What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Organics vs General Hydroponics

While waiting to hear back from hopefully a few more folks, I may as well take my turn.

I have Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3. Nicely rolled and awaiting a touch of flame to spring to life.

Sniffing the joints:

Thing 1: Smells faintly of weed.
Thing 2: Much stronger aroma.
Thing 3: Between the two.

The smell of each is pleasant enough, so on this I'd rank them 2, 3, 1.

First hit:

Thing 1:Smooth, pleasant. Mild fruity flavor on the tip on my tongue on exhale.
Thing 2: Very smooth. No lung expansion.
Thing 3: Similar to 2, but more robust, and not quite as smooth.

End of round one. I'm not going to be sad to finish smoking any of this. And I'm very surprised how different the subtle notes of each tastes.

Thing 1 has a mellow, nice weed-like flavor. Sweetest of the three. Would be nice on a couch with friends.

Thing 2 is by far the smoothest. It is more like smoking out of a vaporizor than smoking a joint. On the down side, it shares the same drawback, in that it is almost too smooth to feel fulfilling. However this one is done would be best for people who tend to coughing problems.

Thing 3 has the strongest hints of floral. Flavor is of similar intensity as Thing 1.

To sum it up, thing 1 tastes the fruitiest, thing 3 tastes the most floral, and thing 2 has only a mild hint of a flavor. I thought I was going to be able to pick out the synthetic pretty easily, and I can't. I contrary to the popular opinion of many, I didn't detect an off flavor to any of them, and wouldn't mind smoking a couple of ounces of all three.

Oh, and yes, right now, the tip of my nose is numb. I'm feeling pretty mellow and okay at the moment.

My picks in order of preference, are 3,2,then 1. Since Dummer Dude rated Thing 1 (Favorite), Thing 2 (2nd), Thing 3 (3rd), lets assign 2 points for a win, and 1 point for 2nd.

That puts the current total at

Thing 1: 2 points (he liked best)
Thing 2: 2 points (we both ranked it second)
Thing 3: 2 points (I liked best)

Report from artist dude:

Thing:1: Strongest aroma and flavor by a long shot- sweet really.
Thing 2: Middle of the pack on aroma and flavor.
Thing 3: Least flavor and aroma, perhaps a little harsh too.

Overall though I'd say #2 and #3 were within about 70% of #1 and still very pleasant. : )

Running total:

Thing 1: 4 points
Thing 2: 3 points
Thing 3: 2 points

Three more results just in:

Dude at the river:
Ranked in order: 1,2,3
"Thing 1 had the best flavor, similar to thing 2. They all three taste organic, but thing 3 needed more flushing."

Lady at the river:

Liked the mildness and gentleness to things 3 and 2. Didn't feel like coughing at all. Wrote a little poem afterwards.

"Thing 1 is done,
Thing 2 is through,
Thing 3 is free
Hooray for me!"

Lady at the river's BF:

Liked 1 the best because it had a stronger taste, more substantial and satisfying. Thought that 3 and 2 were nice, but without the sharper edginess of 1.

Current Totals:
Thing !: 8 points
Thing 2: 5 points
Thing 3: 5 points

Interested to see the final follow through. My experience with GO box nutes has been largely negative, I used straight SS#4 with the full lineup at about 50-75% strength on an 8 week autoflowering ruderalis hybrid and absolutely hated that grow. Maybe if I'd used an organic potting soil and gone full-strength I would have felt differently, but it just seemed like none of the products had any real effect on anything throughout the 10 weeks the plant was alive. Got about the same yields you did, very smooth and floral, but a waste of time considering I can get three times that in Super Soil with teas for 1/2 the price.

I usually run my nutes on the lighter side, but I wouldn't suggest going too light with the GO nutes, esp with an autoflower. With such a short lifespan they really have to hustle to get there in the time they have.

Another report:

#1 was detectably fruity on the inhale; smooth and no harshness on the throat. Very nice aroma, has a berry-fruit-light citrus taste and scent, but with just a hint of floral notes on the top. I get a slight Frankincense flavor with some woody bottom notes. Sweet, but potent. Slightly creeper. Very good smoke, head high, energizing, creative thought inducing. Very tasty, and the sweetness lingers.

#2 more harsh, no fruit nor floral fragrance, no fruit flavor, hits the back of my throat hard. It’s a good smoke, and a mellow, head high, and also is very energizing. I missed the fruit and floral notes in this one. It also has a stronger Frankincense smell and taste to it, stronger than in #1. I detect a bit of pine scent, woody bottom notes, I’m not getting the honey-sweetness of the Frankincense, just the essence of pine topped with a hint of lemon.

#3 Fresh cut florals! Fresh berries and citrus! A bit of bite on the inhale, and on the exhale, bright floral notes come forth in abundance, with much more flavor and scent than in #2, and slightly more than #1. The scent and taste is both woody and floral, with a light, berry-citrus fruit scent and pineapple-mango taste on the top notes. There is also a subtle softening of the bright and woody flavors with a hint of vanilla, which mutes it slightly. #3 has layers of flavor, and it’s easy to detect the florals, the fruit and the woody earthiness. This is my favorite of the three.

I ran this test twice, on different days, and #3 is definitely my favorite. It has layers of flavor and scent that make it a delicious smoke, and a mellow, yet energetic high. However, I think all three samples are very good, and I liked all of them. #3 just had more layers of flavor and scent.

I asked her about her second place, and she liked Thing 1 next best.

Current Totals:
Thing !: 9 points
Thing 3: 7 points

Thing 1: Was good, 2nd best.
Thing 2: Had a smooth taste, got me motivated but the high did not last long. Oh and #2 has my babbling
Thing 3: Choked me with each hit but my body is numb and a nice head high also. The favorite.

Current Totals:
Thing !: 10 points
Thing 3: 9 points

Mister_D

Veteran
Interesting test leo :good:. As others have mentioned general organics isn't meant to be run hydro. Honestly with all the sugar in GO veg/bloom i'm surprised you were able to keep rot from killing that plant. If you were going to run this test again, I recommend you use something like cannastats to calculate the nute profiles for both the GO and flora series, and match them up for the entire grow. The schedule GH gives for the GO line is a worthless piece of shit IMO. Keeping both lines with the same nute ratio throughout the grow would show definitively which is really better in your system. At least provided all other variables are the same. At any rate, i'm curious to see who comes out on top once all the reports are in.

Interesting test leo :good:. As others have mentioned general organics isn't meant to be run hydro....

Yeah, I've been known to bend a few rules here and there. In my opinion the two most important things to know about organic and hydro is that the system has to be able to cope with mud in the nutrient solution, and the particulates in the solution have to have an aerated location to collect and convert while being relatively undisturbed. Passive systems tend to do better for organic than more active hydro systems.

Skimpy report from industry guy:

Thing 1: Strongest (2nd)
Thing 2: Favorite
Think 3: Pretty good

Current Totals:
Thing !: 11 points
Thing 2: 7 points
Thing 3: 9 points

And the tenth and last report:

Viper guy:

Thing 1:Sweet, slightly fruity
Thing 2:Bland in comparison to 1&3
Think 3:Not as sweet as 1, and more floral than fruity. Best flavor. Thing 1 a close second.

Which completes the panel of ten. Will post any others that trickle in, but I'll take these first ten as my sample.

Final Tally:

Thing 1: 12 points
Thing 2: 7 points
Thing 3: 11 points.

Now to go back to the thing jars, take the lids apart, and find out which thing is which.

Here's a question, were all of these top shelf buds or did you include some stuff from the bottoms of the plants? That might affect the results a great deal...

Things revealed.

Just opened the jars, the things are:

Thing 1: General Hydoponic Flora Series.
Thing 2: Traditional Organics
Thing 3: General Organics GO Box

Attachments

• smghthing.JPG
    smghthing.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 38
  • goghsm.JPG
    goghsm.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 39
Here's a question, were all of these top shelf buds or did you include some stuff from the bottoms of the plants? That might affect the results a great deal...

They were pretty small plants, so I didn't separate by where they were on the plant. But the best buds were used for the test, so I imagine predominately from the upper branches.

Jbonez

Veteran
Not sure if anyone cares, but I ran GO for about a year before going back to GH flora, yields were just a little under what I get with the flora so I keep with those over GO, otherwise Id say flavor was the same really, Pre98 always tastes good after a good cure, but GO was pretty easy to dial the plants with, no issues whatsoever with them, and I recommend them to anyone wanting to give em a run, still I average about a 1/2lb more with Flora nutes.. Also was in dirt with GO, Im in coco now and wont be going back!

Jbonez

Veteran
FWIW 5ml per gal. GO grow + 5ml per gal. GO Bloom recreates H3ad's coco recipe. Works great ;)

Shut the fuck up... Are you serious? I was wondering how that would work with coco, is there any benefit over the flora?

Im actually on H3ads shit right now with great results so far, fingers crossed..

Mister_D

Veteran
Shut the fuck up... Are you serious? I was wondering how that would work with coco, is there any benefit over the flora?

Im actually on H3ads shit right now with great results so far, fingers crossed..

Lol ya man i'm serious :biggrin:. IME not much difference between the two as far as yield and finished product. GO was a bit sweeter in taste, probably due to higher brix content. In this case it's really more of a personal preference (organic or chemical) Ultimately both preform the job required pretty much equally well.

I've been using h3ad's ratio for about two years, the shit works.

Jbonez

Veteran
Lol ya man i'm serious :biggrin:. IME not much difference between the two as far as yield and finished product. GO was a bit sweeter in taste, probably due to higher brix content. In this case it's really more of a personal preference (organic or chemical) Ultimately both preform the job required pretty much equally well.

I've been using h3ad's ratio for about two years, the shit works.

really.... this blows my mind.. I was loving how simple GO was, but didnt want to try in coco for fear of my yields suffering.. I think Im gonna try it bro, I trust your insight, and it stands to reason that due to the lack of air to the roots you get in soil that soil will always produce less than coco, regardless of nutes, this I will put my money on, great insight bro!

Mister_D

Veteran
Nutes are nutes, at the end of the day the plant absorbs the same ions no matter if they come from a chem or organic source. Best application times can vary based on availabiltiy of the nute being given (chem is instantly available, while organic can vary from instant to very slow release). Ultimately what is important is to understand availability of the nutes you are using and apply them so the correct ratio of nutes is available to the plant at all times. The subtle differences between one nute or another IMO is caused by the "impurities" in each line. These "impurities" may not acutally be classified as impurities, because some are in fact plant nutrients that's function simply isn't well understood by science. As you may or may not know there are 16 "essential for life" plant nutrients. That is to say the plant will show outward signs of deficiency in the absence of one or more of these nutes. Anything found in nutes outside of these 16 nutes considered an impurity. I personally feel some of these impurties contribute to organic herbs improved quailties over chem grown. I think a big part of the myth that chem produces more than organic is merely based on the fact that most people don't have a good enough understanding of their organic inputs to achieve the same consistant ratios that chem nutes easily provide.

Jbonez

Veteran
Isnt GO chelated? similar to "chem" nutes? This is my reasoning for why it would work the same, Just wondering because I run Caps bennies with flora nutes, but it just seems I would get better cohesion with organic chelated nutes, guess is six in one hand half dozen in the other in this case..

Id say soil in general is the reason plants dont yield as much, aeration can influence transpiration and soil is rife with aeration issues, lest you amend it, still, coco is hands down killing every soil run I ever did.. what are your thoughts misterD? Im fully aware of how nutrients work, but GO isnt your typical organic nutrient, as It really doesnt require microbial like bat shit and blood meal would for example..

Latest posts

Latest posts