What's new

Germinating Freshly Harvested Seeds?

​I am hoping to squeeze in two generations of an Autoflower breeding project in my short outdoor growing season. Does anybody have first hand experience, or information on germinating Freshly Harvested Seeds?

Can they be removed from flowers before they dry? Can seeds be safely and rapidly dried in dessicant without negative effects? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
​​​​

troutman

Seed Whore
I find seeds germinate better after a little time in the refrigerator to simulate an artificial Winter.
It's best to allow seeds to mature properly in the buds. Don't harvest all your seeds early just in
case they fail to germinate if you try to rush things. That all being said, one time I was breeding
and found a seed that was germinating by itself on the tent floor in water I spilled.

Growenhaft

​Können Samen ohne negative Auswirkungen sicher und schnell im Trockenmittel getrocknet werden? ​​​​

No, you can't.

If you look at the ingredients of a seed you will find that they consist of a variety of different fats and oils. These are the fuel to trigger a chain reaction when exposed to heat, moisture and radiation and enable the first cell division ... the beginning of germination.

if you remove the moisture from your seeds ... this is always uncontrolled ... you cannot measure the water content of the different oils and fats ... you do not know how much drying is required to just let the nutshell dry to give it flexibility take so that it can rise. With a fast drying it will always be the case that the concentration of your fats and oils deteriorates. as a result, this has a very poor germination rate and many mutations.

The best way to dry seeds really potent is in weed ... this is where they are best protected ... can even ripen after harvest.

the cold mentioned by @Forellenman ... to simulate a winter ... it is really just a means to remove the residual moisture from the nutshell and to protect the inside.

Because if the peel is too damp ... has never been able to dry out properly, it will not break open.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I've had seeded t haze plants drop seeds into the pot and germinate.

Drying seeded bud intact is a good method, doing so as per method of drying un seeded bud.

Drying ripe seeds in a controlled way is not critical, if the beans are ripe, they will germinate 99%.

Awesome, that is great to hear! I will alter some of my Pollination sequencing plans accordingly now. Thank you very much for that.

I will be sure to dry and store the majority of the seeds properly for long term Preservation. But I look forward to being able to immediately sprout the next generation of seeds after a typical hang dry. I will be sure to report back afterwards as to whether or not there were significant germination problems

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I just took a tiny dried up lower bud of a knocked-up Sativa, and wet some seeds. It is only 8 weeks in flower, but the seeds look dark and ready. We'll see.

goingrey

I just took a tiny dried up lower bud of a knocked-up Sativa, and wet some seeds. It is only 8 weeks in flower, but the seeds look dark and ready. We'll see.

When I make seeds I usually pollinate a low branch with a brush about six weeks before the planned harvest. Never had immature seeds yet. Eight weeks should be more than enough for a seed to ripen but of course that's counting from when the pollen grain hit the pistil, not from when the mom started flowering.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I remember an Old picture from High Times that had a seeded Hawaiian plant in full bloom, which having dropped the earliest pollinated seeds at its own base, had little baby sprouts All around like a proud Mama with a pack of kids.

Pretty common to give fresh seeds a 6 week resting period from Harvest to Sprout. Bet these crank up right away for you thanks to some of the Tropical genetics. Good luck flylowgethigh., and don't assume they're dead or infertile if they don't sprout. If they hesitate, remove them from soil, dry and put them in the freezer for a few days or weeks. Then they will definitely know it's time.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I just wanted to see if these would tail. If they do, I have no idea what I will do with them. The next run is a different Haze, straight from Chicago.

JockBudman

Ah just put down some freshish seed - 1x Blueberry Parfume F3 an 4x TM1xBBPf2 (Tm1 was a fast flowerin tropical mix girl that yielded well an has a nice sleep inducin stone)

They were harvested around Nov last year an just rested in jars wi the buds. All cracked an are in soil waitin tae come up - some only went in a few hours ago so plenty time for them tae appear.

Ah'd say go for it. Might need a few spares if they're too fresh but ah think you'll get decent results wi a week in the fridge tae help them along.

Latest posts

Latest posts