What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Glass Jar Question

budhownd

Today I came across a pretty sweet deal(or so I thought) and purchased about 19 pint and quart size mason jars for next to nothing. Plus, I got some cool Smucker's trial size and tiny Gerber baby food jars for free. The thing is the larger jars didn't come with lids.

So, my question is, can I still use the larger jars for curing and storage?
I was thinking that maybe I could use rubber bands to hold wax paper or plastic over the tops and burp the jars as usual. Or should I look into finding lids for these jars?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I didn't see anywhere else to post it and I figured the guys wouldn't really know about mason jars (no offense intended fellas). :smile:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :wave:

Buddy

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you can buy just the lids and caps [the flat part of the lid] ..they sell the regular mouth and wide mouth.....they are right there were you buy the jars..I do that all the time...save my jars and just buy new caps...I have to buy new lids some times cuz they get funky with age...good score, I'm always looking for a jar for something :D

budhownd

Mrs. Babba you made my night. :jump:

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. :woohoo:

I got them online from a private seller around my way and it really is a great deal. Way more jars than I could possibly use (I don't harvest enough to fill a quarter of them at any given time), so I'll have plenty just in case my butter fingers drops one or I decide to gift a jar to a friend. :joint:

Now I have to figure out who sells mason jars and lids. LoL. I've heard Wal Mart and maybe Target or Kmart. Guess I have some hunting to do. Tho I'm sure it will be a lot more inexpensive to purchase lids than entire jars. :smile:

Thanks again for the info. Have a great night and a great week. :wave:

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dishwasher should be fine...unless they look really ucky.....yea any of those store should have the lids...groceries stores too...good luck :D

cyburnt

Gotta use lids

Gotta use lids

Something about the pressure change seems to enhance the curing process. :chin: The bouquet from burping them is not to be missed anyway :yummy:

budhownd

Alrighty, sounds good. I'll run 'em thru tha washer and start my hunt for lids.

Thanks again, Mrs. Babba and cyburnt.

Ya'll have a great day. :wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts