What's new

Good beginner water only soil mix that you can buy/ create

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks guys. I'm heavly debating buying the buildasoil cubic foot because that's all I would need to experiment. I still want to have two or three plants in coco while I try out this organic stuff and I don't know if buying all these ingredients make sense right off the bat. What are your thoughts on the buildasoil?

Without a doubt if I liked the buildasoil I would do a mix of promix bx, ewc, rice hulls then appropriate amendments. You guys are awesome thank you!

Just so you know you can substitute sphagnum peatmoss for promix. It is basically the same thing without additives. The best brand is Premier (cheap grade) followed by Alaska Peat. This is only because these are harvested in Northern Alberta. Other brands are okay too.

There is nothing wrong with buildasoil or KIS. You will learn more mixing your own.

My first mix was peatmoss, topsoil, sand/gravel, old horse manure and dolomite. It worked just fine.

TheEagerBeaver

Roots Organics + Dr. Earth Grow formula at the recommended dosage + local worm castings and Compost.

That's 4 ingredients & will feed your plant (water only) through harvest. It'll get your feet wet and make you want to come up with more complex soil blends.