What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

slowandeasy

Veteran
Thanks Lola! I will look it up. Are there any precautions or special instructions I should follow? I just saw a Gnat on my Coco. Bought some Dunks from Lowes last night, will use those also. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have never had a bug in my room. Thanks alot!!

reckon

What brand of Bombs and Sprays would people suggest?

for a bomb, look for pyrethrin as the active ingredient, it's an extractive of chrysanthemums

it'll kill the adults instantly, and turn to co2 and water in 3 days

for the spray, it's the same thing, look for pyrethrin (fox farms "don't bug me" spray)

the sprays only kill the exposed adults however, they do absolutely nothing for the eggs, larvae, and pupae infesting the soil.

L

LolaGal

Thanks Lola! I will look it up. Are there any precautions or special instructions I should follow? I just saw a Gnat on my Coco. Bought some Dunks from Lowes last night, will use those also. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I have never had a bug in my room. Thanks alot!!

I would not use it around birds or aquariums, the directions are on the package.

dunks will probably be all u need if you only have one gnat.

I do not have any experience with coco though,, sorry. I am strictly a soil grower...

slowandeasy

Veteran
I would not use it around birds or aquariums, the directions are on the package.

dunks will probably be all u need if you only have one gnat.

I do not have any experience with coco though,, sorry. I am strictly a soil grower...

So it is safe to use for humans and dogs, just birds and fish it is toxic to? This is in a basement of a house lived in with a small child, so I do not want to use anything harmful. Thanks!

L

LolaGal

So it is safe to use for humans and dogs, just birds and fish it is toxic to? This is in a basement of a house lived in with a small child, so I do not want to use anything harmful. Thanks!

it is poison, so I would be super careful!

That is one reason I use dunks, it takes longer, but it is non toxic.

Of course, I had to experiment with the dunks and find my own path to success with them. I could not find any info when I got started with dunks.

If you have not used a bug bomb before, they tend to find any crack in the floor etc., and poison goes everywhere!

It is literally a fog you can't see through!

oh by the way, bug bombs will explode if you leave a gas flame burning when you pop them. They blew up a house with them once on Mythbusters. It was cool.

ToughGirl

Just an update, it's been a few weeks since I started using dunks, and my grow rooms are gnat free:) The dunks really did the trick! I also sterilized all the remaining soil I had (which was a lot!) so I hope this won't happen again. I have to give you props girl, that worked out really well!:)
Everyone needs to watch out if they use soil from Lowes or HD, I used it once in a pinch and got 3 million gnats from it. Never again...

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
o wow ..... :whee: i so needed this thread....

discovered the infestation yesterday in 3 20 gl. pots growing lemon cucumbers... today it's like a fuking horror movie... i'm sure it sunted the growth of these heirloom plants... way before i ever saw them ....

i just ordered 20 dunks on amazon bit i'm running out to lowes today cuz i'm freaking out on 'em and got to get this under control before they make it across the garden to my cannabis.. or worse. to my indoor grow.

T

turtle farmer

cant thank you enough Lola and friends.:canabis::canabis:..I passed off some plants to a great group of people two weeks ago,and got a message this morning that they were infested!!!I never saw a thing on them,and I looked extensively.I learn a lot from this page and site---:thank you:
tf

:smoweed:

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
Fuck em... i am gona try it... I got Yellow Traps full up.. I got a Inn Keeper on my Yellow Traps saying "No Room at the Inn" lol

L

LolaGal

glad things are working out for ya'll!

General Grievious: go easy on the dunks! It is not necessary to use a whole dunk per pot! 1/4 tsp per 3 gallon pot is plenty!

L

LolaGal

Lola i actually ran into your post awhile back while i was having an extensive problem with fungus gnats...for those of you who think they are just a major annoyance you should look up the life cycle. The larva feed on organic matter and love moist soil. When the soil gets to dry or runs out of organic matter where are they going to go?? Strait to your roots which causes stunted growth etc...
That said i just wanted to say thank u lola and to tell all you skeptics that this lil trick works and works well...:ying:

You are Most Welcome! :)

glad to hear another success story of the death of the gnat... ;)

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LolaGal again.

You may not vote on any more threads today.

reckon

I let my gnat problem get WAY out of hand before I did anything (don't ever do this)

I had to resort to using 4 applications of an imdacloprid insecticide, and now I only see a couple now and again.

I am stalling my next grow (now 2 weeks overdue to plant) till I get these things completely gone, then I will be building my soil with diatomaceous earth, and "scratching in" crumbled dunks in the top 2" of soil, then an azamax soil drench once a month till flowering.

don't do what I did, and let em get out of hand, because once they move in, they are almost impossible to get out (and keep your plants)

jumanji2

oh oh

oh oh

First of all thanks to everyone on here for they're info. ICMAG has helped this noob very much so thanks!

I'm doing hydro (bubblers) and have recently noticed these damn gnats flying around, a couple days ago I noticed the larvae crawling in and out of the rockwool of my cuttings. Which makes sense cause my cuttings have been rooting extremely slow and is seems that I'm losing vigour on one of my plants that's in flower. My question is it possible for these things to live in the hydroton like that?? I've only seen a few gnats flying around in my res so I haven't panic yet. But maybe I should start huh? And should I just toss my cuttings? I'm going shopping today for the dunks, flypaper and tanglefoot. Another thing, I had some root rot a while back and have been using ewc tea for good benes and to prevent it..could they have come from the compost?? Thanks for all your suggestions.

jumanji2

Dextr, Yea I use it with rw, I just throw a cup of the tea in the res every 3-4 days to prevent root rot. It builds a colony of good benes in the res.

jumanji2

No it doesn't at all, but yea organic nutes is what I believe gave me the root rot in the 1st place before I changed to chemical. I learned about the tea on the slimey root build up sticky from richyrich. But now I'm wondering if the compost is giving me the gnat larvae, maybe I used too much compost idk??

jumanji2

Well I decided just to toss the one clone that had the larvae in the rw. The other ones seem ok, I went out and bought the dunks and sprinkled it around the rw and threw 1/4 chunk of one in the res. I also bought the hot shots no pest strips for the adults so I guess time will tell now.

As far the tea goes, it seems to have helped me beat the root rot, I also had the slime and it got rid of that too. The guys on the slime build up sticky use it for their cloners and their res so I gave it a shot and worked. I read all 70+ pages on that. I guess u can say I jumped off the bridge with them but I saw where they landed first lol

jumanji2

Hey guys I'm starting to see less and less gnats everyday..as a matter of fact I haven't seen one today..hope it stays that way. Thank you all for the info