What's new

GHS Color Coded Fem 5 packs

I

Iron_Lion

I dont know what to make of this, in one hand I think it's a cool idea to get to try 5 different femmed strains, and on the other hand I think that they must suck because Arjan seems to be more into marketing then marijuana. Seems like a gimmick, or a novelty item.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Couldn't agree more honestly that company must have some BUNK if all they do is advertise.. If a seed company has good quality smoke the smokers will go to the company all by there selves just like Rez did.

nick11

Veteran
Okay then whats the point of your post? I grew several of their strains last round and they were very good - no hermies or runts, just easy to grow potent plants. I grew trainwreck and cheese btw and kept a couple around. I have grown many plants from seed too just in case someone tries to jump on me calling me a newb or idiot for liking their seeds. So HerbGlaze what have you grown of theirs? You shouldn't judge them unless you have grown something from Greenhouse. If you have I apologize

I'm not saying their the best I have ever grown but, they are def better than alot of others I have tried over the years. I think they are a bargain at the price offered. Anyway that's just my opinion.

b8man

Veteran
Greenhouse get slammed by lots of growers for producing plants which are fine, but not close to the strain that they purport to be. Trainwreck in particular. And when you're investing that much time and effort in them you don't want just OK - you want what it says on the packet.

But this color coded seed thing is a real tacky gimmick in my opinion. I love the natural look of seeds and dressing them up like some cheap whore makes me want to avoid them.

Not that I generally avoid cheap whores. This just applies to seeds.

G

guest5703

they look like cereal too me lol. I think its a bunch of dumbass's trying to make money...anyone else?!?!?

I don't want to come off like I'm defending Greenhouse, as I have never grown their seeds before so can't comment on the quality.
I am interested in reading some grow reports on these color coded seeds before I make up my mind.
As far as marketing goes, I wouldn't so much call them dumbasses as they seem to have found a pretty good piece of the seed market right now.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is the paint organic?

We've seen commercial cereal seed crops / sweetcorn sprayed like this before with a plastic coating and added chemicals to aid germination under extensive systems of farming. So it's not a new thing :wink:

Last edited:
I

Iron_Lion

nick11 said:
. I grew trainwreck and cheese btw and kept a couple around.

Have you grown or smoked original TW or Cheese? If so how did they compare?

A.N.Other

For those unaware of horticulture outside of your cabs and outside of the canna-scene, seed coating (and similar techniques) is common.

There are several positive reasons for this practise. Some of these reasons are relevant in terms of canna-cultivation; others are less useful in this arena but are worth discussing none the less. Even further reasons are useful for the company producing the seeds and the retailers/distributors supplying the seeds.

The coating can include biologically active agents which can include biocides, nutrients and soil conditioning agents. The biocides may be selected to protect the seeds against pests or competing weeds but most importantly in my eyes and most relevant to the average gardener is the inclusion of fungicides to protect the seed itself from attack. The nutrients and soil conditioning agents are obviously selected to promote/improve germination and/or early growth. These can include lime, trace elements, hormones, vitamins and fertiliser. All of these add up to potentially serve to increase the germination rate of the seeds and the survival rate of young plants.

The coating can also cover any cracks any defects in the outer case of the seed which may prevent the entry of moisture, mould or bacteria which may cause reduced viability in the seeds. This is particularly important when seeds are held and transited by numerous suppliers, all of which may not store these seeds in the best possible ways.

The coloured nature of the seeds is also useful for outside mass-sowed seeds (and yes I know currently canna-is rarely, probably never, grown this way) as it enables easy identification of type for the grower and makes the newly sowed sees less attractive to predators, particularly birds. Quoting an abstract from the journal of wildlife management:

Seed Color Avoidance by Captive Red-Winged Blackbirds and Boat-Tailed Grackles said:
Offensive visual stimuli represent a potentially important component of avian crop damage reduction strategies. Color perception by diurnal birds is highly developed, but the responses of the red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) to different-colored food have never been investigated. Red-winged blackbirds and boat-tailed grackles (Quiscalus major) cause substantial damage to newly seeded rice in the southern United States, and the examination of color avoidance by these species should contribute to the development of nonlethal methods to reduce depredations. We used rice seed of various colors to conduct a series of feeding trials with captive blackbirds and grackles. Despite variation among individuals and groups of test birds, blue was the least preferred color overall. Differences among species and among background color might affect responses of birds to a given seed color, but, in general, we suggest that blue should be incorporated into strategies for discouraging unwanted feeding by granivorous birds. In particular, further development of visual deterrents should exploit the ability of blackbirds and other species to detect wavelengths in the near ultraviolet.

Benefits for the seed producer also exist. Mixed seeds can be packaged together without resorting to expensive to produce and potentially more bulky to distribute split chamber packaging. This can offset the additional costs of coating the seed and keep seed costs low.

Mixed seed bags (containing similarly profiled plants) obviously also allow the small closet grower to grower a variety strains without having to buy a number of 10+ packs from which some seeds may end up being stored (perhaps indefinitely) as the grower does not have the space or time to grow all the plants and may wish to continue exploring different varieties.

All in all I personally see no harm and plenty of potential benefits in coated seeds if you actually think rationally about it rather than assuming that because it is from a seed company you don't like it must be bad.

Some people need to put down your torches and step away from the lynch mob!

Take care all.

[[DocLeaf - the coating (it's not a paint strictly) can be made of organic and non-organic compounds or a mix of the two and it is taken into consideration when a product (the end crop) is deemed organic or not.]]

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pelleted seed has been around for decades.
Grew a lot of expensive F1 hybrid pells from 1978 on and mixed colour coded packs were available then.
There were problems with the coating falling off or absorbing water starting premature germination and they were considered a method by which seed merchants could sell a visually second grade seed that would still probably germinate at the same profit.

No doubt the coatings have improved since then.

I

Iron_Lion

The coating isnt what gets me, its the breeder packaging. It looks like packaging for a childrens toy, just weird thats all. Anyone that hast seen it, check it out.

phattybudz

Herbglaze wrote: "that company must have some BUNK if all they do is advertise.."

You have to have good shit before you can advertise good shit... if greenhouse seeds sucked there would be people bashing them on forums like this one a lot more.

That said, I just ordered one of those packs so I'll post up once (if) they pop.

peps1

oh no GHS are a business!!!!!!
How dare they promote their company and try and integrated systems that have proven successful in commercial agriculture.....Im frankly shocked.

see fashionable to insult GHS here, but iv never had any trouble with their seeds having actuly grown many of the strains unlike most of their critics.

and they sent me free stuff ;)

L

Leonidas

I see nothing wrong with GHS trying to make money , Lets not forget for as many bad reports they get they also get many good ones . I'm gonna grab a few GHS packs to run and will post them up for ya when I run them . Zoo

G

What some describe as gimmicky, i call cutting edge. They're great in my book. Their videos provide more grow info than any othe breeder in the business. The 2 strains I grew were excellent and exactly as described in the video grow. Now this. They're at the top of their field. I respect excellence and innovation.

I

Iron_Lion

silverback said:
What some describe as gimmicky, i call cutting edge. They're great in my book. Their videos provide more grow info than any othe breeder in the business. The 2 strains I grew were excellent and exactly as described in the video grow. Now this. They're at the top of their field. I respect excellence and innovation.

I guess when you get down to it theyre doing a good thing by bringing cannabis growing to the mainstream thru commercialized marketing.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A.N.Other said:
[[DocLeaf - the coating (it's not a paint strictly) can be made of organic and non-organic compounds or a mix of the two and it is taken into consideration when a product (the end crop) is deemed organic or not.]]

Thanks for the great post An Other :yes:

We already knew as much (were just taking the micky),, but seriously Franco, Jack, et all,,, is the coating on these seed lines organic?

btw As a means of identifying individual seeds in mix packs its an excellent idea!!!!

peace all :joint:

Last edited:
I

Iron_Lion

I think I might give the GHS Sativa fem mix pack [SUPER SILVER HAZE - ARJANS STRAWBERRY HAZE - ARJANS HAZE 1 - NEVILLES HAZE - HAWAIIAN SNOW] a run next, anyone know if the GHS hazes are of good quality?

Tarantula-1

A genius idea and, as AN Other has pointed out, botanically responsible. If cannabis cultivation were legal, Green House would make millions with this little wrinkle.

In addition, it's the IDEAL product to welcome newbies to the pasttime of personal grows. I'd've taken the plunge a few years before I eventually did, had color-coded assortment packs been available then - and I know I'm not the only one

Latest posts

Latest posts