What's new

Good K9 Companions?

MicroRoy

I had a Belgian Shepard. Rescue.

Neighbors called in to complain about the way I parked. Two in the morning I wake up phone ringing. Days before cell phones. They say this is the so and so police department. We need you to put your dog up so we can talk to you.What can you say at two. What.? I was awake when they repeated it.

I stepped outside sure enough two cops at the gate. This dog is quite and looking happy. He drew the line without looking vicious.

I step out to the gate. They say put the dog up so we can talk. I bent over and whispered into that dogs ear. Good Dog. Then go lay down. He went to the back and stayed. The cops seemed impressed they talked at the gate and never got close enough to smell the house.

He came well trained. I think he got lost in the shuffle when so many people got called up to go to Kuwait.

All the neighbors loved that dog.

B

bigganjabud

Get the ridgeback as the heat don't really bother them ,they're bread for lion fighting and protecting the farmers from big game in africa

I think a couple of hunters/poachers or potential rippers would be no problem

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I re-homed a thai ridgeback from one friend to another, it was/is a male and so somewhat headstrong but manically devoted to him & his wife. but make no mistake about it this dog is all about protecting the 2 of them.

when I go to visit them he watches me closely in an uncomfortable way, I can barely pet him w/o his lips curling; and yet if both of them step out of the house for a smoke break together he comes right over and lays his head in my lap for some love & scratches, fuck it, I keep my junk covered anyway, just in case :)

they don't allow him any kind of free reign for obvious reasons. in my opinion most female K9s stick very close to home whereas males typically like to wander or expand their turf.

my vote is for your choice of a rhodesian ridgeback or a thai ridgeback if one can be found, neither is afraid of a fucking thing. come across a bear with cubs in the woods??? I wouldn't want anything less than a ridgeback watching my own back.......

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
bitch replacement...yeehaw...she aint no pup any more 4 yrs old..purebred gs she aint half the dog max was but still a good dog..max genetics were a guess from people at dog pound ..shepard /ridgeback or shepard /ridgeback/great dane...he was around 120lbs tho...yeehaw

HatchBrew

Veteran
PAvUdxw.jpg

St. Bernard. He's a gentlemen, best dog ever. I keep he's hair trimmed so it doesn't get too many burrs and whatnot in it.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I surveyed for many years and am not afraid of dogs. I would jump any fence for a monument except the one with a shepard behind it. I have a Belgian shepard now and he is the most mellow but aggressively protective dog I have ever owned. He only barks if he see's a threat.

B

bigganjabud

having said that ive got an american bulldog and hes a loonatic but hes got my back no matter whats in front of me

blastfrompast

Veteran
German Shepherd...and they can be trained to not bark....

Mine....she barks all the time when she see's "something" that is outta the ordinary ...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
He looks a bit like my mutt. What mix did you say he was or have you said? What was the scar from surgery from? My dog had his gut opened up when he was a pup because he ate my underwear and it wasn't coming back. Had to get it massaged out.

he had huge tumor and it was not able to be worked on after thy opened him up after already doing x ray and ultrasound and inspected ...I removed the staples myself weeks later ....spent all kinds of money and in the end there was nothing they could do but accept a lot of my money.....great dog and would of done anything to save him ..anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...yeehaw...between parvo as a pup and that tumor I spent prob 10k.....I would of robbed a bank if I had to for him.....having a animal that loves you unconditionally and got your back always unlike humans is priceless...my friends said they would of had dog put down for his issues even parvo...well they don't love their dogs like me..i prefer dogs over people...but I still love coochie too...

Green Squall

I hear ya..I had people that asked me why I was spending all this money too. My dog was given 6-9 months this May and he is still thriving. Responding extremely well to treatment and is in partial remission. No cancer symptoms whatsoever. Well worth the money in my opinion. As long as his quality of life is good, I will pay for the cancer drugs. The lymphoma will catch up to him eventually so I'm just enjoying the time we have left.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Glad to hear your pup is doing well. Quality of the life they have remaining is what is important.

My best friend is worth more than any money to me, just like yours is to you.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
he had huge tumor and it was not able to be worked on after thy opened him up after already doing x ray and ultrasound and inspected ...I removed the staples myself weeks later ....spent all kinds of money and in the end there was nothing they could do but accept a lot of my money.....great dog and would of done anything to save him ..anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...yeehaw...between parvo as a pup and that tumor I spent prob 10k.....I would of robbed a bank if I had to for him.....having a animal that loves you unconditionally and got your back always unlike humans is priceless...my friends said they would of had dog put down for his issues even parvo...well they don't love their dogs like me..i prefer dogs over people...but I still love coochie too...

Sounds like me. Dogs have a lot over humans, but of course, we're all shaped a bit by experiences... and I've had some really shitty humans walk into my life.

Cannavore

Veteran
Not to sound cliché, Pittys alltheway.

yup mine is as quiet as can be, is built like an ox, and just wants to please you and follow your commands.

i wouldn't recommend blue or black coats (of any breed you settle on) if the dog is going to be in the sun for extended periods. my blue pit absolutely cooks in the sun.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my bitch shepard wont leave my side .she even tries to follow me into bathroom...sometime I let her......if I go outside she goes,,, if I even try and sneak outside she soon finds me...she is overprotective..hates all strangers and dogs,,,even as a pup she tried attacking full grown dogs.....yeehaw...but awesome home security/greenhouse...cops might end up shooting us both lol...here in san diego everyone is just a potential practice target for the pigs

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Yeah my boy has a shepherd brain and will not leave my side unless I ask him to as well. Or if he's doing his patrol of the yard. He always comes back shortly after he's done (sometimes a good bark at a deer beyond the fence is required).

Also on the over protective side. He's turned into a rather serious dog, but he's my boy and I love him.

Now looking at getting him a sister. In this case looking for something a little mellower so I am on the list to get an English Mastiff pup sometime this summer. From old lines dating back pre war which is uncommon to have such lineage - they're quite large but appear very sound (he has one stud that's 280lbs, most are closer to 240-250 though). Guy has a good reputation as a breeder. Always exciting getting a pup.