What's new

Gmax 3rd round knockout

G

GMax

hello icmag !!:wave:

My landlord did his walkthrough and everything went swell...no one else knows i grow so i had to strategically hide all my equipment and my SB moms throughout the house but had no issues

So now i have another whole year of stress free growing, hopefully.

without wasting anymore time.....

here is a pic of one of my rooms all cleared out...

I plan on having 2 rooms on a flip flop, both spaces are 14'x12' and i have 10x10 tents in them..for now it just gonna be the one room and once my first harvests come in I will build the second

i will be keeping the cooler systems for the first room and i am building 2 more coolers so i can have an octagon which should increase my yeilds and quicken my harvests to every 5-6 days instead of 7-8 . i broke my personal record twice before i had to shut down.... my last 3 crops were 201.6g 157.3g and 202g... if i can average 200g per crop with 8 coolers, the combination of perpetual harvests and fast flowerin strain will yeild me 23-25lbs/year per room and still not even 1gpw

here are the few changes i have made so far.....

i will be doing a shameless copy of bobble's radiator cooling method for both rooms (thanks bobble) it really appeals to me because now i dont require an open window in the dead of winter

i also upgraded to a 50gal rez since i will also be using the generator...while there is only 1 room i will duct the Co2 directly into the tent and then once there is two rooms i will just keep the space between the tents controlled and use intake/exhaust to bring air into tents

here is the tent coming along...

i will be flowering out most of these moms ASAP

and finished..

i was gonna build the tents out of 2x4s but i had this idea in a dream to drain the coolers through PVC frame,i will put pics and explain when i get to that point,so i decided to go this route plus it will be easy to take apart and that means alot to me now

thats all for now i have clones to take and a bunch of work to do..i will update as it comes along

thanks for stoppin by

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sounds like you got your ducks lined up mate, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

What strains are those moms your flowering out? How strong is that tent?

G

GMax

Nice grow dude!

Does the rocking chair add to yield?

lol if it did i would have a whole room of them lol thanks

Sounds like you got your ducks lined up mate, looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

What strains are those moms your flowering out? How strong is that tent?

the moms are Sour Bubble she is gonna be my main girl for a min...i love her fast flowering time, decent yeilds and great smoke..

the tent is sturdy but i dont plan on hanging much but lights....i have very few crossbars in the ceiling as well but i could add more to add to its sturdiness
:lurk:

note;

PVC and plant do not get along together. Homebox f/e had to change their tent materials from pvc to PA and PE

i have heard this actually...it has been unseasonably warm the last few days so i took all the PVC and hid it between my fence and these bushes so no one could see and let all the PVC sit out in the sun for a few days to cure...this should get rid of any probs associated w/ that *fingers crossed* if not it cost less than $150 to build and only took 2hrs so it wouldnt be much to chalk up....good lookin out on the heads up

thanks guys

I got my flowering room finished....flowering out 2 of my moms and keeping my keeper for another couple weeks why new moms get bigger

here is the top row of my veg

even have a fresh seedling of SB she is really short and stout and has grown more horizontally then vertical ...still got 12 beans left

i am vegging in a closet in my basement....it is 3'x9' and it has shelving on both sides do i can have top and bottom layer

here i have my conrol center outside the tent.... inside the 50g rez is a 1056gph pump for the radiator...a 1500gph pump for the Co2 generator and a 396gph pump for the chiller

the chiller is situated outside of the growing area....

here you can see my two moms that are started flowering last night...you can also see my radiator..it 17"x34" and i have it on top of buckets with a powerful shop fan blowing through it...it is working excellent !!! but i dont like the buckets need to figure out something less bulky ....I may just duct in the coil part with dow corning and attach a powerfuil inline fan to it kinda like a AC box...you can also see my recirculating carbon filter and yeild adding chair ....until i have the second room built this tent is going to be sealed (99%)

dont mind the water on ground i just had a accident

thats it for now i have to take clones so i can get ready for the first round and i trashed all the 1/2" PVC that delivers water in my coolers so i need to rebuild those too

keep questions coming.. thanks :wave:

bobblehead

Veteran

thats it for now i have to take clones so i can get ready for the first round and i trashed all the 1/2" PVC that delivers water in my coolers so i need to rebuild those too

keep questions coming.. thanks :wave:

That is so awesome! How do you like the heat exchanger? Works nice, huh?Nice DIY tent too. Keep it up!

G

GMax

That is so awesome! How do you like the heat exchanger? Works nice, huh?Nice DIY tent too. Keep it up!

hey bobble, bro i love this heat exhanger... i was a little weary at first because it was gonna be expensive because i didnt have any of the accesorries...chiller, rez, etc...but now i will never look back. it works so much better than my 12000btu AC did and i am still using no air echanges...and gonna get my investment back in electric savings and open up more room $$$ for lights

you said you dropped the cash for a radiator fan how much was it ??

what are you thoughts on boxing in the coil part and attaching a inline fan and raising the radiator with 2x4s ???

it working well as is...just wondering

glad you could make it bobble thanks for your help ..now i just need freds to give his monocrop...dialage...babyshit speech and make this thread official

AlexTrebek

This journal is chalk full of good old poorman DIY.
That radiator is awesome and so is that massive PVC tent.
Are those Quantum's?

@GMax

'' Polyvinyl chloride is a thermoplastic polymer. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is unique in its high chlorine and additives (softeners) content, which makes it an environmental poison throughout its life cycle. ''

That sounds bad. I was hoping that curing the PVC would help. Just found it on the Homebox site.

bobblehead

Veteran
hey bobble, bro i love this heat exhanger... i was a little weary at first because it was gonna be expensive because i didnt have any of the accesorries...chiller, rez, etc...but now i will never look back. it works so much better than my 12000btu AC did and i am still using no air echanges...and gonna get my investment back in electric savings and open up more room $$$ for lights

you said you dropped the cash for a radiator fan how much was it ??

what are you thoughts on boxing in the coil part and attaching a inline fan and raising the radiator with 2x4s ???

it working well as is...just wondering

glad you could make it bobble thanks for your help ..now i just need freds to give his monocrop...dialage...babyshit speech and make this thread official

Well let me tell you about my radiator fan... lol... I got the cheapest one, like $25. After 1 month, I broke 1, and the other died from continuous use. I don't think they were rated for 24/7 use... lol...

So... You would need to hook them up to a cooling controller, but screw that... Which leads us to the box with an inline fan. Do it. That was going to be my next move, but I've removed the radiator from my room entirely... and I'm going to focus on cooling the intake.

I do still think that the best position for the radiator is on the floor under the lights... b/c the heat is being extracted from the ceiling... and being pulled up from the bottom of the room. If you put the radiator on the ceiling, the pump has to work against gravity to get the water up to the ceiling, and then the radiator is absorbing excess heat that would otherwise just be sucked out of the room.

So, build your box sir... and direct the air in the room over the coils, but don't blast air from an inline fan directly at your lamps... put a cap on the fan so the air gets diffused throughout the room...

bobblehead

Veteran
@GMax

'' Polyvinyl chloride is a thermoplastic polymer. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is unique in its high chlorine and additives (softeners) content, which makes it an environmental poison throughout its life cycle. ''

That sounds bad. I was hoping that curing the PVC would help. Just found it on the Homebox site.

If the chlorine in PVC was so poisonous, would we use it in our household plumbing? I mean I don't suggest you eat PVC shavings... but lots of people grow with household PVC and haven't observed any ill effects.

G

GMax

This journal is chalk full of good old poorman DIY.
That radiator is awesome and so is that massive PVC tent.
Are those Quantum's?

No they are not quantums....they are a exact knockoff that one of my local hydro stores produces.. i have seen the inside and they look exactly the same.

they work great..they are dimmable+110% and only $170 for a 600w with a 5yr no questions asked warranty

Dude lied and told me they are RF shielded tho and they arent....went through like 3 cheap bluetooths for my PS3 and friends said they were all scratchy but they worked fine during the few weeks i wasnt growing

i stopped dealing with that store after a few other shady situations..

i like the one in the middle though it is a Galaxy...never owned a Quantum, may give them a try next

@GMax

I rememeber seeing the thread for the Homebox off gasing that happened to a lot of people but i never owned one so i never read it so i am unfamiliar with the subject

but i would imagine lots of things offgas if they havent got a chance to cure....the homebox co probably had a big factory where they were cutting fresh PVC or even making their own and putting it in boxes for shipping.

as i am typing this i am noticing a rubbermaid container in the corner of my room...these are probably made by pouring a liquid plastic into a type of mold and letting it dry. i use a lot of these in my grow and i would imagine that if i bout one fresh dry of the factory line and used it i would have probs, i am no scientist tho

also i thought i heard it was the walls of the homebox that were offgassing??

i always get my PVC from HD and have built many things with it including my current system and never had any issues but i will definaltely keep my eye out thanks

Well let me tell you about my radiator fan... lol... I got the cheapest one, like $25. After 1 month, I broke 1, and the other died from continuous use. I don't think they were rated for 24/7 use... lol...

So... You would need to hook them up to a cooling controller, but screw that... Which leads us to the box with an inline fan. Do it. That was going to be my next move, but I've removed the radiator from my room entirely... and I'm going to focus on cooling the intake.

I do still think that the best position for the radiator is on the floor under the lights... b/c the heat is being extracted from the ceiling... and being pulled up from the bottom of the room. If you put the radiator on the ceiling, the pump has to work against gravity to get the water up to the ceiling, and then the radiator is absorbing excess heat that would otherwise just be sucked out of the room.

So, build your box sir... and direct the air in the room over the coils, but don't blast air from an inline fan directly at your lamps... put a cap on the fan so the air gets diffused throughout the room...

thanks for the advice i am definately gonna do that...

also you said they was a special peice you got from Home Depot to connect the tubing to the radiator ? any chance i can get a pic of it ??

i dont know what specs your radiator was but my outlet is like 1 3/4" and it is bigger than the largest tubing i can find... i have no choice but to rig it with tape right now and it dripping slightly...if i cant figure something out i am bout to plastic weld it

putting on some finishing touches more pic tom thanks guys

PVC really is that poisonous. Factoryworker got ill because of working there, but read these days the PVC materials used are less poisonous.

Anyway we have to keep in mind that the plants we work with are organs. Like our lungs take oxigen from the air, the leafs take gasses from the air. A leaf basically is a lung inside out. That vounerable part is exposed to the influences from outside.

This motivates me to make sure I do not work with poisonous materials at all! Like glued wood, paints, plastics, metals and wood because that will rot after higher humidity situations.

Here is a list of cheap materials that normally would cost a bit compared to those materials that do not sweat toxic gasses or cause damage to the plant at contact. These materials are easy to get and also are relativelly easy work with. We could use screws/nails or affortable glues to make a room with.

The materials like PE and PA f/e that are not toxic but this is not easy to work with in a DIY setup. Glue does not connect these materials, not the affortable glues. We have to weld this stuff or purchase very expensive glue.

The Homebox walls were offgassing which caused plants to suffer. So a larger part of the room was the source of toxicities.

I bet you will be abled to minimise the damage but I am pretty sure that expelling all the knowns toxic materials from the room will get you a better basic setup. Here you will be abled to observe the potencies of the plants better.

But who am I to say what you should do, it is my opinion. Strategically it would IMO be better for learning of the plant.

The plants will burn when the bulbs are to close. Cold will slow them down and heat will stress the shit out of them. Who is using airpots? We all have seen the positive effects only this pot had to the plants. So even regular pots slow the plants down eventually even when these are made of non toxic plastics.

Even the gassing of the central house warming system fills rooms with to much of toxic gasse to grow plants in.

So many 'toxic' influences on the plants already in a 'non-toxic' room. We better start off with materials that cause no harm at all. Because is it not already really hard to get to stable optimal environmental values?

Have nice day all!

G

GMax

@hushem i appreciate the info and i am keeping my eye out...supposedly it was the poly walls that were offgassing and that kinda poly got discontinued, but if i get yellow zebra stripes i will know why. thank you

I have been busy with Christmas and been having issues with the radiator leaking. I tried EVERYTHING to get it under control with no luck and i finally got it fixed with this...

I boxed in the radiator and added a 750cfm inline fan to the top with a rain gaurd...it is working better this way and the cool air is evenly distributed in 6 different directions, and reflects my light back towards plants... here it is

after tomorrow i should have a accurate min/max temp reading

I also have my Co2 generator all hooked up. it required double wall ducting which was kinda expensive and i ducted it right into the ve tent...also the pump required for it is SOOO loud it sounds like i have Niagra Falls in there so i need to figure out some sound proofing

My moms are on day 4 flowering...they arent as healthy as i would like bc the outgrew their veg room a long time ago and the received some light burn from touching cfls....it is mostly cosmetic but they are bouncing back

I took a batch of clones a few days ago and i still waiting on roots. I plan to have my first cooler full in about a week and i am taking more clones today and then i will be on schedule

thats is all for now

damn, sucks you have to clear your place out for the landlord, but atleast you can go for another year stress free hopefully. i can see this being a good source of info for new and experienced vertical gardeners alike. big ups on the set up, i dig the idea of using a tent, i might have to make one similar. good luck with those mommas they look like their about ready to explode with buds!

bobblehead

Veteran
That radiator box is awesome! Good job homie! I was thinking today about how I'm going to design everything so that I can add the radiators later.. cause it's such a great way to control temps.... and saves on the power.

The ice box is where I originally got the idea... but for $150-200, I knew I could make one that was bigger and better... Overkill is underrated.
2827250902p

Keep up the great work!

D

DHF

Aight.....it`s official....

Monocrop....Dialage...Babyshit....

Handle it....Freds....:ying:......

G

GMax

damn, sucks you have to clear your place out for the landlord, but atleast you can go for another year stress free hopefully. i can see this being a good source of info for new and experienced vertical gardeners alike. big ups on the set up, i dig the idea of using a tent, i might have to make one similar. good luck with those mommas they look like their about ready to explode with buds!

hey thanks

the landlord never even did his walkthrough but our furnace broke down and he had to come over and hire someone to fix it so he came in but didnt really inspect.....

this brings me to my next point though....I got my co2 hooked up and plugged into the controller but my Co2 has not came on yet because my ppm are already 1300-1400....the only explaination is it is coming from my gas furnace which is in the room next the grow..it has hovered around these ppms for a few days now and there isnt much plant-wise in the tent to take in the Co2. the highest i have seen it go was 1475

...should i be worried or should i feel lucky

That radiator box is awesome! Good job homie! I was thinking today about how I'm going to design everything so that I can add the radiators later.. cause it's such a great way to control temps.... and saves on the power.

The ice box is where I originally got the idea... but for $150-200, I knew I could make one that was bigger and better... Overkill is underrated.
2827250902p

Keep up the great work!

yeah it is working awesome !! i only am burning 1200w right now but it hasnt reached over 72F. Since i am not using a air conditioner though my humidity is more of an issue..currently at 80% i just added a 35 pint dehumidifier i had laying around but i dont think that will be enough....I agree that overkill is underrated

i almost got a icebox a long time ago before i knew better when i was growing in a cab..but this radiator is like 8 of those iceboxes for the price of one

thanks for all your pm help getting this radiator up and running..props on the idea

Aight.....it`s official....

Monocrop....Dialage...Babyshit....

Handle it....Freds....:ying:......

hey glad you could make it :tiphat:

G

GMax

Not much new but here a few pics

My moms are making a nice turn around...not expecting much stretch since they have been 'topped' so much

got all the kinks worked out of the radiator and got my enviroment in check. I gonna turn the dehumidifier down after stretch

i took the last batch of clones from this mother last night, not much left of her so i am giving a heavy feeding and sending on her way

plenty of clones..

i got root bumps on the cloner in the back...gonna give the first batch a quick veg so i should have my first system full in a few days....

I made 2 more moms of my keeper Sour Bubble...

sadly the two seedlings were in a fragile period durinng the walkthrough so they didint survive so i am popping 5 more beans tonight

thats it for now
i hope everyone had happy holidays !!!!