What's new

GH nutrients in coir?

GoatCheese

Veteran
I have only been running GG4, in last 6 years, and was told early on that it is a lite feeder, so I do not get excessive buildup (650 PPM Max). After a couple of months of growth and 2 weeks flower, was only 100 PPM high and PH was 5.2 to 5.7. I just lowered 200 PPM and upped to 6.3 for 2 days.
That's a good point.

Yea, lower feeding prolly helps a lot in avoiding salt build up with mineral nutes.
..in general alot people seem to feed their plants too much. There’s a lot of talk of “how much you can push the plants with nutrients” rather than how little you can give them.
I have also been experimenting with lower feeding and playing with NPK ratios myself for awhile and the smoking product is much better when you go easy on the nutes, esp. nitrogen, and the yields seemingly aren’t suffering noticeably.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
That's a good point.

Yea, lower feeding prolly helps a lot in avoiding salt build up with mineral nutes.
..in general alot people seem to feed their plants too much. There’s a lot of talk of “how much you can push the plants with nutrients” rather than how little you can give them.
I have also been experimenting with lower feeding and playing with NPK ratios myself for awhile and the smoking product is much better when you go easy on the nutes, esp. nitrogen, and the yields seemingly aren’t suffering noticeably.

I was lucky to get extremely stable genetics, and many before me figured out it hated more than 600PPM/1.2 EC. I suck at reading plants. Like you said, overfeeding would magnify any buildup issues.

B.T. Herb

That's a good point.

Lock Dog, man! u seem addicted to GG...:)

Hi GoatCheese,

have you ever noticed that some strains seem to gain more complexity in facts of flavour if you keep a "sustained" plan of feeding.sour bubble, for example?

then, i'm still working on a FightingBuddah F2 i love that develope a light fresh-lime/woody undertone just once grew at his max...

all the best

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Lock Dog, man! u seem addicted to GG...:)

Hi GoatCheese,

have you ever noticed that some strains seem to gain more complexity in facts of flavour if you keep a "sustained" plan of feeding.sour bubble, for example?

then, i'm still working on a FightingBuddah F2 i love that develope a light fresh-lime/woody undertone just once grew at his max...

all the best

Have been looking for something better, than clone of 3 time 1st place Cannabis Cup winner, that gets over 29% THC, that can produce over a gram per watt, trimmed and cured, but have not found.

Growing seeds is a crap shoot (1000's of possible phenotype combinations), and I am too old to waste many years hoping to find something better. If I had a few acres, without animals or insect pests, maybe it would be fun to try finding something from seeds. Last time I grew outdoors, and brought plants inside, trashed all I had from bringing in broad mites.

dissolute

Makes no sense to leach the coco medium every 3rd watering.

Here's the world's largest tomato hydroponic farm grown in coco coir. Couldn't imagine them leaching the coco medium every 3rd watering.

[YOUTUBEIF]bRyBKWqLzI8[/YOUTUBEIF]

They're most likely maintaining 10-20% runoff per day and monitoring it periodically on an elemental basis to adjust their feed balance.

It's a super common horticultural system for those scales.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I was lucky to get extremely stable genetics, and many before me figured out it hated more than 600PPM/1.2 EC. I suck at reading plants. Like you said, overfeeding would magnify any buildup issues.
There are a lot of strains out there, esp. landrace genetics or –hybrids that don’t like much higher feed than the EC 1.2 you mention ..Haze hybrids, Blueberry, Herijuana, Black Domina etc that don’t need much more than that
Hi GoatCheese,

all the best
I don’t quite get what you mean by sustained plan.. And I haven’t grown many modern popular strains from the USA, like sour bubble, so I can’t comment. I live in EU myself and I’m not too interested in modern polyhybrids in general, not European or US strains

I change my feeding thru out the flowering cycle; slightly altering the NPK ratio as the weeks roll by = More BioBizz grow (more nitrogen) in first few weeks of bloom then I’ll start giving the plants more BioBizz Bloom (more phosphorus) while cutting back the BB Grow component. And during the last few weeks, before I start giving them just water(+BioBizz TopMax) without nutrients, I give them very little BB Grow and replace some of it with a PK 13/14 nute so I can drop most of the nitrogen out of the feed, in order to get smoother smoking product = too much nitrogen makes the bud harsh on the throat.
..too much nitrogen in later bloom will also make the plants show intersex traits (nanners) more easily.

Absolem

I ran GH for many years. Super easy to use and very consistent for quality regarding their elemental ppms. I personally think the new label on GH advises people to leach/flush their medium every 3rd watering because many growers add so many additives it fucks with the formula they advise people to use. Leaching/flushing would then be a corrective measure they put in place for growers knowing they will add more of what's recommended or add-ons to their formula.

For the last 7-8 years I've been mixing up my own fertilizer formula. I do water every 7-10 days with microbes and worm castings with no fertilizer. If you have a sound fertilizer formula I see no need to leach/flush the medium weekly. That's why I posted what they do in the AG industry because we are part of the AG industry.

Here's a few pics from my grow.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

indagroove

Veteran
I ran GH for many years. Super easy to use and very consistent for quality regarding their elemental ppms. I personally think the new label on GH advises people to leach/flush their medium every 3rd watering because many growers add so many additives it fucks with the formula they advise people to use. Leaching/flushing would then be a corrective measure they put in place for growers knowing they will add more of what's recommended or add-ons to their formula.

For the last 7-8 years I've been mixing up my own fertilizer formula. I do water every 7-10 days with microbes and worm castings with no fertilizer. If you have a sound fertilizer formula I see no need to leach/flush the medium weekly. That's why I posted what they do in the AG industry because we are part of the AG industry.

Here's a few pics from my grow.

View Image View Image View Image View Image

Looks great man! Silica is part C tho? Don’t you add that first?

indagroove

Veteran
Thanks. Yeah I add the silica first. I consider the "A" and "B" as the base feed. Also mix up a pk with vitamins for weeks 3-5.

Nice. What sort of Si are you using, and at what ppm? I've been using Armor Si myself, around 25ppm.

Absolem

Nice. What sort of Si are you using, and at what ppm? I've been using Armor Si myself, around 25ppm.

I use Agsil 16 from Custom Hydro Nutrients. I'll mix 320 grams to 4 liters of steamed distilled water. I then add it at a rate of 2ml a gallon. At 2 ml/gallon Si=9.8 ppm and K=10.7 ppm. I cut Si out in week 2 of flower because it doesn't play nice with Bio Ag Full Power.

Arthur Mix

I’ve used flora nova for years and Maxigro and Maxibloom , odd bits of seaweed added sometimes . Simple cheap and it works with coco ,single watering daily hempy buckets ,no flush till finish just maybe a lighter feed every now and again . Cheap simple and works

Latest posts

Latest posts