What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GDP question

Wendull C.

Veteran
Isnt kens gdp the gdp clone crossed to champage to get a male in there. Then bx'd. I remember hearing that after his blackfoot indian story.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Gross Domestic Product is unknown. I now know WHO made it. I know how Ken got a hold of it. I have not been told what it actually was. I have been told it will likely never see the light of day again as the one who holds it now lives on a different continent.

MY FBPK line is mothered by Ken Father. I will eventually have that seed line tested by Phylos as every other parent in that line is known and selected directly by Stank Bros.

I'm not 100% sure what to think. Grand Daddy Purp/Urkle/Ken's GDP/God's Gift are all in the exact same grouping in the galaxy. Means, people have been passing the exact same cut under 4 different names. Means, some people have not the SLIGHTEST clue what the cuts are actually supposed to be like. To some people, GDP is a slow growing purple aka Urkle and to others it's a higher yielding God Bud cross, aka God's Gift.

But really, what is the real one? There is ONE plant that sits dead smack in the middle of the purple family clusters that to date has ZERO known relatives or offspring. I just happen to have Bx2 offspring built from this particular mother plant as well, which means I have to try to tie some lineage to this otherwise untouched region of the galaxy.

If the story holds, it should tie back into the GDP/Urkle/God's Gift cluster. It will show if Gross was selfed or cross pollinated to created Grand Daddy Purple. I honestly only have interest in knowing the parents of Gross. However, pursuit of this will by default expose the truths of an old legendary Mendocino purple. I've been told I have a vendetta against Ken. However, I've never met the man and really have no bone to pick. I'm just a cannabis historian of sorts and the new analytical genetic data the industry is collecting is proving some stories true (chem line) and poking holes in other stories. (GDP)

dank.Frank

i believe it was my buddy responsible for GDP/Urkle, etc.
He brought the seeds back from Afghanistan to Washington, bred it, and the seeds made their way to NorCal and Monsanto. He was Ranger

I had seeds from him and wow, there were a lot of pheno/Geno-types.
Reds, blacks, purples, and greens.
i lost em all in the fire a month ago, with everything else

The time frame I have is late90s to 2001

Im curious what you've heard
Im down to continue this in PM if u cant talk openly about it.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well where did Ken get ahold of it? Indians or other? It was among my favorites when I was smoking hybrids. Still have some of the old Ken GDP seeds from years back, along with many f2's I made. I did a short review of it here on Icmag and Ken's sidekick gave me a few packs of seeds for my effort.

troutman

Seed Whore
I have a few Purple Punch "X" plants going now and they have GDP a few times in their pedigree. :)

Purple Punch = Grand Daddy Purps x Larry OG

Grand Caper (Granddaddy x Purple Caper)

This is as good as Granddaddy gets. This is a huge producer of sweet purple grape flowers!
This is stronger and bigger yielding than the original. We took an amazing Grand Caper
(Granddaddy x Purple Caper) male and crossed it with the best local Bay Area Granddaddy
clone! These grow fast and yield big! Great commercial producer indoors or out. This is a
perfect beginner plant, and a great performer in the garden. These finish in 8 weeks, and
are half purple and green. If you let her go 9 weeks the flowers will become completely
purple! 1.75 lbs. per 1000w indoors. Best of 50 back-crossed to the best 50 as usual!

Purple Caper = (GDP x Sour D) x (White Widow x Unknown Pure Indica)

Purple Punch "X" = (Purple Punch x Grand Caper)

or

Purple Punch "X" = (GDP x Larry OG) x (GDP x (GDP x Sour D) x (White Widow x Unknown Pure Indica))

I'm hoping I get some nice Grape phenos. :woohoo:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i believe it was my buddy responsible for GDP/Urkle, etc.
He brought the seeds back from Afghanistan to Washington, bred it, and the seeds made their way to NorCal and Monsanto. He was Ranger/SFOD

I had seeds from him and wow, there were a lot of pheno/Geno-types.
Reds, blacks, purples, and greens.
i lost em all in the fire a month ago, with everything else

The time frame I have is late90s to 2001

Im curious what you've heard
Im down to continue this in PM if u cant talk openly about it.

I don't know that there is any direct relation, genetically, between what I was given as "GDP" and what Ken passed around.

Gross Domestic Product - was different than what I had always known and recognized as Gran Daddy Purps.

Gross - was more Bubba like in the flowers - but grew with much more vigor, much different plant frame. Got big, tall, stretched in flower. The frame would lead you to think she would fill in, but instead, she made very golf ball like nuggets. It was a classic indica/kush type flower.

View album 15209224
The plant I mentioned prior, to having no direct known origin relatives is Purple Indica. Nspecta still has that plant. I know that Archive has recently done work with it as well and has a keeper that is in the 13% THC range that he says he still enjoys smoking because of the old school purple flavor.

Purple Indica - is one of the parents, to whatever Ken called GDP. Is a precursor of Purple Urkle. It's a known rare genotype with much less

Gross - had this old school purple flavor - 10x more than Ken's GDP, which in my opinion - drifts more towards the grape candy side of purple, vs the classic cannabis purp, which really is unique.

If I had to take a WILD guess...

Purple Indica x Lavendar - existed at some point - and selections were made from that in different directions. I would think, this is what actually made Kens' cut GDP.

I DO NOT think there was ever a proper cut of Urkle entered into the Phylos Galaxy. I have suspicion the Urkle entries are mislabeled cuts of GDP. I also think there is a GDP entered, that is Urkle.

I have no foundation for that opinion.

It is almost 100% certain though, Purple Indica, is the base origin for Urkle and GDP.

Mendocino Purple - is unrelated entirely to that cluster of plants. Mendo Purps would also seem to be a parent plant for Mother Of Berries. Which is interesting and you'd never assume such.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@30years~ I woulda thought you, of all folks, woulda known where Urkle comes from...it's been in SoHum since at least the late 80's according to the cats closest to the source...reputed to be a Purple Pakistani/Skunk #1 hybrid. I didn't think the Bay had Urkle as early as '98...I don't think Ken even had his "GrandDaddy" that early...which he claims to have gotten out of Salmon Creek.

@TheRealHash~ Purple Indica, Purple Urkle, & Mendo Purple are all very different plants...PI & PU could share a very distant relationship but I see zero relation to PI with the MP. Purple Indica & Purple Urkle look like they could be Pakistani dom phenotypes whereas Mendo Purple looks more like an Afghani type.

And what's up with all the misinformation in this thread comparing &/or claiming Mendo Purple & Purple Urkle relations? Have any of these people ever even grown MP & PU? I feel bad for people just looking for legit information and having to wade through all the bull$#!t garbage just to get a tidbit of facts here and there...unfortunately, by the time you make it through all the nonsense who know's what really is the truth if you do find it. :lightning:

This right here - is accurate. Genotype research has proven this line of think to be fact now - and it just happens to affirm what I pieced together in my own research and tracking plants to their origins as far as I have been able.

dank.Frank

Reactions: ojd

mexweed

Veteran
I've had Archive's grimace og, very tangy juicy candy grape like a grape laffy taffy, the burkle I've had wasn't like that at all it was much more floral and a bit spicy actually kind of like lavender

there is controversy on the burkle too obviously it was named after urkle but some say it's gdp in it

imo the purple/grape in grimace is definitely something different than the purple/grape in burkle, it was too much of a difference specifically in the purple aspects to consider it being caused by the faceoff and bubba

RyanR

I don't know that there is any direct relation, genetically, between what I was given as "GDP" and what Ken passed around.

Gross Domestic Product - was different than what I had always known and recognized as Gran Daddy Purps.

Gross - was more Bubba like in the flowers - but grew with much more vigor, much different plant frame. Got big, tall, stretched in flower. The frame would lead you to think she would fill in, but instead, she made very golf ball like nuggets. It was a classic indica/kush type flower.

View album 15209224
The plant I mentioned prior, to having no direct known origin relatives is Purple Indica. Nspecta still has that plant. I know that Archive has recently done work with it as well and has a keeper that is in the 13% THC range that he says he still enjoys smoking because of the old school purple flavor.

Purple Indica - is one of the parents, to whatever Ken called GDP. Is a precursor of Purple Urkle. It's a known rare genotype with much less

Gross - had this old school purple flavor - 10x more than Ken's GDP, which in my opinion - drifts more towards the grape candy side of purple, vs the classic cannabis purp, which really is unique.

If I had to take a WILD guess...

Purple Indica x Lavendar - existed at some point - and selections were made from that in different directions. I would think, this is what actually made Kens' cut GDP.

I DO NOT think there was ever a proper cut of Urkle entered into the Phylos Galaxy. I have suspicion the Urkle entries are mislabeled cuts of GDP. I also think there is a GDP entered, that is Urkle.

I have no foundation for that opinion.

It is almost 100% certain though, Purple Indica, is the base origin for Urkle and GDP.

Mendocino Purple - is unrelated entirely to that cluster of plants. Mendo Purps would also seem to be a parent plant for Mother Of Berries. Which is interesting and you'd never assume such.

dank.Frank
What do you think mob is mendo purp x blueberry?

Icemud

I have a GDP that I have been keeping alive now for about 7 or 8 years... I searched everywhere back then to find a cut of real GDP and finally found one during prop 215 days at a dispensary in long beach.... I tried multiple other "so called GDP" cuts but none had the "purps" terps like this one...

Honestly if it wasn't for my love of the "purps" terps I would have culled this plant a long time ago... I find it extremely temperamental, it hats overwatering, it hates underwatering, it hates being topped, it hates too much nutrients, it hates too little nutrients... Honestly its rare if I get a good run with it because its always 1/4 the size of other strains I grow...... but it has those purp terps I love and the high is rather strong.

I always thought Ken's story was not correct as I think he says that he created it around 2003 and I distinctly remember a buddy of mine flying back from Arizona with GDP in 2001 so I knew Ken's story had some holes in it... Glad to hear more about the background of some of my favorite terps. I really hope the "purps" come back on the scene!

Here is a grow I did with the GDP cut in 2017, just for flower, no seeds..
20170419_213614.jpg

Lately I have been whoring it out by hitting it with all kinds of pollen, in the photo below its my GDP preggo with Sour Grapes seeds.
Icemud_GDP_strain_Sour Grapes_seed_project (1).jpg

In this photo below... this is a cross of GDP x Deep Chunk that I made... The purps terps definitely came out very very strong in this cross but it also has a very deep manderin orange citrus on the undertone. Its absolutely delicious so I took the plant below and hit a clone of it with DJ Short Blueberry F4 just to see what crazy terps it makes... Haven't popped that progeny yet.
20210203_171226.jpg

Last edited:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Phylos tied the two together. Their model had it's limitations, but genomics - tell a tale, even if not fully complete, based on their parameters.

It's the best insight we had...

And, in all fairness. I did NOT say, that MOB was a x b - I only said, it seems, Mendo Purps was a parent / precursor OF...

I find blueberry terps outside of known "blueberry" lines. If you have read DJ's book, he says it was never about terps, but about the blue hue the plants took, that lead him to call it blueberry. It was people - and their expectations, of the name sake, that...resulted in the line becoming identified by a terp profile.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here is controversy on the burkle too
Well, that's interesting. DustyBowls...ie TrinityGold, ie BackyardFarmer, ie South Fork Seeds...

Is who spread that cut...maybe even was the one who named it and selected it. Please, don't hold me to my life on this statement. As I get older, I understand...how all the knowledge becomes blurred and confusing and the more room you make for more stories and more exception, the more you undermine what you think or want to assert as truly what happened.

And as people come and go...so does their information and their facts.

BUT....if I remember correctly, Nspecta says, the Burkle, has a dumb name. BECAUSE...it's not an Urkle cross. I was actually a Mendo Purps x Bubba cross....that produced that plant...

Which...might be exactly why it was so stand out. Because, Mendo Purps represents a disconnected gene set from what was more commonly integrated into mass available gene pools.

dank.Frank

Latest posts

Latest posts