What's new

Girl Scout Cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
KB are you getting that or is that what was told to you??? I thought you just got your cut of GSC..

My cookies clones smell just like a mintplant or a thin mint cookie crazy how the small cuts smell like it cant imagine when its flowering ,so happy I finally got this one,ill post pics soon.

Grizz

Veteran
Hi big twinn

What an interesting topic! I would like to add my two cents.

The process you describe of mutation occurring during mitosis is called "somatic mutation", not genetic drift. Genetic drift occurs in populations of organisms, not individuals.

Somatic mutation is a very interesting topic, some human diseases (like cancer) can be due to somatic mutation. In plants, somatic mutation can be an important way of dealing with environmental stress, and may even be important in evolution. It is a pretty complicated subject, so I won't go into detail about all of it, but I'll say a few things on it in the context of your discussion here.

While somatic mutation does occur in all living things, I doubt this is the mechanism behind the "clones from the same mom being different" phenomenon in weed.

As plants do not have what is called a "reserved germ line" (where the reproductive cell lines and somatic lines are seperate), they have considerable repair mechanisms to deal with somatic mutation (as you pointed out). This is especially so with small, herbaceous, annual plants (like pot), and less so with large, woody, perennial plants (like trees, in fact with trees, like citrus and apples, somatic mutation is an important source of new varieties).

The somatic mutation rate is also low enough that it would not likely be a factor in the context of Cannabis clones in the time scale we are talking about.

Yeah, this is a real thing, I have seen it myself. In my opinion, this is phenotypic plasticity, like Weird said, and therefore a change in gene regulation, not a mutation. It is not the normal type of phenotypic variation that we think of, that changes quickly according to environment though.

An example of what I called normal phenotypic variation above would be how a clone would respond to light intensity. Two identical clones, one grown in strong light, and one in weak light, will be different. We all know how they differ, the one in bright light will have shorter internodal spaces etc. We also know that if you change the environment and provide more light to the taller light starved plant, it will respond very quickly and start to look like the other clone, and vice-versa.

In the phenomenon you are describing, the phenotypic variation seems to be relatively fixed, as if some regulatory switch is flipped on, and stays that way even when the environment changes.

There is another variation phenotypic plasticity that I have noticed in weed clones, that while not as fixed as the above, is very interesting, that I discussed with someone here a while back. I don't think this thread is the place to discuss it.

this blows my mind and others i know as well that have had a huge problem with the sour dubb cut, its either top shelf or a mutant dudd that aint worth growing, its like 2 complete different plants that origanate from the same mother plant,

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
thanks for the rep
wormwood (Artemisia absynthium) is a close relative of cannabis and very minty, home to the Caucasus Mountains, which ones a mountain plant from that region you think? DP? OG KUSH?
there's a plant like pumas Cherry Bomb named Rapturous Reaper that I'd think about seeding since it's so close to the GSCookie cut

softyellowlight

this blows my mind and others i know as well that have had a huge problem with the sour dubb cut, its either top shelf or a mutant dudd that aint worth growing, its like 2 complete different plants that origanate from the same mother plant,

That sounds almost like a chimera. Is it plausible for somatic sport mutation to be piecemeal, so cells with both genetics are prevalent in a cutting?

High74

Executive Branch Genetics
Veteran
:D

Attachments

• kl
    kl
    5.8 KB · Views: 14

Bluenote

Yea definitely good point ^ wish we could be open about things and have some sort of centralized catalog. Seems a lot of our maladies are purely a result of the legality preventing us from achieving what 98% want widely accessible, ordered, clear, and concise info.

Why can't we have it? Your idea up there *needs* to be run with in a HUGE way. There's gotta be millions of places where we can stash it on the 'net , we can certainly find folks to contribute info............and it's one HELL of a good idea
so I ask again.

Why can't we have a " centralised catalog"?

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ggac has cookies clones on their menu. no idea if theyre the real deal but i have heard this place has legit cuts, still very skeptical. i cant be taking in any new plants(no veg and everything is 4 weeks into flower) but maybe ill grab one and pass it along to someone who can fuck with it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.