What's new

General Hydroponics CocoTek

noob1988

just bought a brick of this

just bought a brick of this

well I just did a search for cocotek and latest thread was updated in 2012. Was wondering about everyones experience with GH cocotek.

Ive got a 11pund brick hydrating now in 10 gallons of ro water with 2.5ml/gal cal mag+. Well let it hydrated and check run off levels. Will probably rinse with another 5 gallons of 300ppm ro water till ppm run off is about the same as input. Then I will mix 20% perlite and put in 2 gallon containers. I will run 1 gallon of lite nute and ro water again threw each pot. Then when I transplant, I will give another gallon of light nutes/cal mag.

I think that should be plenty to properly flush and charge the medium.

That a total of about ~35 gallons to hydrate and flush 11pounds of dried coco. about 15 gallons of hydrated coco. 18 gallons with the perlite.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
well I just did a search for cocotek and latest thread was updated in 2012. Was wondering about everyones experience with GH cocotek.

Ive got a 11pund brick hydrating now in 10 gallons of ro water with 2.5ml/gal cal mag+. Well let it hydrated and check run off levels. Will probably rinse with another 5 gallons of 300ppm ro water till ppm run off is about the same as input. Then I will mix 20% perlite and put in 2 gallon containers. I will run 1 gallon of lite nute and ro water again threw each pot. Then when I transplant, I will give another gallon of light nutes/cal mag.

I think that should be plenty to properly flush and charge the medium.

That a total of about ~35 gallons to hydrate and flush 11pounds of dried coco. about 15 gallons of hydrated coco. 18 gallons with the perlite.

I use cocotek. I don't use perlite but if you are than use the best ratio for air which is 70% coco and 30% perlite. More or less can't beat the 70/30 ratio. I have the test numbers somewhere if you want to see them. Also this is the method you want to use for the transplant: Water/feed the plants before the transplant. Run your water/feed through the new coco. Now you need to get almost ALL that water/feed from the coco. I use a 5gal bucket with holes in the bottom/ put in coco and then nest another bucket on top and put my full weight on it to squeeze liquid out. This will make the top half of the coco at the right moisture level, scoop that out and compress the rest again. Take a handful of coco and squeeze as hard as you can, when no water drips out then that is the correct moisture level you want to surround the plant in the new pot. Then don't water again for 3-4 days. This is the best method to get roots fast to fill the new container. No other method beats it for speed, I've tried every other way. Goodluck.

Snow Crash

Veteran
My experience: Very salty, more fiber with less pith. Much better after the 2nd use. Get about 4-5 reuses out of it before it breaks down too far.