What's new

Glob's Grow: 6-plant PPK, 600w + 400w stack + screens, MBS x [CGxC99] + MBS x MBSO

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
the thought of occupying one of my positions for 13 weeks makes me cringe! but it sounds like some pretty trippy stuff! i've often thought that if i were to go to the elite connoisseur route i would run killer sativas. but i would sure charge for it!

here in oregon we have labs and can analyze for thc content at various stages of growth and some interesting things have become apparent.

the old school thought was that you observed trichome color for harvest window timing. waiting until most were opaque with a few amber.

but testing has shown that you really don't want any amber if you're shooting for maximum thc.

a few clear with most opaque.

Last edited:

Globule

Day-92 (Week-13) of 12/12 - HARVEST TIME!

Day-92 (Week-13) of 12/12 - HARVEST TIME!

Hello people :tiphat:

Finally pulling finger out of bottom and finishing off this thread.

Here they are at Day-92 of 12/12 of that fateful day...

MBSxCGC99#1 Day-92 of 12/12:
picture.php

MBSxCGC99#2 Day-92 of 12/12:
picture.php

MBSxCGC99#3 Day-92 of 12/12:
picture.php

MBSxMBSO Day-92 of 12/12:
picture.php

I took all four plants down at 92 days (13-weeks) and hung them to dry for about 12-15 days (trimmed one plant per night).

I think I let them get a little bit too dry (too much air extraction) but they seem to be coming along fine in the curing jar now.

I tried doing some dry sift last night but I think my screen needs a wash in alcohol to clean it as I wasn't having much luck with it last night. Maybe it was a bit too warm to get good results.
Last time I tried dry-sifting it was winter and got some reasonable results then.

I got about 5 ounces of quality dried bud per plant and good a chunk of trim to make some coconut oil canna-caps from. My poor lungs need a break after I broke my bong stem a while ago…

Globule

Harvest day buds:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Hung up to dry:
picture.php

Will upload a few photos of them dried that are still on the camera when I remember.

Will be getting the room cleaned out and tweaked in preparation to switch to a horizontal-scrog in a week or two.
4-6 plants in PPKs under 2x 600w so hope you can join me then.

Thanks for hanging in there with me this run and all the best to you and your grow!!

Cheers!

Jhowemca

Globule great grow. Just finished reading it.

One thing that was driving me nuts in the pictures was how the screens are placed.
It looks like you have the screens behind the plants?

The way I grow in a scrog the plant is first, then the screen, then the light source.

I would have thought the vert scrog would be the same. Plant, screen, light.

The way you have it is more like what you could do with a few stakes.

If the plants were behind the screens you could have woven the branches through the screen instead of tieing all the branches to the screen.

Having them behind the screen would have also kept the "canopy?" more even, and further from the bulbs.

Nevertheless, great grow! I thoroughly enjoyed the read!

Jhowemca

I don't mean to criticize your grow. I just thought you could benefit from it in the future.

Did anyone else notice the screen placements?

It could be the correct way for all I know about vert scrog.

Just seemed backward to me?

Globule

Hey Jhowemca and thanks for the kind words mate! :tiphat:

Hehe I didn't take it as criticism at all. More than one way to grow vertical and it comes down to personal preference and growspace restrictions.

I used to do horizontal scrogs before I tried vertical screen growing and like you, I was familiar with tying/training my plants under the screens.

Some people do grow vertically and train the plants outside/behind cages/screens as you suggest, but I personally prefer to tie my plants to the front of the screen so that I can easily untie and move stems into better positions to receive better light/airflow as needed without having to pull stems back through the screen before readjusting.

The vertical 4'x2' screens I use provide better stability and more tether points to attach plants to than I would have if I was using stakes instead.

Many ways to skin a cat and many ways to grow vertical so you need to find what method style you enjoy and get results from :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Jhowemca

I can see doing it that way has its advantages now that you pointed them out.

I kinda like the vert scrog you did so much I've been thinking of trying it out myself!

Thanks for showing and explaining your method.

jaype

This is why I want to start growing vertical. Those are some big ass buds from top to bottom. Do you think it's as good as growing normal under a net as far as ease of growing. It looks like it would save space.

This is why I want to start growing vertical. Those are some big ass buds from top to bottom. Do you think it's as good as growing normal under a net as far as ease of growing. It looks like it would save space.

It's hard to say if it would be better for you. I like the concept, but like all options there are pros and cons.

420ish

it is the easiest way i think to get your yields up.if you run too many plants around the light it is hard to work on them and to not get alot of larf.i usually only ran 4 plants around 2 600 stacked.now running homemade cob lights 1 200 watt light bar per plant tied vertically!

Globule

I can see doing it that way has its advantages now that you pointed them out.

I kinda like the vert scrog you did so much I've been thinking of trying it out myself!

Thanks for showing and explaining your method.

You're very welcome Jhowemca!

I can highly recommend giving vertical growing a good go and you will learn more about how plants grow than you can learn only by only growing horizontal :)

I will be returning to trying a

Nice show Globs! Good job chap

Thanks Kushy-one!

Get a rabid baby-smelling dingo up ya buddy :biggrin:

good show.i tie them the same way you did!i think it is easier that way.

Thanks 420ish! I agree 100% with you agreeing with me :biggrin:

it is the easiest way i think to get your yields up.if you run too many plants around the light it is hard to work on them and to not get alot of larf.i usually only ran 4 plants around 2 600 stacked.now running homemade cob lights 1 200 watt light bar per plant tied vertically!

Yep agreed! I thought I could squeeze 5-6 plants around a double stack of 600w and I was wrong. For the height I wanted them they were too dense and crowded and harvest was a bit airy/fluffy.

MiraculousMeds kindly suggested four plants was a better number on my first vert grow but I thought I knew better and had to try more than four plants to see which was a mistake (which I have since learned from).

You can still see from this run that the bottom 1/2 or 1/3 of the screens are not filled with buds.

I believe if I did another vertical run I could get the lower part of the screens filled in better. The key to getting the whole screen filled it seems is to start training almost immediately on the screens before stems stretch and lignify too much. I started training a little late this run and so lost a bit of lower screen action as a result.

Good learning experience though as you are dealing with plant growth across two planes growing vertical instead of one plane with horizontal scrogs.

Hey jaype and thanks for the kind words about my BAB's (big ass buds) :biggrin:

If you are limited by floorspace then vertical is a great way to maximise your bud output within a given footprint. I'm more limited by the number of plants I am willing to grow within my growspace and so have enough floor space to do 4-6 plants in a good old fashioned horizontal scrog so am going to give that a blast this coming run.

I haven't done a horizontal scrog for a while now so would like to consolidate my knowledge to date and try it again in the PPK's in the bigger space that I have now. Last time I grew horizontal I was growing in cabinets using coco + blumats.

It's hard to say if it would be better for you. I like the concept, but like all options there are pros and cons.

Hey there CoB - different strokes bro.

Vertical growing is very productive and makes it easier to incorporate bare bulbs into your grow and maximise use of the light available.

But there is something intangible about growing plants across a screen horizontally that I didn't get growing plants vertically.
Not sure how to explain it other than that which is why it is all a personal preference as how you decide you want to go.

Try many different ways and change if/when you feel like trying something different and have fun! You'll learn a lot and get some pleasant (and unpleasnt...) surprises along the way :biggrin:

Vertical growing yields higher than horizontal scrog per square foot of floorspace I reckon but can't say for sure whether it yields more per plant yet without going back and trying horizontal scrog with the same number of plants using the same lights that I used this run to get a feel for where I'm getting my best growing results/experience from.

Thanks for stopping by.