What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'Goldfinger' - Malawi Gold X Flo

PissingShrimp

This is my favourite cross. Good yield and i like these flowers all the way to the bottom. Nice traits.
Keep it up ThaiPhoon looks good so far. :jump:

ThaiPhoon

Here is a shot of my favourite Goldfinger plant. This one came from the batch labeled mg1xf1. I would say this one is Flo dominant. Elevator Man, what do you think? Have a look at these crinkled leaves. This one has just shown her sex.

Last edited:

ThaiPhoon

Whats this?

Whats this?

I am not sure what these white lines are on the leaves. There are only two plants in the garden that have them. One is a Goldfinger and the other is a Thai. The Thai plant resembles the description of a "chocolate" Thai. I know that Flo used in the Goldfinger cross has some chocolate thai in it? Is the white caused by some bug or is it genetic?

Thai

Goldfinger

ThaiPhoon

OK then, thanks mat.

Here is a full shot of the mg1xf1 starting to flower. looks like its stretching a bit now! Yeah! It is about 3 feet tall or so. She is in a 3 gallon clay pot now. I bet if it was in the ground or given more root space these could be Monstrous!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
ThaiPhoon - that's a beauty! That's exactly the profile I was hoping for! Why not repot it now before it really gets going? Could add a few ounces, and it will help ballast the plant when those monster colas start developing! :)

Ok - check these. I went up to my friend's today who has a bunch of plants in his garden - including some of my hybrids. He has two Goldfinger phenos - one definite female, and one unsexed, despite being five feet tall! This is now four months from germination and still has no preflowers - as do some other strains. Anyone else noticed this? How come some plants don't seem to indicate until flowering time? Anyway, I suspect it's female, due to the shape and structure. It's also very Flo-dominant, and looks very similar the purple Flo he grew out last year - this is exactly what I was aiming for.

The other, more bushy pheno, began flowering in March at ten inches tall, as my friend never realised that less than 16 hours would trigger it! Once I told him, he put it under lights until it was light enough outside. But it never came out of flower completely, and is in a half-veg/half-flower situation. Also the leaves are much smaller and more numerous on this pheno.

My friend is useless at labelling, and hasn't a clue which pheno came from where - I know for definite that they're both from the MG1 mother, but don't know which Flo father was used...:(

So - here we go:

Pheno 1 (unsexed) - Flo-dominant:

Pheno 2 (female) leaning toward Malawi-dominant:

Both phenos:

ThaiPhoon

Hi Elevator Man!

Man those plants your friend has look fantastic. Unfortunately, I can not put these plants into bigger pots. I fear they will get TOO big and could pose a security problem..:( ALL of the Goldfingers are female. The mg1xf1's are looking quite similar...The mg2Xf2 are more columnar and not so branchy. They are a bit smaller than the mg1xf1 as well. However the mg2xf2 did begin flowering earlier. I am most impressed with the mg1Xf1..I know I keep saying that, but they look and smell AMAZING! Truly mouthwatering! haha. I think these will finish up near the middle to end of October. Does that sound about right EM?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I would guess that the MG2 X Flo2 would be like that - the MG2 was less branchy and more of a vine-type, and the Flo2 was a very small indica-dominant type with straight-up branches - almost Blueberry-looking. I'm really pleased that the parentage structures are showing through correctly.

And I can imagine the smell is delicious - both mine were, but one was noticeably more spicy and 'hot' than the other, which was very sweet and floral. I don't know if you get Bluebells in Thailand (small purple/blue fragrant woodland flowers), but that's what it reminds me of - bluebells, ginger and honey - it's incredible. And I have one bud left...:(

Mine were round about 12 weeks to flower, so I guess if they're starting now, that should be maybe first week of November? I'm sure it won't be too cold for them over there...:)

ThaiPhoon

12 weeks...OK, I don't know why I had 9 or 10 in my head...

I don't know about the bluebells here. Not much woodlands here, mostly jungle / rainforest.

You're right about November...But, it does get "relatively" cold here...The temps can get down to about 15 degrees Celcius at night. It may make for some pretty colors..?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
It may make for some pretty colors..?
I'm sure it will; one of my friend's plants, pheno 1, looks like it will purple up. As for the flower time, the cross I made of my two Goldfinger phenos with my MoFlo male should result in still-shorter flowering. If it were ten weeks I would be overjoyed.

But that's for the future...:)

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Beautiful! Pic 2 is interesting - the single-bladed leaves showing so early on wasn't apparent on my phenos. The bud looks really tight too. I'm just smoking some now actually, so this was perfect timing! :)

ThaiPhoon

Hey EM, that one with the single blades is the MG2Xf2 that started flowering way before the others. Also the one that was hardest hit with mites. I believe it is 2 possibly up to 4 weeks ahead of the others...I have to read back through the thread..The whole plant is probably only 2 feet tall. The shortest of the Goldfingers. She smells very fruity, but only when stick my nose right in there! ha

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
In that case it might be similar to my friend's pheno, which also started flowering very early, though that was as much to do with the days being too short. But it's stayed very bushy with much smaller leaves than the others.

ThaiPhoon

Hi EM,

These Goldfingers are fantastic! The ones with the Flo2 are much shorter and less bushy. They smell awesome. The trichs are really starting to form too! Here are a few pictures I took today...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
That's really cool ThaiPhoon - I'm really getting excited about these now. Here's the two Flo males used for reference.

#1 - tall purple pheno, more sativa-dominant:

#2 - small green pheno, more indica-dominant:

So that seems to correspond to what you're getting, and what my friend is too. I didn't have a large enough pool to really tell - mine seemed to be Malawi-dominant with modified traits in some areas - check the leaf serrations in male #2 against the serrations of my Goldfinger pheno #1! :chin:

I just have to try and find a business excuse to visit Thailand now, for when you chop these down! :)

Kepp up the good work - very impressive.

ThaiPhoon

I know it is probably difficult to see, but the purple colors from the flo 1 are also showing up in the plants father by it! You really did a fantastic job with this cross. They should all be finished by the middle of November...see ya then?!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Heh heh - I'd love to, believe me! Who knows...?

I'm just smoking the last piece of the last bud of the spicy #1 pheno - it's so sad, but there you go - just have to wait for my friend's to finish now to try some more. His should be very purple by the end I hope, which is really good news - more stealth potential for one thing...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I went up to my friend's today who has the two outdoor Goldfingers pictured recently. Sadly the beautiful purple Flo-leaning pheno is male. Still, I took a clone of it, as I may as well try and collect some pollen - I haven't had chance to grow out many, so I'm wary of just using the first male I get hold of, but it's such a good-looker that I'm really tempted.

I also took four clones of the definite female - #2 pictured - the bushy, small-leaf version. I think that one could be persuaded to grow OK indoors. It looks a little weird, and I think has a nute deficiency of some kind, but I'm sure I can bring it around.

muddy waters

This is a great thread Elevator Man... my hat is off to you. A lot of thought and effort went into this project compared to my typical "Is it pollen? Chuck it!" approach.

I have designs on a somewhat similar cross, between Swaziland sativa and Deep Chunk afghani. I need a larger area and a separate grow for personal in order to do it right. But this thread is an inspiration... I would especially love to catalog all the P1s F1s F2s used for inbreeding the line... are you thinking you will grow many more generations of Goldfinger? I look forward to accompanying that.