the others, they have just a tiny bit of chems. I called them and it's just to give a quick shot of energy untill the organics fully kick in. They have a new product Bio-tone that has Mychorzae bacteria that is something every organic soil grow should have. These product are available everywhere, cheap, and good quality.

maryjohn

Veteran
I have some espoma liquid bone meal I found in the half off bin at agway.

My question is, what is this stuff?

baet - is there a specific reason you are worried about animals? And which animals are you worried about? bone meal will attract skunks, raccoons, and rodents, but blood and bone are thought to help repel deer. It would help to know which animals have caused problems for you.

baet

deer, raccoons, skunks, fox, coyote, rodents, and possums are all possibilities... last year i left baby plants out for like a day or two in a field and something ate them and pulled them outta the pots, i was just growing with ocean forest then... they grew back but fuck

yeah POM 5-5-5 has mycorrizae in it and humic acid

dooby-what do you mean all organics burn for a set amount of days...? like they will burn the plants for a few days but then theyr fine

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
each amendment burns, or is available for a certain amount of days.

example: Bat guano gives strong release nutes for about 30 days, and light strength for about 30 more... Somewhere I've got a chart with the burn periods for most common amendments.

maryjohn

Veteran
last year i left baby plants out for like a day or two in a field and something ate them and pulled them outta the pots, i was just growing with ocean forest then... they grew back but fuck

y

sounds like deer, which are definitely not attracted to bone and blood, but to your nice unprotected young vegetation. I would suggest a floating row cover, and blood and bone meal.

The other animals won't go after your plants, although they could go after the actual bone meal, especially if not well mixed. But if you haven't had a problem with them, there is no reason to assume you will.