What's new

good mp3 player?

G

so i got 90$ to best buy in gift certificates... and i'd like to just buy a mp3 player for around 200 - 300 max...
i dunno much about the mp3 scene expect the fact that i think the ipod is stupid and i'd rather not contribute to that nonsense... and i'd rather not bother coverting 3,000 songs to itunes.

so im lookin for one that can hold up to 4,000 songs and has a decent battery life... also gotta have a car adapter (but don't they all now a days?)

thanks for the help guys!

MMZRetro85

i do agree with you that the ipod's way of cataloging songs does suck, and very time consuming but, i'v got the 80 gig ipod and i have enough music on there if i put it on shuffle, itll take me well over a year of continuess listening to hear all the songs.
or look at the pocket DJ's

hope this helps

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had my Dell DJ for 2 years now, and I really like it. It's easy to navigate through, plays both MP3's and .wav files, can be used as a portable hard drive, and holds most of my collection stored @ 320 (~ 2500 songs).

One thing I don't like about it, and this is strictly a "me" thing, is that the headphone amp is kinda weak sauce. It distorts at full volume and won't output a line level signal. However, if your just listening to it through headphones, this will never be an issue unless you want to be deaf within a year. :D

Oh, and I paid $250 for the 30 gig version 2 years ago, so they must have gotten cheaper and bigger (hard drive) by now.

G

Cowon has the best sounding DAP. I owned a Iaudio x5, and now I'm going to buy a X5L which is a tad bit thicker but has an amazing 35 hour playback. The Cowon community is great because most of the people are older and mature, and lots of them are programmers so that is a plus for the rockbox and other things since they have the source code *iaudiophile.com*. Cowon supports tons of audio and video formats! Which is why most people go with it because it supports ogg and flac. And I was serious about them having the best sounding DAP out there, LOVE the 5 band customizable EQ, I just love all the settings you can play with and make your music sound amazing like increase bass, mp enhance and so on. I only use the MP enhance though because if some of my mp3s are bad quality it makes them sound good and does not distort the orginal sound.

The best thing about the X5 is that is requires ZERO software! It is automatically an external harddrive and all you have to do is drag N drops your folders, I love this because all of my music is organized perfectly on my computer. I owned a ipod and a zune and let me tell you, crappiest products I have ever owned and the software made my music so incredibly unorganized, I had 1 method man cd, powered on my ipod or zune and I had 12 method man cds, which most were only 1 song... Ipods and zunes are for sheep people, look like sheep talk like people~ sheeeeep people! I honestly have no clue how the ipod is rated #1 and then I remember that 99% of the people that buy them can never think for themselves and don't care about their music and quality.

Dont let a company dictate how you listen to your music!!!! Cowon lets you listen to the way you want to!

People are hoping that cowon introduces a succesor at the electronics show in March, but what they did introduce at CES was an amazing player called the D2, 52 hours of playback!!!! TOUCHSCREEN! and very small, it is not a pmp! I think this may be more suited for you because it is only 4 Gigs BUT it has a SD card slot which I believe have 10 gigs out now? Which will allow you to have 14 gigs, and SD cards will only increase in memory!!!!!! So I sugguest you look into the D2 if that really intrests you and you can wait for the release.

Only problem I see is that bestbuy does not carry these players, some compusa's do but you will most likely have to order it online.

If you must buy it from bestbuy I then sugguest buying a Creative Zen Vision:M.

I hope this helped even though I don't know of one person that has bought it after I gave them my anti Ipod speech, which is funny because I speak the truth which is so much better yet they just want to have what their butt buddy has.

If you are into the X5, I can answer any question you have.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts