What's new

Golden Tiger Or Malawi?

Painfull

One will be my next grow. Which one would growers recommend and why? My setup will be a small 4 pot reservoir aero system with a 400w HPS lamp. Height is no issue and plan to start after I finish my grow of Flo so it will be maybe the winter. I would like to keep them under 4 ft.

:thank you:
Painfull :tiphat:

stimp

hey Painfull, I have only grown out Malawi so that's all I can speak for, I enjoyed it so much I purchased all the current offerings that contain Malawi. I wouldn't count Golden tiger out so easily, all those who have grown it out seem to love it. Although I don't weigh harvest, it was definitely a solid yielder with dense and resinous buds. I have almost lost my sense of smell, but what I could smell was very pleasant. I really don't look for yield, smell or taste, but the effect. And I was more than impressed with effects, very powerful high, didn't find it particularly social effect because I was always so high I would be lost in my own thoughts, more than enough power to be a bit scary. Friends who smoke seldomly don't enjoy it and find it a bit to much to handle. She grows trouble free, has dense buds with good bag appeal (if you look for that), good yielder, has the potency and effects. so far its my all time favorite. And this is why I would recommend Malawi. Either one you choose, I doubt you will be disappointed. Good luck with whichever way you go.

Painfull

Thanks stimp> I just want to hear from growers like you what the possibilities are for both. What the differences is. I always used the term high for sativas and stone for indicas but some use stoned for their description for Malawi and golden Tiger? Is there indica in these strains? Or is it just too complex to explain....lol...

Painfull:thank you:

Last edited:

stimp

No problem Painfull, I too use high for sativas and stone for indicas. There are is no indica in either of these, I have however used stone to describe Malawi. Definitely not in the same sense as an indica though, not a lethargic couch lock, but an "im too high and in deep thought" to accomplish much. For me, I could still get things done no problem if I needed to, because as I mentioned it didn't sap my energy, I just preferred to sit and ponder things. It does have a bit of a body effect as well though, again not extremely stoney like an indica, but just made my body and muscles feel perfectly relaxed and relieved all tension. I think stoned is tossed around in descriptions for these two strains because the effect of them is not exactly what most expect from a pure sativa, if your expecting/looking for a clear, energizing and no body effect, these strains probably aren't for you. I describe it as the best of both worlds, very powerful/slightly psychedelic head high with just the right amount of body stone. The first time I smoked Malawi I had a relatively small joint and walked into my house. As I put my jacket into my bedroom I started to become immersed in thoughts about anything and everything. I was going to give a friend a call, but being in such deep thought I sat on my bed and continued to think instead, and planned to call him in a few minutes. I laid on my bed and thought "my body feels like gold" lol. It was over an hour before I realized I forgot to call and had just been sitting/laying on my bed thinking. As I mention in my earlier post its not particularly social and does not give an energizing "party weed" high many associate with pure sativas, and I believe this is why stoned is often used in their descriptions.

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
Hey guys- Im still waiting to see some pics of their new purple Malawi x killer Malawi that dubi taked about earlier This year in another thread.

Oneiros

Hey guys- Im still waiting to see some pics of their new purple Malawi x killer Malawi that dubi taked about earlier This year in another thread.

Hey jammie, i believe that dubi meant Purple Haze x killer Malawi. I'm not 100% about it though I'd be interested in dropping those beans!

:tiphat:

Oneiros

Thanks stimp> I just want to hear from growers like you what the possibilities are for both. What the differences is. I always used the term high for sativas and stone for indicas but some use stoned for their description for Malawi and golden Tiger? Is there indica in these strains? Or is it just too complex to explain....lol...

Painfull:thank you:

FWIW, I'm about 11 weeks into flowering 2 Golden Tigers... Of the 8 strains in my garden GT is the highest yielder, the frostiest, and seemingly, the healthiest girls.
I dried some premature "budlets" and smoked... It's not quite matured enough, but still, "stoned" is an apt word for its effect on me. I would not smoke this before making any important decisions..
;)

I'm also growing 1 Zamaldelica (reg), 2 Panama, 3 Tropical Mix at 11 weeks into flower.

stimp

Sounds like a great line up Oneiros :). Im super exicited for that Malawi x purple haze release, but I do think I recall in a Malawi thread, that was by tolkin bowls if I remember correctly, could be wrong, In which he got a purple Malawi phenol that dubi did mention he was working on a purple Malawi release as he said it wasn't quite as strong, but better smelling and tasting. Again this info could be incorrect.

Painfull

Very interesting. What color was the trics on that Malawi? Wonder if the golden tiger would be more up since it is crossed with thai. I would love to grow a purple haze but 25 weeks flowering is just too long for me.

Pain

Zanddar

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello Painfull

Stimp described Malawi well.I find myself in deep thought and not moving anywhere,anytime soon.
The day appears to pass by while in deep thought.Makes my body feel powerful,almost invincible.

Panama is another you should consider.It is a dreamy smoke and very sociable.More of a party weed this one though.
It is good for promoting warm thoughts.Both yield nice resin covered bud.

These are the only two I have experience with so far.So many others I want to try though.
Ace has a nice selection you can't find anywhere else.Good people too.You can't go wrong.

Good Day

kamyo

Veteran
No experience with Malawi on its own, but Golden Tiger is amazing. I like to think that the Thai really helps the Malawi in the cross and vice versa. Malawi gives it that heavy hitting aspect, while the Thai help keep it very sativa in a traditional sense. Not sure if that makes sense, but GT is something everyone should try.

Painfull

Ace has some interesting strains. Malawi caught my eye because it seemed like a short flowering sativa 12-14 weeks and a good yielder. The opposite of most pure or haze strains are. So Ace is putting out a Purple Haze x Malawi cross? That sounds like another good mix. Thinking of maybe doing two different strains together, as long as the flowering times can finish at the same time.
Keep the good reply's coming in as I learn more about these strains.

Painfull :tiphat:

stimp

Painfull if you were asking what colour my trics were, there were mostly cloudy with a fair amount of clear, I had no choice but to take it a bit early due to moving, probably took them at 11-12 weeks, definitely going full 14 next run. As for your inquiry about golden tiger being a bit more "up", I believe in a thread asking the difference in effects of Malawi, GT, and zamaldelica, dubi's words were along the lines of "Golden tiger is similar to Malawi, but a bit more up and crazy". but of course have no person experience with her yet.

Painfull

Hello simp> Yes I have read something about it and also dubi said Zamaldelica was the most up of the 3. GT, Malawi. It just the long flowering times I am concerned about, otherwise I would grow a haze. But I have time to decide before my Flo is ready it's only on the 16th day of flowering and I would have to wait after the summer to start another grow. But all the advice is very helpful and interesting. Since I grow small I only would select from their feminized strains. That is great that Ace is offering fem. strains I couldn't get before.

Painfull:tiphat:

Oneiros

Hello simp> Yes I have read something about it and also dubi said Zamaldelica was the most up of the 3. GT, Malawi. It just the long flowering times I am concerned about, otherwise I would grow a haze.

I'm at 11 weeks with GT, Z, and Panama... I'll have to harvest in 2 weeks due to changing residences. Having taken premature samples to dry and smoke, the Z is the most complete and complex with regards to aroma, flavor, smoke texture, and high. The most resinous is GT, but the best high is with Panama... which keeps getting better with each sample. All I want to smoke is Panama but i don't want to "steal" from my future harvest. My Zamaldelica is smaller and yields less, but it's such a joy to smoke! I have 1 Z and 2 GT. I would definitely rather have 2 Z's and 1 GT. I have no experience with the female Zamaldelica which is Zamal x Malawi killer, without any Thai. I grew the regular, which is Zamal x Malawi/Thai.

Last edited:

Painfull

Nice grow of different strains. I guess after a good cure you can really find out their full effects. Please update us with a smoke report and thanks for your nice reply. I had Panama years ago in the 70ties. Still looking for some of the old Columbian gold we had back then.

Painfull:tiphat: