What's new

Getting Quality Buds

flyer81

Well... when you put it that way I think I get exactly what you mean. My plants are reacting and growing in a way I have never seen them do. So very obviously things are different now that I gave them a completely dark environment. Now this makes me wonder what street lights do to plants in the area.

Devilman

While some strains are certainly more reactive to light-leaks than others (especially if they are using strains that have been indoors only for generations) , I think that for most people they seriously over-estimate the risk / problems of light-leaks..

I mean c'mon people, have you never looked up at the night sky on a full moon and thought "hmm, not exactly 'dark' is it?" Truth is, the plants are very often exposed to low levels of light during their "dark period" in nature without a hermie or re-veg behaviour showing up.

I think the "type" of light leak is FAR more important than just saying any light leak is going to hermie a plant. a direct "pinpoint" of light hitting a leaf constantly for example, I believe, is far more likely to cause an issue than a faint "glow" of light that gently "seeps" into a grow space.

Otherwise most annual's and garden flowers would be totally freaked out in any area that had street lights and this simply isn't the case.

flyer81

The light leak was massive. I didnt understand the importance of darkness and so just had a curtain between the spaces and thus it would billow out and allow a lot of light through. I could clearly see my way around the room at "night" time. Now it is very dark in there. The only light source is the green LEDs on my controller. The plants have stretched and grown bigger than they ever have despite similar veg times so I have hopes that this makes the difference. Also, the environment is way more stable.