What's new

Genetic vs Stressed Hermies

NaturalEssance

I only ask because I had this happen years ago and have some beans stashed away and was considering growing a couple out sometime in the future as well as throwing pollen on the best females from those seedlings a was kind of worried about putting bad genes in the pool

Ready4

Veteran
I have a plant that typically pumps out a few seeds, no biggie there.
I had an idea that maybe it was caused by being rootbound.
I planted in a much larger pot to test. No seeds at all.
Thought it might be a light leak too. Gave light leaks on purpose when in larger pot = no seeds.
I think some strains will pump a few seeds when not given a lot of room for roots.

Fuel

I have questions on stressed herms if stressed on purpose and seeds do not show traits are the seedlings considered carriers of herm gens and should only be smoke or is it safe to do a cross with a stable male ???

You can decrease the herm rate of a line with a bunch of effort and space. Understand that in the offspring you will mathematically have pure female and males, even if the seeds come from twos herms mutually pollenated. The level of hermaphrodism (like 75% herm or 25% herm, by example) will dictate the logistic necessary to epurate the line. A dozen of rounds in a 50 slots tent, or a warehouse.

Hermaphrodism is a trait like all others, so you have to juggle with just like any other trait. With one difference, when you get a herm you can consider it as a mutant. And a mutation is always dominant, to the point to extinguish somes species if any.

The true difficulty, outside killing every single specimen wich show a sexual instability (in every stage of theyr life), is to recognize a latent herm from a true male/female. I don't speak about thoses specimens wich declare herm after a stress, but those wich never declare in passing the gens you're fighting against.

If you have somes seeds from a beauttifull/sticky/potent herm, it will hard to don't try your chance for the fun but you have to consider first that theses seeds as "polluted" just like a raw landrace that you just enter in your stock. It imply additionnals rules and methods that change entirely the way your crop is running.

Personnally, outside very exceptionnal cases (no equivalent, loved landrace, last reg on the market, etc) i prefer invest this time and efforts in more valuable projects.

igrowone

Veteran
I have questions on stressed herms if stressed on purpose and seeds do not show traits are the seedlings considered carriers of herm gens and should only be smoke or is it safe to do a cross with a stable male ???

i doubt there is a 'good' answer here, i've been dabbling with hermie genetics for a few years now
in short, is there something in your genetics that's worth the risk?
no question there will be some increase in hermie tendencies
but the inheritance is not so simple
if the intersex trait was dominant, cannabis would probably be all intersex
and it's not a recessive trait either
all cannabis has the capacity to intersex, well established in the mainstream research