What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gas Lantern Routine - Will this alternative idea work? LESS RISK??

goofy81

Hi.
I have a question regarding the gas lantern routine light schedule. If any of you don't know it involves vegging with the following light cycle.

12 ON
5.5 OFF
1 ON
5.5 OFF

OK! Sounds a bit risky? I have an idea!

What if! for example you were growing with 6 x 600 W bulbs.
Is it possible to ..

12 Hours - 6 X 600w ON
5.5 Hours - 1 x 600wON (so only one left on)
1 Hour - 6 X 600w ON (or just the one)
5.5 Hours - 1 x 600W ON ( or ALL off)

Would this technique work? because in essence, there is no total darkness, you are still saving power, and because one light is can be potentially on 24/4, they should definitely not flower.

The power usage in KWh in this scenario per 28 days.

18/4 = 1814kwh

100% GLR = 1226kwh

This method with 1 light always on = 1612.8kwh

I know savings might seem small, but what if you could use a 400W to stay on instead.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you requipment and bulbs wont last as long....yeehaw..theres really no shortcuts ..the amount of light plants receive is how they do photosynthesis= growth...I have heard of people doing similar tho and they say it worked for them...I would bet your plants get a bit leggy with more distance between nodes/branches...let us know how it goes for ya...

mack 10

Veteran
Yeah it will work fine, plus say you $ in elec.

Slightly slower veg, but pretty negligible.
The trick is to never give too much light at the start.
( if you change the light period at ant time, give 24 hours dark and the plant will reset with no probs)

There is another thread somewhere.

Granger2

Veteran
It's called 12/1 Lighting.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=219764
Lots of info and skepticism. Daylength manipulation is a mainstay, totally routine, in the commercial Nursery Business.

I use it, but some strains bloom pretty heavily under 12/1 lighting, so I use 12/2, then a week or 2 before going to 12/12, I go to 12/1. I do not carry this on into bloom. Lower production. I maintain my Mothers at 12/2. I use low wattage cfl's for the 2 hour lighting in the middle of the night. I use 2 13w per 3x3, more than is necessary.

I'm not quite sure what you're doing or trying to accomplish, goofy, but what I linked to and described has worked well for years in my room. Good luck. -granger

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
A much simpler method is daylight extender bulbs. These are 14 watt LED floodlights that put out 660 nm red light.
When the main bulbs go off after twelve hours these floodlights, one per plant five feet away, will keep the plant in daylight mode for as long as they are on.
14 watts per each plant is pretty cheap compared to 6 x 600 watts and they will not disrupt sensitive plants with the midnight burst.

Night extenders at 730 nm are also available for the bud room.
I use Philips LED Flowering Lamp, but other brands have hit the market and have similar specs and pricing.