What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger, First attempt

Sparkus_Maximus

High everyone, So I have a GT Lady started 12/12 from seed that began showing pistils in natural daylight here @37N just before Christmas. Was topped and super-cropped early on down to 4 branches and recently transplanted into a 3-gal. smart pot. Since the stretch ended, I've just allowed her to do her own thing, and she seems to like it. My question is, will she continue flowering despite the daylight hours beginning to increase in March? Obviously the last thing I want is her to revert back to vegetative stage as a result of the increasing day-length. I'd hate to have to cram her into my little 2X2 in order to finish her properly, not to mention having to switch to artificial lighting. Any advice is highly appreciated friends :

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_144839454.jpg
    IMG_20240125_144839454.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20240125_142727784.jpg
    IMG_20240125_142727784.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Wow, you are bringing out the best in that plant friend. I'm surprised how well shes growing with window light. Thank you for sharing and keep us posted.
Thank you 😊 , She actually gets around 4.5 hrs. of direct sunlight, with the rest working out to ample-daylight. This is a test-run of this strain, I'm glad I only ended up with one female, otherwise I would not have the space for multiple-specimens of this lanky lady. So far the experiment is coming along, and I'm glad her Sativa-Self is able to continue thriving in the natural Light for now. Unfortunately I will have to cram her inside the tent for the last several weeks (months?) of her Loong flowering cycle, as the natural photoperiod will increase significantly in about 5 more weeks, and I don't want her to revert back to vegetative. Someone on here said that GT will continue flowering until finished, despite the increasing photoperiod in early Spring, but I have no way to be certain of this. Would be great to hear Dubi's opinion, not to mention - ''Which GT phenotype'' does this one lean-towards? (Thai or Malawi)🌴. Just today I noticed a light Lemony Smell along with a bit of preliminary-stickiness while handling one of the main branches. I guess I will have to play it by ear and see how she looks in 5- weeks, and after that she'll have to finish inside the tent, on 11/13 🍀.

Last edited:

Cannabrainer

High everyone, So I have a GT Lady started 12/12 from seed that began showing pistils in natural daylight here @37N just before Christmas. Was topped and super-cropped early on down to 4 branches and recently transplanted into a 3-gal. smart pot. Since the stretch ended, I've just allowed her to do her own thing, and she seems to like it. My question is, will she continue flowering despite the daylight hours beginning to increase in March? Obviously the last thing I want is her to revert back to vegetative stage as a result of the increasing day-length. I'd hate to have to cram her into my little 2X2 in order to finish her properly, not to mention having to switch to artificial lighting. Any advice is highly appreciated friends :
That is a lovely lady. Something similar happened to me. My plants simply did not start to flower untill the natural light here reached 9 hours or less. I kid you not. I will cut one plant today and the other on the weekend. They can only get fattier, but the quality has already been there for at least a week in my case and being the Thai leaning version, I suspect they could have gone much longer. One went for 18 weeks, the other could have gone for 22, but I did not post her because moving the plant from outside to the window sill resulted in some PM (it is very rainy, humid, and cold here now for tropical plants), the other has been flowering for 20 weeks and will be chopped soon.

In your case, seeing that your plant is even more behind, I would move her to a tent and keep her on at least an 11 hour cycle of light or less.

Sparkus_Maximus

That is a lovely lady. Something similar happened to me. My plants simply did not start to flower untill the natural light here reached 9 hours or less. I kid you not. I will cut one plant today and the other on the weekend. They can only get fattier, but the quality has already been there for at least a week in my case and being the Thai leaning version, I suspect they could have gone much longer. One went for 18 weeks, the other could have gone for 22, but I did not post her because moving the plant from outside to the window sill resulted in some PM (it is very rainy, humid, and cold here now for tropical plants), the other has been flowering for 20 weeks and will be chopped soon.

In your case, seeing that your plant is even more behind, I would move her to a tent and keep her on at least an 11 hour cycle of light or less.
Thank You and Yes, That's the plan... I'll let her continue flowering for the next month in the same environment, and when the daylight hrs begin to increase, I'll move her inside the tent under 11/13 with 10/14 being the other option I'm considering.

Sparkus_Maximus

My God those flowering times... Lol . But then again, I love landrace strains and am a Sativa fan, so it was an easy choice, if you overlook those flowering times, for the sake of Science. Still, I bet the properly cured product lives up to GT's Dynamite - reputation, after all that seemingly endless flowering. Yet I always read how Worth It the final effects / taste / overall cured quality of the GT tends to be.

Cannabrainer

My God those flowering times... Lol . But then again, I love landrace strains and am a Sativa fan, so it was an easy choice, if you overlook those flowering times, for the sake of Science. Still, I bet the properly cured product lives up to GT's Dynamite - reputation, after all that seemingly endless flowering. Yet I always read how Worth It the final effects / taste / overall cured quality of the GT tends to be.
Yes, these thai leaning ones flower for a long time but they are worth it. I mean my Amnesia Haze x Chocolate Rain planta flowered for 12 weeks and the quality of the smoke is only now peaking after almost three months curing. Imagine the v3 Golden Tiger.

Again, awesome job and be patient. The test drives I have done on some buds I nipped have been incredible. 'Get up and go now' kind of weed. Crystal Clear. Only energy without anxiety or paranoia.

I will keep following your thread my friend.

Sparkus_Maximus

Yes, these thai leaning ones flower for a long time but they are worth it. I mean my Amnesia Haze x Chocolate Rain planta flowered for 12 weeks and the quality of the smoke is only now peaking after almost three months curing. Imagine the v3 Golden Tiger.

Again, awesome job and be patient. The test drives I have done on some buds I nipped have been incredible. 'Get up and go now' kind of weed. Crystal Clear. Only energy without anxiety or paranoia.

I will keep following your thread my friend.
Thank you for the advice and compliments friend🌴, This is what I keep hearing, so last Summer i pulled tha-trigger and got some of Ace's GT regulars, started a few 12/12 from seed, and this one ended up being my Lady-Keeper. I'm always looking for good / uplifting and functional Sativas for accomplishing rudimentary tasks, or for a work-out session, anything active is made a little brighter regardless of time of day, by the likes of such Sativa-Power⚡🌿. I ran a NLx Haze decades ago from Marc Emery seeds / BCSC and the keeper was truly spectacular. NL growth pattern and stature, with the funky UP-Lifting effect that Haze#1 is know for. If I remember correctly, that plant finished at around 10-11 weeks, with tight solid resinous buds that had a distinct sweet n sour smell / taste. Grown with no more than 4- wks veg under a little 150w -HPS in a cab space of about 1.5 sq. ft. After a good cure, the buds ended up quite compact and resin-coated, with a unique sweet and sour taste and aroma, along with a rapid-onset Sativa High, that could keep you awake all night. Everyone who tried it asked about afterwards, while raving about the fantastic Sativa High, smell and unique flavor. If I remember correctly, that little bushy lady provided only about 1.5 -zips of the Type of Quality Smoke there is never enough of to go around, until the last roach. I wonder if BCSC got theirs from Sensi's original stock, that one was a keeper from a 10- pack of regular NL#5 x Haze #1 / BCSC many moons ago. I would love to run this pheno again in the future, if it's Sensi's original, then it may even be worth the steep price.

Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

After this Tigress is finally harvested, it will be the perfect time to put he outside and let her re-veg for a bit. I'd like to try her outside full season but considering she will be already be re-vegging in May, such a long upcoming veg time will cause her to become FKN - Gargantuan 🌴 by the time she finishes her stretch outdoors. I do have some vertical space to give her, but I'm not sure I want to wrestle with her for months on end, while she seemingly never stops stretching and expanding in all possible directions. I'll probably reveg her for only a month in order to begin a LST / canopy and flower her indoors under 11/13 or 10/14. Currently she's beginning to put on some trichomes that smell of -spicy lemons, quite nice and unlike anything i've ran in a long time. I'm guessing I actually do have the Thai Leaning phenotype as Dubi mentioned earlier, I'm excited about this being the case. I can imagine a finished / cured product with some pronounced Sativa smells, flavors and of course, the up / heady effects✨. Never tried anything X'd with Malawi, so it's going to be interesting to see how both Sativa expressions will manifest themselves in this one plant🐯.

Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Here is my GT-Lady today, about 2 weeks before I will unfortunately have to put her inside under artificial lighting in order to finish her properly. Today's photo is at about week 7 in since first pistils. Pic was taken at dusk, otherwise it's impossible since the entire area looks like a radiant nuclear-blast fall-out footprint due to its direct sun exposure each afternoon 🌞😎

Attachments

• IMG_20240225_163913632.jpg
    IMG_20240225_163913632.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Yesterday I moved her inside my tent alongside the Double Black ( Black Domina 98' ) from G-13 Labs, looking quite dwarfed by the looming GT-stature . She flowered for about 8- weeks in natural light / greenhouse and now she's on a 11/13 photoperiod. Hopefully she will finish in another 5-6 weeks 🍀, The double black is about 2- weeks in right now so she should be ready to come down shortly after the GT, but we'll have to see 👀

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_195325937_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240301_195325937_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Had to remove an OG Kush (DNA freebie) from the main tent in order to fit the sprawling GT in there. The OG is now in her own little box under a 100w LED, 11/13 photoperiod and showed her first pistils a couple of days ago. One branch nearly snapped-off while super-cropping, so I used a clothespin to keep it from wilting and to hold it upright, until she mends that branch in a few days. Alongside are 3 little C-99 seedlings in solo cups, waiting to indicate. These were originally from Joey Weed stock, and I made about 100 beans last season in order to keep Cinderella around. Since I don't have more space at the moment, I only started 3- seeds mainly to test their germ rate. Once they indicate I'll most likely transplant those couple of females into little 1/2 gal. containers and flower them right along with the OG Kush Lady.

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_201323674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240301_201323674_HDR.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Sparkus_Maximus

Here is my GT recently switched to a 10/14 cycle and placed under a 200w 6500K LED flood-lamp. By the end of the month, she will be around 16- weeks in, and (hopefully)... almost done. The bigger colas have developed nice trichomes and the pistils have mostly withered brown, so I am hoping she is finally getting close. The main colas look ''nearly'' there, while the others still have quite a few fresh pistils. Wish I could get a nice pic of the resin, but no such luck, nevertheless she is getting- sticky and the pistils / trichs are starting to let me know she doesn't have much longer to go. Been flushing her for around 2- weeks now, will update again by month's end and see how things are looking then.

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_184802437.jpg
    IMG_20240412_184802437.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I really admire your determination in seeing this lady through to the end, @Sparkus_Maximus :) impressive colas, well done! I estimate she'll be ready around the second week of May. If you have the chance, post some close-up pics of the most representative colas, and I'll take a look. Consider harvesting when the resin is super lively and sticky, with the most intense and best-defined terpenes. By the way, how does your girl smell?

Growers can expect longer flowering times on average with Golden Tiger regular seeds compared to the feminized version.

Sparkus_Maximus

I really admire your determination in seeing this lady through to the end, @Sparkus_Maximus :) impressive colas, well done! I estimate she'll be ready around the second week of May. If you have the chance, post some close-up pics of the most representative colas, and I'll take a look. Consider harvesting when the resin is super lively and sticky, with the most intense and best-defined terpenes. By the way, how does your girl smell?

Growers can expect longer flowering times on average with Golden Tiger regular seeds compared to the feminized version.
Thank You Dubi, I harvested her a couple days ago, had no other choice concerning an upcoming visit to my residence. I will give her a good long cure before a Long-Awaited try, and I cannot wait for that ! I still have 5 original seeds left from the regular-pack and will plan the next run better, in order to (really try) to get her mature under natural sunlight here in 37N in the future. All things considered; I am impressed with how much resin she actually put-out as she came (fairly- close) to maturity, even under my Little old - fashioned 200w 6500K LED flood lamp in an area a little less than 2x2. I think the Golden Tigress has a Lot of potential, even indoors from what I have seen on this little test-run here. Once cured I will post some dry nug-shots, she smells spicy a bit like black-pepper with a bit of zesty lemon peel fragrance, in the early stages drying (today). Maybe that can help you speculate if she is leaning towards the Thai or Malawi (or possibly a combination of both). I am assuming the peppery scent could be from Malawi while the Lemon-Zest comes from the Thai(?). Just speculating here. Never had Malawi, but I have had Thai-Hybrids from various breeders in the past years ago. In any case, thank you for doing great work with your fellow ''buds'' @ Ace Seeds my friend!

Last edited:

StickyBandit

With the small size you managed to keep her to you might have been able to continue with the natural light through covering to shorten the day maybe or placing her in a closet??
Looks like she was coming on good, a shame you had to pull pin 👌
I ruined my grow but it was still a very good smoke, I can only imagine it's potential :)

LunaAndCharlie

Thank You Dubi, I harvested her a couple days ago, had no other choice concerning an upcoming visit to my residence. I will give her a good long cure before a Long-Awaited try, and I cannot wait for that ! I still have 5 original seeds left from the regular-pack and will plan the next run better, in order to (really try) to get her mature under natural sunlight here in 37N in the future. All things considered; I am impressed with how much resin she actually put-out as she came (fairly- close) to maturity, even under my Little old - fashioned 200w 6500K LED flood lamp in an area a little less than 2x2. I think the Golden Tigress has a Lot of potential, even indoors from what I have seen on this little test-run here. Once cured I will post some dry nug-shots, she smells spicy a bit like black-pepper with a bit of zesty lemon peel fragrance, in the early stages drying (today). Maybe that can help you speculate if she is leaning towards the Thai or Malawi (or possibly a combination of both). I am assuming the peppery scent could be from Malawi while the Lemon-Zest comes from the Thai(?). Just speculating here. Never had Malawi, but I have had Thai-Hybrids from various breeders in the past years ago. In any case, thank you for doing great work with your fellow ''buds'' @ Ace Seeds my friend!
Wow so glad to see other GT growers. New here but I have been trying to find information on this strain forever! We got 2 seeds from ACE, planting it not knowing what to expect. It outgrew my tent by a foot easily (24×24×48). I planted it in the middle of December and just harvested last week. The smells it has are very strange. It's the oddest strain I have ever grown. The smell is like peanut butter but has a funky undertone. The high is absolutely crippling. Very very powerful. I have always thought sativas were meant for getting stuff done.... lol the only thing that was done was me! This grow was a marathon. It seemed like it was growing FOREVER. I highly doubt I will be growing this one again. I was able to harvest 87 grams off my plant. The buds are very airy with absolutely no density. The flowers aren't really even bud looking if that makes sense. The buds are basically just calyxs' with no real flower formation. If the flower were desner I think the yield would have been in the LB range not OZ.

Latest posts

Latest posts