What's new

GIRL's GOT SKILLS

Aspenou812

Veteran
I really am impressed w the rolling trays.... pretty slick there dude!! Are u going to run maxi bloom the whole way through or switch out to v and b in bloom this run?? I’ll prolly use maxi the whole way through this round just because of financial reasons but also I have never used v and b

I am just using the Maxi for veg temporarily... V+B for both veg and flower... But I'm remixing the ratios... My V+B will no longer be a n struture feed... Instead it will be a Calsium Structured feed... So hold on for one hell of a show....

Aspenou812

Veteran
I dont know. There are more number in 2.5 than 6. I mean there is a 2 and a 5. And added together they make 7. Isnt 7 larger than 6?

Plant neglect. Just keep her watered under good lights and leave her alone to grow.

And whats this hair maintenance thingy?

Back Hair Maientence... Has to take forever to get all the twigs rocks and sticky leaves from your garden out of that jungle of back hair... Woop wouldn't want that job....:huggg::biggrin:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Chlorophyl A Is the primary pigment used in photosynthesis, others are merely accessory pigments and are much less efficient at converting light into growth energy. The most efficient use of light by chlorophyll A is at 430nm which is actually violet or indigo in color.

View Image

In the lighting science thread there is mention of plants evolving from the ocean. When I was putting the thread together and came across the blue light has more energy topic I researched deep sea plants to verify with also. Electrons use photons for energy, Blue light has a shorter wavelength than red light and shorter wavelengths carry more energy. Plants that use photosynthesis (and algae) need to stay in the upper 200m depth called the euphotic zone to survive, which only violet and blue light penetrates into (explaining the more efficient use of violet and blue light, its the earliest form of light available/they evolved to use).

This is how different colors of light penetrate into the ocean:

View Image

Here are the different light zones in the ocean and typical creatures that live there:

View Image

View Image

The Emerson effect shows how light at 670nm or 700nm red alone is poor at photosynthesis, but when 680nm red and 700nm red are used simultaneously photosynthetic rate increases exponentially.

View Image

I know all about light penetration through the water... I see nearly all those conditions on a regular basis.... It really messes up some of the new spear fishing students the first time they stabb a fish in the head with a knife... And the fish is pumping out grey black blood in the surrounding water.... Red is the first spectrum to fall out in the water... I know the whole table for color fall out at depth...that I do know...:peacock:

Aspenou812

Veteran
You guys are telling me all this and I have expected it to happen... Why wouldn't you just assume I was prepared to fix any issues... Already having the answers on hand... And I can and will elemanate those concerns right fucking now... I mean I couldn't reach the back of my garden so I fixed that with Rolling Trays like no one has ever seen... The perfect fix for that issue.. See I elemanate the problems all at once... I don't fuck around with this... Its my passion... Computer modeling... Hey Ohh... Fixed the issues about being able to reach my plants.. And I can lovingly tend each and every stalk without moving an inch simply by removing the trays from the room and spinning 6 huge plants around around on rolling tables...Done... Seeing my approach to that issue alone should give you a clue as how I deal with room issues... I totally remove the possibillity of those issues ever happening... I've done the same computer modeling for the lights... And already have the proper fix... If this becomes an issue... As I have assured you guys already that its NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE!!! Because I have a way to eliminate these issues that's just as innovative as my Rolling Spinning drain trays...
So just to be clear... Your runing my big surprise and unveiling... Again its innovative... Well thought out... And this should totally elemanate all concerns...
So looking at both the penetration and color spectrum as things that may cause me issues... Here is my solution... Its a hybred lighting system... I use Scrogs a two level system to train and control stretch that I have to string up every time...i will have a ring made in the shape of an octagon.. Ill have two per tray made... Then I will lace the rings up as I string up the Scrog in each level... Then clips hold a 4 inch cool tube in those octagon rings suspended in the canopy at the bottom of the cool tube will be 4 inch flexible exhaust attached to a 4 inch fan mounted on the wall.. The fan will blow cool crisp air and co2 back up into the canopy assisting airflow and insuring co2 is in canopy at the same time... The cool tube will hold a 315 cmh...
Each 4x4 will have this supplemental lighting... And I will have neither penetration or color spectrum issues at all... So run those numbers and you will see... Its all handled and under control...That is of coarse IF I see that its needed... And only time will tell right... Now tell me again how I've not looked at my lighting properly...again...lol

RockinRobot

Aspen stop trying to appease the know it alls. No matter what you do someone always will claim to know more.

Dan taught you well so don't feed the trolls.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Aspen stop trying to appease the know it alls. No matter what you do someone always will claim to know more.

Dan taught you well so don't feed the trolls.

No it's not like that at all... But it was going to be a surprise... I've been watching leds develop... Over the last couple of years I have spoken to a lot of people about different options for lighting my rooms... This has been included in every layout and modeled since I started planning these rooms out... I don't want and wouldn't risk maybe ill have enough... RR you sold me on the cmh I beleive... 2 315w cmh fit perfectly within my cooling and power numbers... So why risk it... Why settle for maybe ill have enough... Something Dan told me... ASPEN if you leave Bulshit in your room designs you will have Bulshit in your grow...
I wasn't going to implement the idea if I can reproduce SmomingJoes numbers and had no plans to implement this untill after I have a full run under the hlg550v2... Because of something else I learned from Dan... And that was to limit large learning curves so it wasn't taking on to much at one time... Seriously... Just wasn't like that RR... But my surprise did get smashed because someone lacked confidence in my abilities...
I already know what the numbers say... Its very impressive... The lighting with supplemental cmh lighting is going to be just above optimum conditions all the way around.. More or less... As its designed to be....

RockinRobot

No it's not like that at all... But it was going to be a surprise... I've been watching leds develop... Over the last couple of years I have spoken to a lot of people about different options for lighting my rooms... This has been included in every layout and modeled since I started planning these rooms out... I don't want and wouldn't risk maybe ill have enough... RR you sold me on the cmh I beleive... 2 315w cmh fit perfectly within my cooling and power numbers... So why risk it... Why settle for maybe ill have enough... Something Dan told me... ASPEN if you leave Bulshit in your room designs you will have Bulshit in your grow...
I wasn't going to implement the idea if I can reproduce SmomingJoes numbers and had no plans to implement this untill after I have a full run under the hlg550v2... Because of something else I learned from Dan... And that was to limit large learning curves so it wasn't taking on to much at one time... Seriously... Just wasn't like that RR... But my surprise did get smashed because someone lacked confidence in my abilities...
I already know what the numbers say... Its very impressive... The lighting with supplemental cmh lighting is going to be just above optimum conditions all the way around.. More or less... As its designed to be....

Yep small changes.

LED are fantastic. No doubt about it. I went through the whole LED vs HID debate when I was doing Saltwater reef tanks. But the claims of the manufacturer's are exaggerated at best.

My reasons for not going LED are numerous.

Although the LEDs themselves may indeed last 10+ years with no noticeable degradation, in real life the drivers do not. Since you can't just replace the drivers in most commercial fixtures you end up with a much shorter lifespan than advertised. Especially wary in Florida of our lighting season blowing out drivers. Much easier and cheaper to replace a HID ballast thqn to have the driver in a LED replaced. Plus chances are, if lighting takes out the driver, it will probably blow many of the LED as well.

Top that with the initial cost and just not my cup of tea. I can barely afford nutrients most days so not wasting money.

packerfan79

Veteran
Hey Aspen, are you having a custom mix made by Veg & Bloom? I was just wondering what they have to say about the calcium fueled diet. Not doubting the method, just wondering about the response. It would be interesting if they made that mix widely available. The Aspen mix.

MrBungle

LED is great for growing salad greens, but Cannabis might need a little bit more of what HID has to offer.... I've seen some pretty pics of plants grown under LED, but never smoked anything grown under LED that had the punch of HID grown herb... small sample size... but enough evidence to convince me to stick with HID myself

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
LED is great for growing salad greens, but Cannabis might need a little bit more of what HID has to offer.... I've seen some pretty pics of plants grown under LED, but never smoked anything grown under LED that had the punch of HID grown herb... small sample size... but enough evidence to convince me to stick with HID myself

I have a patient who has been getting smoke from me for 8 years. The last stuff I gave him from my LEDs he said was the strongest stuff I have given him ever. I have been growing this strain for 6 plus years in the same style and inputs. The only difference was the light went from HID to LED.

You have not had good grown LED smoke.

scrogrow

Well it's funny this should come up.......

I'm actually sponsored for my lighting!
Currently running the adjust-a-wings Helion 750w double ended hps, however I now have two of them and a Helion 630w cmh from the same people! So the plan is to get about 4 150w leds that my friend is making for me! Will keep you updated but I'm going for more or less full spectrum lighting

MrBungle

I have a patient who has been getting smoke from me for 8 years. The last stuff I gave him from my LEDs he said was the strongest stuff I have given him ever. I have been growing this strain for 6 plus years in the same style and inputs. The only difference was the light went from HID to LED.

You have not been good grown LED smoke.

As with anything I'm sure there is a learning curve to growing with LED's... I'd love to be blown away by some killer LED grown buds, but it just hasn't happened yet... While they have come a long way with LED tech since I bought a 90 watt UFO back in the early 2000s.. So has HID all while maintaining a relatively low upfront investment.... The best bang for your buck is still HID

packerfan79

Veteran
As with anything I'm sure there is a learning curve to growing with LED's... I'd love to be blown away by some killer LED grown buds, but it just hasn't happened yet... While they have come a long way with LED tech since I bought a 90 watt UFO back in the early 2000s.. So has HID all while maintaining a relatively low upfront investment.... The best bang for your buck is still HID

I can attest to the efficacy of the lights Ichabod Crane uses. My first run with them produced better bud than most of my hps runs. I also broke all my previous gram per watt averages. On a 3 strain seed run that got way to tall and had to be aggressively tied down to manage height. I fully expect the current run to be heavier.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Yep small changes.

LED are fantastic. No doubt about it. I went through the whole LED vs HID debate when I was doing Saltwater reef tanks. But the claims of the manufacturer's are exaggerated at best.

Although the LEDs themselves may indeed last 10+ years with no noticeable degradation, in real life the drivers do not. Since you can't just replace the drivers in most commercial fixtures you end up with a much shorter lifespan than advertised. Especially wary in Florida of our lighting season blowing out drivers. Much easier and cheaper to replace a HID ballast thqn to have the driver in a LED replaced. Plus chances are, if lighting takes out the driver, it will probably blow many of the LED as well.

Top that with the initial cost and just not my cup of tea. I can barely afford nutrients most days so not wasting money.

The HLG LEDs she is talking about getting are easy to replace the drivers on. It doesnt take much to figure out what driver you need and how to change them.

The drivers I use are rated as long as the LEDs are rated for. And they come with a 7 year warranty. Not some cheap knock off drivers. The cheap knock off drivers produce to much waste as heat and defeat one of the best reasons for getting a LED. Mainly the lower amount of heat produced to the amount of light produced.

I dont see LEDs as a waste of money but a bigger price up front for a savings in the long term. But if you cant afford your nutes then you dont have the money to buy a better quality of LED light. Not for everyone but it still a great grow item if you can get a good quality LED.

There is a learning curve for sure. But if you are a good grower and willing to listen to advice from others who have grown with good quality of LEDs it is not much of a curve.

HIDs work for some but are not a fit for all. If HIDs work for you better than LEDs then sure they are a good bang for the buck.

For me LEDs are far superior in my grow compared to HID. HIDs are what I used for years. But they have been passed by LEDs for my grow.

Not everything works in every grow. Been that way since way before I started growing and will be long after I stop growing. But to say HIDs are the best bang for the buck is misleading. Just as saying LEDs are the best bang for the buck is misleading. To many variables to say that. Both must be fit into the right setting for them to be called the best bang for the buck.

MrBungle

In a place where heat might be a concern year round... I suppose it could be an advantage to run LED.. I was only speaking for myself to begin with, but now I can see why spending a whole lot on led's might be a good idea, even if it does come with a learning curve to get the most out of your strains growing that style

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep small changes.

Not trying to debate it but the hlg drivers are replaceable and carry a 7 year standard warranty.
Hlg sells diy kits and every component to build the same fixture you can buy complete at a substantial savings.
Im not trying to convince anyone that 1 thing is better than the other. I switched to led's to battle summer heat with out killing myself paying the cooling bill. My hlg lights don't use the same drivers the factory fixtures do. I run em a bit harder so my hlg 550 v2's are drawing 630 watts at the wall rather than the 472 the factory lights draw. Not a lot of difference in watts but they are a damn sight brighter.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is; I'm using the same wattage I was with hid but have more light that is way easier to cool with an improved spectrum and some how my quality and yields improved along the way. To me it was worth the money I spent on the upgrades.
I run my flower room at 85f without c02. Its not sealed so it would be a waste.

Latest posts

Latest posts