What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Getting dry pockets in soil in grow bags

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i'm growing in 3gallon fabric bags- due to location i can only fill a 40oz container - when i pour it, some of the water comes out the side , into the bottom dish- by the time i refill the container (i give em about 70oz per watering), the water in the bottom dish is gone... and usually the 2nd 40oz is taken directly into the soil... none in the bottom dish... the plants appear happy...

Three Berries

My last soil mix I filled some 16oz solos cups and measured the amount of water it took for run off. They took about 33% of initial dry weight before excess or 5.5 fl oz.

I use the stick in the dirt water meters and have three with two close to the same to each other. But for large growing plants if it goes below 8 then I water but not to run off. Usually a quart at a time twice a day with a half gallon at once every three days for three gallon pails. Just barely enough runoff to get a sample for pH.

Waiting on my flowering one to slow down on the drinking as a sign she's done.

Sasult

Started to get this problem when I started no till. So I poked some small holes in the lid of a 1C mason jar, put yuca water in it and let it drip over the dry spot. Working so far, but I think i'm going to get some SIP planters.