What's new

Get baked and tear around the city on ma bike time!

Title about says it all. My current rig is an 80's Schwinn World frame with a wheel set from Eighthinch. I'm rocking the big chain ring in front and a 16 tooth fixed cog in the back. After too many close encounters with poor braking performance under wet conditions, I've decided to put my freewheel away for a little while.

What are you riding?

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I love riding, all kinds including dirt bikes and motorcycles but my main preference nowadays are road bikes. It's the best of both worlds, if you like breaking a sweat that is. :D

Right now I'm using a modified Trek, don't know the exact model. Grabbed it at a yard sale. I swapped out the wheels and put road wheels on it, new pedals and handlebars. It looks like a road bike with a fatboy frame. Fortunately it's pretty light.

supermanlives

Veteran
nothing i got a flat. i got a full suspension aluminum bike from mongoose (blackcomb model) nothing that special but not junk eaither. great fro jumping and offroad. not so good on pavement as the fat tires and suspension make peddling harder than need be . need a thin wheeled bike for city

I lived in the bay area of Cali back when I came back from Nam, had a Honda 360CL and did a lot of that!!!! Was great fun, too. I remem one time I cruised to Benicia from Concord to see a friend brewing some Tim Leary "ergot mold" from morning glory seeds. Comin' home in the middle of the nite that bike went up the north side of the Benecia bridge....and kept goin' up to an altitube of 'bout 6-700 ft. Coulda been those seeds, coulda been the hash, but was a trippy ride for 'bout an hour and a half. (coulda been REAL, too)

Rasputin
Motorcycles are fun as hell, but I'm a little too caught up in the gears of the beast to ride right now. That's how I ended up a street cyclist, but if you know anyone looking to buy my bike...I kid. I intend to be freeze dried in a bull riding position atop my Harley when I die.

We are already acquainted from another site, no?

SupaMan
I don't really have anywhere nearby to ride a mountain bike, but a couple of amigos have piqued my interest. Are you going to score yourself a road bike soon?

Eric
Keep talking. I want more details LOL.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ride a 2006 trek 820 I picked up on CL for 50 bucks. A little tuning and it turned into a damn good bike. I put 11.5 miles on it today, hard appalachian mountain miles.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
Fuji

Fuji

2db2qmq.jpg

FlaDankster

Veteran
If that was you Fly by Night i'd send your ass a plane ticket to come down for groupa samich's.

Uh Huuuuh.....

I just picked up a new trek mountain bike in my quest to not be fat anymore and damn I'm having a blast. Mostly fire and logging roads in this area. I'm up to about 5 miles before I feel like dying. It's progress, was only 3mi 2 weeks ago.

festerous

Veteran
I just picked up a new trek mountain bike in my quest to not be fat anymore and damn I'm having a blast. Mostly fire and logging roads in this area. I'm up to about 5 miles before I feel like dying. It's progress, was only 3mi 2 weeks ago.

If you are new to mountain biking always ride with gloves and keep your cranks level when not pedaling.
You haven't lived until you've experienced picking rocks out of shredded palms.

Yeah. I have gloves......now.

It's amazing how little it takes to make 270 lbs fly.

festerous

Veteran
Yeah. I have gloves......now.

It's amazing how little it takes to make 270 lbs fly.

At 270 make sure you have the extra firm shock springs installed. I'm 210 and find it makes a tremendous difference. Some suspension company's are notorious for using springs geared towards a 150 pound rider.

OldSkoolKlein

Well this is an easy one for me, just look at my avatar pic. Yep an Old Skool Klein Pulse Pro
as per this pic and specs: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1998&Brand=Klein&Model=Pulse Pro&Type=bike

Only thing I've changed is the bars to wider and raised ones (700mm), different tyres (semi slicks), and seat. Still rock the Grip Shift shifters, though I had to replace one of the shifters (bastard to get hold of, but i got them). And the rear cassette/front chain rings and chain due to wear & tear (realistically, I snapped a chain due to sprockets being the originals 10 yrs later; it wasn't used that much by previous owner/s).

Go to mtbr.com and look in the archive section if your bike is over say 5 yrs old and see how it was rated by other owners. Mine had an average rating of about 4.6/5 over 200+ reviews.

Light, flickable, climbs like a mountain goat.

Last edited:

OldSkoolKlein

P.S. It's a little scary riding it too smashed. Gotta be REAL careful. But with the right smoke, it's a blast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts