What's new

genes

circadian clock

i was wondering if there was any type of genes in cannabis plants that could only be seen or activated by certain enviornmental influences. like for example some strains turn purple in colder climates, but i was thinking more along the lines of speeding up harvest dates by breeding in hydro cuz i heard hydro tends to be faster. i thought instead of crossing shorter flowering plants to reduce it theres got to be a way to cause things to flower faster like some type of mechanism.
also i was thinking could u turn a single cola plant into a branching plant by repeated topping and then making a cross while it was topped. it seemed to work on some annuals i have around the house u just have to time it right. anyway i was just thinking out loud. after typing i realised this could be called mutation.

Last edited:
G

sativa and indica

sativas are longer flowerers and typically were born out of hotter regions

indicas stay smaller than sativas and were born predominatly in more temperate regions

however their are many anomolies that have been created through the many years of breeding

chizzleonetime

basically weed flowers at diff times depending on the original climate of the given strain what you are sayin would take a few hundred years plants wont just evolve over 5-6 grows lol and the suggestion why not breed with hydro plants cos they finish faster? breeding in hydro will not alter the genetics at all

circadian clock

thanks thats what i was asking, so what would make them evolve faster, i cant seem to wait a couple hundred years . so u could alter the original genes? i guess i better set my sites a little lower then. but what about other things like hidden genes that could only be seen/brought out under certain conditions( not recessive)?

Last edited:

chizzleonetime

tbh i dont have much knowedge of cannabis botany i only been growing 2 years, i think its possible to alter cannabis genes but cannabis is relatively under studyed hopefully suzycremecheese or some one more knowledgeable will chime in

circadian clock

nevermind ,seems i found what i was looking for, just didn't get it until now. mystery solved. i guess i could try to explain instead of keeping it 2 myself. bear with me it would be alot easier with pictures :D basically its why cannabis has 2 parents. one does this while the other does this but the right combination can produce the desired outcome or close 2 it. thats why i always thought it would be a good idea for someone to try and produce males instead of females. not something useful except for breeding.almost always we as growers are more focused on what we can consume instead of trying to better the gene pool, well except for a select few. but basically its a very long and tedious process but maybe someone could pick up where others have ended. confused yet. told u its a lot easier with pictures. :bigeye:

Last edited:

circadian clock

i guess what i really was asking was dosn't the environment play a big role in influencing outcomes. like if my friend can grow really good and i couldn't grow to save my life. wouldn't his female be affected by my male just on growing conditions alone even though we both have identical genes.

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
some viruses will harm dna and create negative effects on the genes which will be with that particular plant and all cuttings coming from that particular plant for the rest of its days.

circadian clock

i was thinking today and was wondering instead of trying to shorten flowering tymes
what if we breed towards the other spectum ? seems like everybody is trying to speed up harvests for the supply and demand part which makes sense, but what about the high. i dont think yields would be affected, plus the high would be something. i saw a thread somewhere where old tymers was crossed with lowryder. i sure the intent was to speed up harvest but what about lengthing flowering tyme to bring out a different high in already good stock. lowyielding kush x long flowering oldtymersx high yielding big bud? just a thought. female seeds, autoflowering traits all good for commercial personal plants, dont get me wrong great find! but the species as a whole has gone towards the busy lifestyle of what we call everyday life.

Latest posts

Latest posts