What's new

Getting Durdy w/ recycled soil!

hey Durdy! i'm gonna watch this go down!
question for you...
in your radioactive veg room what kind of mulch do you use? looks like straw maybe...?
just kidding about the radioactive comment, it looks like you watered your plants with the ooze from teenage mutant ninja turles though! awesome pic!

D

Durdy

hey Durdy! i'm gonna watch this go down!
question for you...
in your radioactive veg room what kind of mulch do you use? looks like straw maybe...?
just kidding about the radioactive comment, it looks like you watered your plants with the ooze from teenage mutant ninja turles though! awesome pic!

I might have I might have.........

and yes that is straw, was thinking about using cocoa husks too.

hey Durdy,
i wonder if the ratio of sphagnum peat moss to compost/ewc/leaf litter/top soil is correct?

80 gallons sphagnum peat moss : 9 gallons total of compost/ewc/leaf litter/top soil

correct me if i'm wrong, but the aeration items, the vermiculite and coco husk would be categorized as basically inert material material in your medium wouldn't they? wouldn't you want to bump up the compost or ewc?

if i didn't notice, you or somebody else would have. if you're anything like me math becomes a serious challenge after a couple bong rips...

2 + 2 + doritos + ice cream = wasn't i just mixing soil? fuck!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Durdy

All kinds of parameters and exceptions to consider but 25% on the compost is pretty typical.

One thing that you can do to extend your EWC is that after you plant your clones then top-dress with EWC. According to Cornell University, 1" is the same as adding 10% and 2" would be, obviously, 20% and a typical ratio on EWC is between 10 - 20% but again there are a number of variables like the quality of the compost as well as the EWC, etc.

But that's starting point you could consider working with......

HTH

CC

S

SeaMaiden

if i didn't notice, you or somebody else would have. if you're anything like me math becomes a serious challenge after a couple bong rips...

2 + 2 + doritos + ice cream = wasn't i just mixing soil? fuck!

You can keep track of the numbers? That's what always gets me, I get distracted and then it's, "Oooohhh... shit!"

D

Durdy

Back with more sensible numbers

55 gal Sphagnum peat

15 gal EWC

22.5 gal Topsoil (clay)

30 gal aeration (red lava rock, pumice, rice hulls)

15 gal Vermiculite

15 gal Cocoa husks

15 gal Leaf Litter

15 gal Compost

30 cups Crab shell meal

60 cups Kelp meal

60 cups Fish meal

60 cups High P bat guano

30 cups Neem cake

15 cups Alfalfa

8.5 cups Oyster shell flour

8.5 cups Azomite

22 cups Basalt rock dust

22 cups Glacial rock dust

Totals

Peat - 55 gal - 28%

Aeration - 60 gal - 30%

Humus - 82.5 gal - 42%

I'm thinking I might adjust numbers so the peat and hummus percentages are switched, I have extra peat on hand so if the mix isn't looking like the proper consistency more will be added.

D

Durdy

Yeah I'd like to get into No Tills, so its got lots of good stuff in there.

Will try to get it mixed together before I leave for Hawaii on Monday.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Getting Durdy w/ recycled soil!

16 degrees Fahrenheit right now... With the sun out and was -8 last night.

Hawaii sounds very nice right now, but I do like having a huge fire inside.

D

Durdy

Thanks for the well wishes! It was really more of a reminder for me that I get a break from this cold spell soon.

Yeah all the citrus growers have been on edge for the last few days, we've been getting freezes every night. I believe it hit around 26F - 27F last night, and is supposed to be even colder tonight and into the beginning of the week.

Smudge pots and wind towers are in full force around town!

I've been spraying my citrus down with water a little after dark so that freezes and protects the leaves and fruit. Bumper crop coming in this year, would be a shame to see it spoiled.

Latest posts

Latest posts