What's new

General question on soil

Camillia

Hey everyone! This is my third year growing, outdoors. Every season I switch the seeds up, all other conditions are the same. Every year I use Promix to start after germination. Seedlings are happy, BUT when I transplant the seedlings into larger pots, they always get nutrient burn! I am using the same soil, from the same bag. (Later switching to Promix BX into the final grow bags with no issues). I always brush it off because it only hurts the poor guys for a bit and its bottom leaves. But I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I am throughly confused.

Attachments

• IMG_8550.jpeg
    IMG_8550.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey everyone! This is my third year growing, outdoors. Every season I switch the seeds up, all other conditions are the same. Every year I use Promix to start after germination. Seedlings are happy, BUT when I transplant the seedlings into larger pots, they always get nutrient burn! I am using the same soil, from the same bag. (Later switching to Promix BX into the final grow bags with no issues). I always brush it off because it only hurts the poor guys for a bit and its bottom leaves. But I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this. I am throughly confused.
Good question friend. The plant above is showing water management issues.
I have used both and had good results with both. Pro mix HP is best for Winter and is used when minimum water retention is needed and Pro mix BX is best for Summer or dryer environments to help hold more water. What makes the difference is the added vermiculite added to BX.

PRO-MIX HP is a peat-based growing medium with high porosity, which means it's more permeable to air and water. The HP stands for "high porosity". PRO-MIX HP is designed to provide a good growing environment for growers who need: drainage capacity, increased air porosity, lower water retention, watering flexibility, and crop seasonality.

PRO-MIX BX is a general-purpose growing medium that can be used for a wide range of crop types and growing applications. PRO-MIX BX is a solution for growers seeking to benefit from both the nutrient retention ability of vermiculite and a perlite content providing limited but proper drainage capacities. Google

Camillia

Good question friend. The plant above is showing water management issues.
I have used both and had good results with both. Pro mix HP is best for Winter and is used when minimum water retention is needed and Pro mix BX is best for Summer or dryer environments to help hold more water. What makes the difference is the added vermiculite added to BX.

PRO-MIX HP is a peat-based growing medium with high porosity, which means it's more permeable to air and water. The HP stands for "high porosity". PRO-MIX HP is designed to provide a good growing environment for growers who need: drainage capacity, increased air porosity, lower water retention, watering flexibility, and crop seasonality.

PRO-MIX BX is a general-purpose growing medium that can be used for a wide range of crop types and growing applications. PRO-MIX BX is a solution for growers seeking to benefit from both the nutrient retention ability of vermiculite and a perlite content providing limited but proper drainage capacities. Google
Thanks for your time! This all makes sense!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for your time! This all makes sense!
Both Pro mixes need a steady feed to maintain vigorous growth. If the mix doesn't get enough EC in the water the plants will have problems. When I use Pro mix I feed a low ppm with every watering and test the pH and EC in the runoff for the whole grow cycle.