What's new

Genetically engineered Aedes aegypti (OX5034) mosquitoes

shiva82

i stand corrected. my apologies. it can be classed as either insect or animal[They are considered both. A mosquito is under the class Insecta, which is the largest class under phylum Arthropoda. This means that this organism has an exoskeleton, a slim segmented body, as well as a pair of appendages. Mosquitoes also have no capacity to produce food on their own. ] . Plasmodium is what causes malaria

Reactions: X15

X15

How do you feel about malaria?

You do realize that the mosquito is the deadliest animal, right?
Malaria is horrific. I have never had it and I would never wish it upon others.

But let me ask you, is your fear of malaria pushing your trust in these organizations? Do you just assume this will stop malaria Because someone like bill gates says So? @mean mr.mustard

X15

: "These 'promiscuous' transposons have found special favour with genetic engineers, whose goal is to create 'universal' systems for transferring genes into any and every species on earth. Almost none of the geneticists has considered the hazards involved ...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

How do you’ll feel about this?
Mixed feelings. I carried out a mosquito control program in the 80s using Vectobac (B. Thuringiensis Israelensis) which was very effective and provided a lot of relief to humans and horses (and presumably wildlife). Mosquitoes were reduced about 80% The unknown was the possible shortfall of mosquitoes as a food source.

I can see the reasons for the genetically engineered mosquitoes for disease reduction but I hope that they use them in populated areas only. I'm not sure what difference it will make in the long run if humans continue to invade and clear wilderness.

BTW I saw no mention of Bill Gates in the article.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Mosquito populations do pollinate and provide food sources for other animals that are depended upon for ecological stability.

They're also terrible for humanity.

Is that trust in organizations?

If you're implying that I think genetic tinkering is a great idea then I can reassure you I do not.

I do accept that plenty of the food I eat has been tampered with genetically.

Just because I have to live in this world doesn't mean that I condone every behavior.

I also don't have to flip shit over people trying to make it a better place.

X15

Mixed feelings. I carried out a mosquito control program in the 80s using Vectobac (B. Thuringiensis Israelensis) which was very effective and provided a lot of relief to humans and horses (and presumably wildlife). Mosquitoes were reduced about 80% The unknown was the possible shortfall of mosquitoes as a food source.

I can see the reasons for the genetically engineered mosquitoes for disease reduction but I hope that they use them in populated areas only. I'm not sure what difference it will make in the long run if humans continue to invade and clear wilderness.

BTW I saw no mention of Bill Gates in the article.
Oxitec is his baby. Gates is one of the largest financial supporters. So yes his name is in the article. His company, his name.

X15

they just toss his name in as click-bait, much as Soros & the Kochs are used. Musk seems to not be bright enough to be a super-villain...:bigeye: rich enough, but too dumb.
Well I didn’t put in Musk bc I haven’t read anywhere where he is associated. But bill gates is very much attached to this via Oxitec. He speaks on behalf of them in the past and will continue to front the bill for the company.

X15

Mosquito populations do pollinate and provide food sources for other animals that are depended upon for ecological stability.

They're also terrible for humanity.

Is that trust in organizations?

If you're implying that I think genetic tinkering is a great idea then I can reassure you I do not.

I do accept that plenty of the food I eat has been tampered with genetically.

Just because I have to live in this world doesn't mean that I condone every behavior.

I also don't have to flip shit over people trying to make it a better place.
This isn’t about tinkering with gmo foods. This is about tinkering with humans.

X15

BudToaster

Veteran

How do you’ll feel about this?
i would (y) your post for bringing up the topic, but i am not a fan of synthetic biology. or any kind of genetic tinkering. something i can agree with mr.mustard about.

Reactions: X15

X15

Read this one. It might help, my apologies.
Let's see how you make the connection...
@BudToaster yeah I feel ya. I’m not for any of it either. I think it’s an awful idea with too much room for foul play. I was just curious if anyone else has connected any of the dots. Usually don’t post stuff like this bc I don’t like to argue, esp argue about something so sinister. But we all have our own opinions and I can appreciate that. Just thought I’d share the info.

Much Respect!
nasa~

Latest posts

Latest posts