What's new

Game of Thrones...

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I havent seen horses smashing into eachother in a calvary charge like that. Braveheart was Disney movie compared to that. What a fucking bloodbath. It's Hollywood movie budgets every episode, a phenomenon...

right?! that last episode was really great, mountains of bodies...

Cannavore

Veteran
Pretty disappointed with these last two seasons. The show runners win an Emmy and now it's like theyve gotten lazy.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I really enjoyed reading all 5 of the Game of Thrones books while I was detained, they helped me to escape the deplorable situation I was in and I could switch off my mind from the reality of living caged in that fetid dump of a jail and totally immerse myself in the GOT world of Mr Martins wonderful creations within those books thru all 5000+ pages of the 5 books.

It helped me kill a month of that time, cutting myself mentally off from the madness that surrounded me, laying on my lower bunk, with my curtain drawn eagerly reading about what was going down within that intricate fantasy world of wonderfully valiant and scurrilous characters.
My favourite characters were Lord Tyrion and Denerys Targarion......

Does anyone know when the 6th book is out?, because I am keen to read it.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BOB was a great episode. Its interesting to read into the making of it and how they have to compromise due to weather, time to reset shots etc... Impressive how a TV production company can pull something that big off, the logistics of it alone are formidable

Cadfael

Gypsy,

Rumor has it that the next book will be out by Xmas.

The key word to the above statement is RUMOR.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Gypsy,

Rumor has it that the next book will be out by Xmas.

The key word to the above statement is RUMOR.

Yep, the rumor. I had so hoped it would make it out before this sixth season. For some time it was rumored that it would be...

Glad to hear you had somewhere to escape to, Gypsy. Even if only in mind. Nothing like a good book to help the outside world fall away.

And yeah, it was a great episode. I watched it twice, back-to-back.

Meraxes

Veteran
Tyrion's jail cell in the Vale was a trip...slanted floors going down, to where he'd roll off the side plummeting to his death if he fell asleep...that would mess with my head. GRRM I kind of stopped expecting him to make deadlines. There's no author worse at that. He was talking with Stephen King about it, and he asked Stephen "How the hell do you write books that fast? Don't you ever get constipated?". Lol we forgive him, he's genius...:biggrin:

I really enjoyed reading all 5 of the Game of Thrones books while I was detained, they helped me to escape the deplorable situation I was in and I could switch off my mind from the reality of living caged in that fetid dump of a jail and totally immerse myself in the GOT world of Mr Martins wonderful creations within those books thru all 5000+ pages of the 5 books.

It helped me kill a month of that time, cutting myself mentally off from the madness that surrounded me, laying on my lower bunk, with my curtain drawn eagerly reading about what was going down within that intricate fantasy world of wonderfully valiant and scurrilous characters

Fair play though even readin the sun/ daily star can seem enjoyable whilst doin a stretch eh? GN

Tyrion's jail cell in the Vale was a trip...slanted floors going down, to where he'd roll off the side plummeting to his death if he fell asleep...that would mess with my head. GRRM I kind of stopped expecting him to make deadlines. There's no author worse at that. He was talking with Stephen King about it, and he asked Stephen "How the hell do you write books that fast? Don't you ever get constipated?". Lol we forgive him, he's genius...:biggrin:

I think SK has admitted himself to using copious amounts of coke

Hows arya gonna kill cersei ? And cant wait fer the hound to smash his big bro and only the 7 know what ser gregor did to that fuckin nun.......

Meraxes

Veteran
Who loves the actor that plays or played Walder Frey? I want him in every historical piece now... he's brilliant. or whatever in fact, even Meet the Parents 4 lol no..

Green Squall

I watched Season 1 Episode 1 last night and it didn't really draw me in. I'm still going to give it a chance with a few more episodes. At what point did you all get hooked?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I found that reading the first 6 books while incarcerated really helped liven up my head space, for about one month. Sometimes it helps to live pure fantasy via a good book, especially when you have so much time on your hands, and living in some other world in your own mind, is far preferable than living where you are at.....all you have to do is read.

Usually I would go for historical novels, or even historically based fiction. Game of Thrones, got me into reading pure fantasy stuff for the first time, and I like it.
I wouldn't say that everyone would, but if you have the time and concentration span to really absorb yourself in to these books, and live that imaginary day and age, word by word, it is quite enthralling.

Green Squall

I found that reading the first 6 books while incarcerated really helped liven up my head space, for about one month. Sometimes it helps to live pure fantasy via a good book, especially when you have so much time on your hands, and living in some other world in your own mind, is far preferable than living where you are at.....all you have to do is read.

Usually I would go for historical novels, or even historically based fiction. Game of Thrones, got me into reading pure fantasy stuff for the first time, and I like it.
I wouldn't say that everyone would, but if you have the time and concentration span to really absorb yourself in to these books, and live that imaginary day and age, word by word, it is quite enthralling.

If you like historical fiction, I think you would enjoy the 20 book Aubrey-Maturin series. My favorite books of all time...."It's set during the Napoleonic Wars and centering on the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey and his ships surgeon Stephen Maturin, a physician, natural philosopher and intelligence agent".

Perhaps you've seen the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, which was based on the books?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
When it's all over and on Netflix I will binge watch it...yeehaw... series never go well for me I miss some and forget which ones I watched ect and some dumbass always ruins it telling me what happened too

Green Squall

When it's all over and on Netflix I will binge watch it...yeehaw... series never go well for me I miss some and forget which ones I watched ect and some dumbass always ruins it telling me what happened too

Same here, prefer binge watching. I heard its ending next season so close enough.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
If you like historical fiction, I think you would enjoy the 20 book Aubrey-Maturin series. My favorite books of all time...."It's set during the Napoleonic Wars and centering on the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey and his ships surgeon Stephen Maturin, a physician, natural philosopher and intelligence agent".

Perhaps you've seen the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, which was based on the books?

Yes, I did see that Master and Commander film with Russel Crowe, and enjoyed it, so perhaps I should look into this Aubreu-Muturin series?

Another good bunch of historically based fiction books from the Victorian era are the ones with 'Flashman' in them by George MacDonald-Fraser. I just adore that writing style, and use of the English language.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...j0i131k1j0i46i67k1j46i67k1j0i10k1.322wSdFj8Aw

Green Squall

I almost didn't continue with the series because the first book was a bit tedious in describing all of the nautical terms, but after reading book 2, I was hooked. Dare I say the series is a masterpiece?

I've also seen the movie a few times. Loved it. Peter Weir is a great director.

Latest posts

Latest posts