What's new

Glacier Stainless Steel extraction tube - 1oz / 28g - PLEASE HELP w/ item list

If people ask for a part list for something this simple are they even in the correct universe of thinking to be able to know if they are being safe?

Really- if you can't figure out how to build this how can you think you have the experience to know what safe is? Being ignorant of facts does not make them any less real. Your idea this is safe is only based on your experience. Asking something so simple shows no experience, no aptitude and being lazy. This is exactly the kind of person who needs to stop coming up with "good idea" home solutions they think are safe because they want to believe it.

xswabx

If people ask for a part list for something this simple are they even in the correct universe of thinking to be able to know if they are being safe?

Really- if you can't figure out how to build this how can you think you have the experience to know what safe is? Being ignorant of facts does not make them any less real. Your idea this is safe is only based on your experience. Asking something so simple shows no experience, no aptitude and being lazy. This is exactly the kind of person who needs to stop coming up with "good idea" home solutions they think are safe because they want to believe it.

This is the reason i am here.. to get experienced info on how to build one of these correctly. please GTFO of my thread, im not even wasting my time responding to you anymore, i have read all the safety precautions and feel my way is safe. I just needed help with building a safe extraction tube, but your to much of an asshole to help someone out, instead you belittle and patronize people who choose to open blast. when in reality, im sure 75%+ of BHO is america is done open blasted.

Lefthand

Open blasters are the reason bills have been passed outlawing hydrocarbon extraction entirely by anyone but a licensed businesses.

My legal ability to make meds safely were taken away because cheap ass dipshits refuse to spend the money and educate themselves on safer and long term less expensive methods.

So in my opinion people that open blast are the Assholes.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info, i read most those threads already, but ill look again, i was hoping to hear from you in this thread :)

i dont know where you are seeing Sanitarysteel.com as cheaper, im not seeing the 1" size ID spool im looking for, and all the others are pretty expensive.

What do you recommend i use for the exhaust portion of the tube? Can i clamp this to the end of the tube?
http://www.glaciertanks.com/TriClamp_End_Cap_SS-TriClamp_End_Cap_1-1_1_2_w_1_Cut_out_SS304.html

and then use two coffee filters and a mesh screen?

if so i think id prefer to do it that way, thanks for all the tips man!

My bad, I didn't look on Sanitary Steel for a 1" tube, but noticed they were about $100 cheaper on the 12 X 12.

That should do the end cap job.

i have read all the safety precautions and feel my way is safe. I just needed help with building a safe extraction tube

99% of the people who have blown up or started fires said the same thing.

Please show the safety precautions you have read. If I am wrong then please show me.

You can't figure figure out a tube, clamp, gasket and cap but you have the skills to a understand fire safety, static issues and explosive limits? Seriously think about that conflict of logic.

No one trying to save you from possibly the worst day of your life is being an asshole. I am being the friend brave enough to tell you what you need to hear and others are too afraid of sounding rude to do it.

Getting into a cls is only a few hundred dollars. You don't have to spend a ton. GW already tried to steer you in the right direction. Please notice the writing on the wall.

Chonkski

99% of the people who have blown up or started fires said the same thing.

Please show the safety precautions you have read. If I am wrong then please show me.

You can't figure figure out a tube, clamp, gasket and cap but you have the skills to a understand fire safety, static issues and explosive limits? Seriously think about that conflict of logic.

No one trying to save you from possibly the worst day of your life is being an asshole. I am being the friend brave enough to tell you what you need to hear and others are too afraid of sounding rude to do it.

Getting into a cls is only a few hundred dollars. You don't have to spend a ton. GW already tried to steer you in the right direction. Please notice the writing on the wall.

Very well said, and by no means do I think GO needs to "get out of your thread", when all he is doing is helping you out by passing on some well intended insight on safety and common sense.

Safety should be your first concern. Rather than having a simple shopping list spelt out for you. Not to be negative, but I think GO deserves more credit for the message he is trying to get across.

My suggestion is to check out Rosin. Cheap, and effective.:tiphat:

MEMED

Xswabx you need to listen to these guys and stop being an asshat. GO is genuine with his words and youve shit all over him. Really stupid move. You should say your sorry. Dude is thinking of your health, praise him. You know nothing, learn man, learn.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You said it could be done safely yourself so we are in agreement. I don't think I can provide you with the references you requested, however, you agreed it could be done safely so what's the need?

As for people knowing how to not doing it, I know some of the people producing solvent free use open tubes in their initial extraction so they don't have to worry about the solvents compatibility with seals, hoses, etc.

I also agree that solvent based extraction is a huge fire risk and so I just opt to forego the unnecessary risk and produce oil via other safer methods.

May we all agree that everything is a matter of degrees, with nothing black and white?

As an engineer, I see decimals and zeros, followed by real numbers as opposed to a yes or a no.

You can make extracting with flammable gas safer, and even so safe it is more than reasonable to take the risk, but there will always be some risk here in the real world, on planet Earth.

Just like those who damn the torpedoes and charge full speed ahead, there will always be those whom are unsure and wary, but on the other hand, if they choose seals and hoses that are compatible, they are better equipped to vacuum distill the butane first, in a closed loop system, so as to avoid the MO.

The lab analysis of butane that I've had done, typically show the pickup from hoses and seals at less than 10 parts per billionth, yet MO in lighter butane is typically more than 10 parts per millionth, or 1000 times greater.

I've personally open extracted too much material to ever be critical of someone else doing so, and without any incidents involving ignition. I set up so that ignition was improbable, but if it had ignited, I was also always set up somewhere that besides personal burns, no property or innocent bystanders would be involved.

Safety was one of my chief motivators for devising other solutions to replace open extraction, and now that options are available, I see less justification for the risks and other downsides of open blasting.

Besides a cleaner extract, and safer operation, closed loop systems are cheaper to operate, thus paying for themselves, and more environmentally friendly.

Consider not just the release of ground fog producing butane into the atmosphere, but the damage done to the environment from exploration, drilling, transporting, and refining the butane before it reaches you.

Skunk Pharm Research started out as a small group of skunk pharmers, who pooled their resources to be able to afford better group solutions. That is always an option when individual resources are limited.

May we all agree that everything is a matter of degrees, with nothing black and white?

yes we can agree that there are different degrees of everything. So based on that agreement can we then also agree that solvent based extractions are inherently more dangerous than non solvent based extractions due simply to the fact that in one instance there is a potential for explosion and in the other there is none whatsoever? Even if you were to assume that a person is running a proper CLS in a proper facility, using all proper precautions, you still have a much higher chance of fire/explosion than the person using nothing volatile at all.

As an engineer, I see decimals and zeros, followed by real numbers as opposed to a yes or a no.

OK, so I'll give a CLS based extraction a generous estimated probability of .00000000005% of explosion. Now I'll give solventless an estimated probability of explosion, zero.

You can make extracting with flammable gas safer, and even so safe it is more than reasonable to take the risk, but there will always be some risk here in the real world, on planet Earth.

Agreed, always risk. The key is not taking excessive or unnecessary risks. Seeing as there are better and safer methods that produce the same or better medicine, solvent based extraction seems increasingly unnecessarily risky.

Just like those who damn the torpedoes and charge full speed ahead, there will always be those whom are unsure and wary, but on the other hand, if they choose seals and hoses that are compatible, they are better equipped to vacuum distill the butane first, in a closed loop system, so as to avoid the MO.

How about avoiding it altogether, for cheaper? Also is anyone sure the seals are better this time around? How many various seal materials have been touted as safe before finding out otherwise some time down the road?

The lab analysis of butane that I've had done, typically show the pickup from hoses and seals at less than 10 parts per billionth, yet MO in lighter butane is typically more than 10 parts per millionth, or 1000 times greater.

Solventless typically picks up 0ppm

I've personally open extracted too much material to ever be critical of someone else doing so, and without any incidents involving ignition. I set up so that ignition was improbable, but if it had ignited, I was also always set up somewhere that besides personal burns, no property or innocent bystanders would be involved.

Incredibly reasonable, glad somebody acknowledges this.

Safety was one of my chief motivators for devising other solutions to replace open extraction, and now that options are available, I see less justification for the risks and other downsides of open blasting.

if safety is the chief motivator then surely with newer safer methods available you have to begin questioning the justification for taking the risk using flammable solvents at all

Besides a cleaner extract, and safer operation, closed loop systems are cheaper to operate, thus paying for themselves, and more environmentally friendly.

Many varieties of solventless based extraction are much cheaper to operate than a CLS and at the same scale of production now. Solventless is also much more environmentally friendly.

Consider not just the release of ground fog producing butane into the atmosphere, but the damage done to the environment from exploration, drilling, transporting, and refining the butane before it reaches you.

Skunk Pharm Research started out as a small group of skunk pharmers, who pooled their resources to be able to afford better group solutions. That is always an option when individual resources are limited.

I appreciate your work and write up here and hope to see further advancements from yourself and your group in regards to finding better solutions.

Youraniceguy-

Your logic confuses me. You promote open blasting as being safe in a couple of posts. Then you say in the same and other posts that "non-solvent" (even water is a solvent) is the only thing that should be considered because of safety? Non-flammable extraction has many benefits but you can not say open blasting is safe and call out solvent extraction as being dangerous in the same argument.

FYI- my comments here have been in regards to fire safety issues.

I do not promote open blasting as safe, it along with all solvent extractions is inherently dangerous. It can however be done safely, as can CLS.

I don't believe that solventless is the only answer, I'm just saying if safety really truly is your chief concern then I have a great option for you that makes things infinitely safer.

Doing it safely is my my chief concern I don't care the method. I agree non-flammable methods are best for people like the person who started this thread.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I appreciate your work and write up here and hope to see further advancements from yourself and your group in regards to finding better solutions.

Lets discuss this statement: "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Many varieties of solventless based extraction are much cheaper to operate than a CLS and at the same scale of production now. Solventless is also much more environmentally friendly."

Would you share with us what is cheaper at the same scale, with the same capabilities?
[/FONT]

Sure thing, please do discuss the other stuff as well though.

There are a few pneumatic and hydraulic presses being used for rosin off the top of my mind that at this point can press roughly 10 grams of flower/15-20 grams of kief at a time, both yielding the same as a solvent based extraction. The presses I've seen so far can press roughly 2 loads of 10g flowers/ kief every minute. No purge necessary.

Here is a link to one such press http://www.airmite.com/airpress4.htm

This press can easily be fitted with heating plates and the cost for both would be under the cost of an active system and right around the cost of a passive system depending on where you purchased you press. You save money on solvent too over the long run.

For a simple patient only looking to produce medicine for themselves this type of press would be overkill cheaper options exist for small scale but to match production of an mkIII or similar device, especially when you consider the time you save on distillation of solvent, maintaining your system, and purging your medicine.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sure thing, please do discuss the other stuff as well though.

There are a few pneumatic and hydraulic presses being used for rosin off the top of my mind that at this point can press roughly 10 grams of flower/15-20 grams of kief at a time, both yielding the same as a solvent based extraction. The presses I've seen so far can press roughly 2 loads of 10g flowers/ kief every minute. No purge necessary.

Here is a link to one such press http://www.airmite.com/airpress4.htm

This press can easily be fitted with heating plates and the cost for both would be under the cost of an active system and right around the cost of a passive system depending on where you purchased you press. You save money on solvent too over the long run.

For a simple patient only looking to produce medicine for themselves this type of press would be overkill cheaper options exist for small scale but to match production of an mkIII or similar device, especially when you consider the time you save on distillation of solvent, maintaining your system, and purging your medicine.

Rosin extraction using heat and pressure does indeed offer alternatives to solvent extraction at low volume and a hair straightener is a perfect weapon for most starting extractors, as well as the only one needed by many.

When it comes to scale, I've yet to see a press set up routinely processing 25 lbs + per 10 hr day, with one operator operating multiple units, such as is the case with automated Mk VC's solvent extractors.

Automated Mk VA2 Mary and Bertha's owner operates them as well as a Mk IVB and a modified Bhogard.

He is one busy boy some of the time, but ostensibly a press operator running four presses would be even busier.

As far as purging goes, it is more machine intensive than labor intensive, and happens mostly by itself while the operator is doing something else.

I'm pleased to see HMK and others give rosin extraction the serious attention it deserves, and agree it is a good process for modest needs, with a modest budget. I look forward to see where they take the process!

Some extraction systems are commercial and not aimed at modest needs and budget, but quality extractions at the lowest cost per gram.

Those costs include not only capital equipment amortization, but total labor with fringes as well the cost of operating a commercial business.

It requires volume to justify capital investment, but in the long haul capital equipment is cheaper than hiring more people to do boring mind numbing operations.

Given evolution, it may indeed eclipse solvent extraction, but it doesn't appear to me to have reached that point yet, which is why I asked for clarification.

It really already has eclipsed solvent extraction even with just that early model that I have linked to that is not even designed with rosin in mind. Don't know how things are going in your area but many dispensaries around me won't even stock solvent based extracts anymore and the price of BHO here has dipped precipitously.

The purging issue I bring up because although it is machine intensive rather than labor intensive, that is time that you have to add to the total extraction time, so while you may be able to extract from more material quicker with solvents, the medicine is not usable instantly as it is with rosin, so while vac pumps/ovens etc are all running to purge, a rosin press is still extracting, no need for multiple chambers or ovens.

If you look simply at just one CLS vs one rosin press running the same amount of material, and even assuming you've already cleaned your solvent, cleaned the system etc. the CLS is packed and ready to go, the rosin press will yield the same amount of usable medicine that is clean in a shorter period of time.

What about the other issues that you raised? Operators safety isn't the only thing to be considered i when safety is the chief concern , the consuming patients safety should be of concern as well.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rosin extraction using heat and pressure does indeed offer alternatives to solvent extraction at low volume and a hair straightener is a perfect weapon for most starting extractors, as well as the only one needed by many.

When it comes to scale, I've yet to see a press set up routinely processing 25 lbs + per 10 hr day, with one operator operating multiple units, such as is the case with automated Mk VC's solvent extractors.

Automated Mk VA2 Mary and Bertha's owner operates them as well as a Mk IVB and a modified Bhogard.

He is one busy boy some of the time, but ostensibly a press operator running four presses would be even busier.

As far as purging goes, it is more machine intensive than labor intensive, and happens mostly by itself while the operator is doing something else.

I'm pleased to see HMK and others give rosin extraction the serious attention it deserves, and agree it is a good process for modest needs, with a modest budget. I look forward to see where they take the process!

Some extraction systems are commercial and not aimed at modest needs and budget, but quality extractions at the lowest cost per gram.

Those costs include not only capital equipment amortization, but total labor with fringes as well the cost of operating a commercial business.

It requires volume to justify capital investment, but in the long haul capital equipment is cheaper than hiring more people to do boring mind numbing operations.

Given evolution, it may indeed eclipse solvent extraction, but it doesn't appear to me to have reached that point yet, which is why I asked for clarification.

I'm staying away from the Rosin threads, I'm sure it produces strong and tasty oil with nuggs or kief, but I'm fairly confident the lesser grades of herb will continue to be concentrated using solvents.

Here's some pictures from the Rosin booth at Chalice last weekend, looked to be only doing grams of high grade nuggs, very labor intensive, they had two presses.

Attachments

• P1010808.jpg
    P1010808.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010807.jpg
    P1010807.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010811.jpg
    P1010811.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010812.jpg
    P1010812.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010813.jpg
    P1010813.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 7
  • P1010816.jpg
    P1010816.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 8

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It really already has eclipsed solvent extraction even with just that early model that I have linked to that is not even designed with rosin in mind. Don't know how things are going in your area but many dispensaries around me won't even stock solvent based extracts anymore and the price of BHO here has dipped precipitously.

The purging issue I bring up because although it is machine intensive rather than labor intensive, that is time that you have to add to the total extraction time, so while you may be able to extract from more material quicker with solvents, the medicine is not usable instantly as it is with rosin, so while vac pumps/ovens etc are all running to purge, a rosin press is still extracting, no need for multiple chambers or ovens.

If you look simply at just one CLS vs one rosin press running the same amount of material, and even assuming you've already cleaned your solvent, cleaned the system etc. the CLS is packed and ready to go, the rosin press will yield the same amount of usable medicine that is clean in a shorter period of time.

What about the other issues that you raised? Operators safety isn't the only thing to be considered i when safety is the chief concern , the consuming patients safety should be of concern as well.

Shortest time in your hand is a keen feature, but businesses are based on total cost per gram for quality concentrates, meeting FDA standards.

Once you load the pipeline, you can process and discharge at any rate you design it for.

The businesses that I'm talking about are already a reality in our area, producing pounds of extracts for the medical market, not a mathematical projection.

Here is a picture of what dual Mk VA2's look like processing about 7 pounds each, every about 2 hours, 11 minutes, with the operator mostly off doing other things.

He is managing the ovens and operating other equipment, but could be running even more automated units without breaking a sweat.

Not saying evolution won't get rosin there, but can you provide a picture of a rosin setup, based on your theory, currently processing 14 lbs every couple of hours?

From a labor stand point, what wage and fringes are you paying your employees, how busy is your operator and how easy is it to expand without additional labor?

Attachments

• Mary and Bertha, dueling Mk VA2-s-1-1.jpg
    Mary and Bertha, dueling Mk VA2-s-1-1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 9

jpdnkstr

I love my ladies in 2's!(sometimes 3's) I want a date with Mary and Bertha..... see if Jenny will come too?!

I'm not too keen on rosin extraction either.... it will never replace solvent extraction done properly.

Now..... back to my date?...

7 pounds purged and ready to go every 2 hours?

I'm not talking a projection either, don't discount this as simply a projection because you haven't yet seen it. I encourage you to read and participate in the rosin discussions going on and take a peek into some of the peoples systems that are already producing pounds for retail.

And yes, you can throw thousands into automated everything to make your point, but the press that I already have linked to you is a base model that is a fraction of the cost of automated units/pumps and can easily produce the same amount as a CLS running the same amount of material.

Please do discuss the other points that you have raised though they are important to your current point as well because they require more time that you have to add in to your process to ensure a safer product with less contamination, a step rosin pressers can skip altogether.