What's new

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

the gnome

Veteran
I'm in fl and gnats are just a part of life inside and out no matter what.
since i started indoors Ive had em to one degree or another.
those donut dunks really didn't do much.
when i started inside I wasn't sealed.
when i went sealed w/Co2 I still had em but they're a low level prob since I went sealed.
I don't do anything to combat em and they haven't multiplied like they did in the unsealed gro's.

here's and easy way to combat gnat naturally.
they can't resist and love a nice sweet red port wine or rice wine vinegar.
get something like an empty anything bottle with a small opening,
a 1/2" of wine in it and leave these in & around the pots.
you'll start seeing the corpses the next day.
i started by putting the wine in saucer and seeing the bodies, you'll trap-n-kill lots more with the bottle tough :joint:

another way Is to get some ripe fruit like a piece of banana, or a plum thats starting oozing juice is a good 1.
you don't need a big piece, a 1" slice of nanar will do.
put the bait on a plate or piece of paper, and keep handy bug spray like the kitchen safe flying insect stuff in the blue bottle
after a hour or two the gnats will be all over the fruit,
while concentrated in 1 spot blast em with the spray.
you can do this maybe a couple times with the same piece, after that they smell the poison and won't land on the bait.
I replaced the paper and bait every time,
depending how many times you do this you can knock down a few hundred gnats a day.
but gnats are pretty spooky and fly off when you get close so go stealthy on their little butts!

What's your suggestion? Using a dunk dry, and applying it to the top on the planting medium like you suggested, or put it in your reservoir and watering with it?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
What's your suggestion? Using a dunk dry, and applying it to the top on the planting medium like you suggested, or put it in your reservoir and watering with it?

There is stuff called Gnatrol specifically for them. A guy on e-bay has it real cheap (9 dollars). He buys bulk, and sells small amounts in ziploc bag, free shipping, and a yellow sticky trap for them.

Unclecrash

Just stopping in to say I been using the moskito bits for a couple run's and I just keep sprinkling a bit on when it looks like it washes into the coco. And I have not seen a flier in a week or two. It has kept them little fungas knats to a flier or two tops. It seems to work the best when the humidity is arund 50% or so and the stuff starts growing like white webbing or fuzzy stuff.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ook.

Let's try this again.

I am contacting any producers of Bti products to inquire if they sell a live product or viable spores.

If you use a product not listed below, post it and contact the producer. Or just post and I'll do it ;)

Gnatrol (Valent) - emailed

BMC (Ecological Laboratories) - viable spores. Had to pull a few teeth for a straight forward answer.

Mosquito Bits/Dunks (Summit Chemical) - previous inquiry, no viable culture/spore.

Bti WDG (Golden Harvest Organics) - emailed

Unclecrash

curious why your inquiring to see if live or not. Im still 100% free of Gnats the sm90 finished them off . I have not used the bits for a month or so .

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People make choices based on possibly incorrect information.

Ego plays a part as well.

SM90 is good stuff.

Bmac1

Veteran
Im battling with these little fuckers again this round. I have sticky traps but it appears the hypoaspis miles have disappeared. I could get more but I am wondering if I should try gnatrol? I have read that SM90 wipes out the microherd too so I dont want to go that route though I do have a bottle. Does gnatrol wipe out beneficial bacteria as well?

Topping the pots with sand will be my last resort but I know that works, just looking to try something new if it works. The Hypo miles are about $35 CDN pesos delivered.

Bmac1

Veteran
I Think the problem with dunks is that they are often mis-used. Im pretty sure it takes a while for them to break down if you will and start to do what they do. Once they do get to work, I believe they are only effective for 4-5 weeks. I think adding the dunk crumble in stages may be a better approach.

Muleskinner

Veteran
The dunks work fine to administer Bti but they have some ingredients that are not organic. Gnatrol will keep you 100% organic. It's a digestive parasite for bug larvae, it won't affect the health of the soil bacteria.

The Gnatrol powder loses its effectiveness over time, I find after 6-12 months in storage I need to use 50% more which sucks, it's expensive. The old liquid version used to store in the refrigerator and stay potent for a couple years.

Neem works great but if you soil drench with it the plants will suffer. D-earth or sand on the surface works good too but can be hard to maintain.

Old Fogey

There is a product called Vectobac WDG that leaves all others for dead for ease of use and for cost.

It is granulated Bti that will store for 2 years and costs about $200 for 500 grams.

Some hydro stores sell it in smaller quantities packaged in their own labelled containers, usually $80 for 50 grams.

You use 1 gram per 2.5 gals of water and apply three treatments over three weeks at 7 day intervals.

I totally eradicated fungus gnat from my grow earlier in the year using this product. They've come back again and I'm just a few days away from the third and final drenching and I don't expect another infestation in this grow.

To put things in perspective: Gnatrol has around 3 grams of Bti in a bottle. That's around $1.20 worth if you buy in a 500 gram tub of vectobac wdg.

I highly recommend treating fungus gnats with granulated Bti.

Peace

Muleskinner

Veteran
I believe Vectobac WDG is the same product as Gnatrol. yes, it's great stuff, without it I'd probably have to use nemotodes which cost a lot more.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Using dunks constantly, with every watering, I have very few flying gnats, but tons of them in the run-off. One reason I keep wanting to give up coir and go back to flood and drain hydroton.

Hi is this a fungus gnat? I used time release composted chicken manure and put on top.

The worm photo is a long wet gross worm, no black head but I might look again.
Its 100F every day the soil was dry, I had to water just now so thats why its wet although its obviously way to damp over all.
And yes I have flying bugs but hard to get them in my scope to photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GNATROL-WDG...hash=item3a8748bed5:m:mCLhcbF8oYA2-p9CvVO8htg

VIDEO OF MAGGOTS!
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2dqikub%3E&s=9#.V3SXbTV0SUk

Last edited:

DONAJTHEIII

Hi is this a fungus gnat? I used time release composted chicken manure and put on top.

The worm photo is a long wet gross worm, no black head but I might look again.
Its 100F every day the soil was dry, I had to water just now so thats why its wet although its obviously way to damp over all.
And yes I have flying bugs but hard to get them in my scope to photo.
https://postimg.org/image/wcsspdssh/View Image

https://postimg.org/image/8zur6vcox/View Image

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GNATROL-WDG...hash=item3a8748bed5:m:mCLhcbF8oYA2-p9CvVO8htg

VIDEO OF MAGGOTS!
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2dqikub>&s=9#.V3SXbTV0SUk

first photo looks like a springtail. Second is fungus gnat larvae.

hope this helps !

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts