Got it up and it sits TIGHT
got a good little storm today bout an hour after it went up
I did adjust the side braces....

I'm moving the thread
come with meGreenhouse Greenhorn

:thank you:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
For heat depending on how much room you have. 55 gal or 30 gal barrels painted black/dark color against wall on south. or even in the middle, but better on the south wall to space the plants back from the 'cold' wall. Some use the south row as a 'work bench', serving two purposes.

If you find some 'larger' diameter ABS pipe, it's already black. You can run it along the low sides too.

All this filled with liquid. If it gets to freezing there you need to make it freeze proof. Concentrate 'windshield washer solution' is a good inexpensive way to go. One barrel does a bunch of gallons. I don't remember the ratio, 10 to 1 comes to mind.

Just 'old school' passive solar. And yes, double plastic with 'dead' air space is most helpful. You do need to figure a way to stop the air from circulating up and down in the walls as much as possible though. Dead air doesn't move, moving air strips the heat from the surfaces and bleeds it out. Or in, as the case may be.

Insulating the perimeter a couple of feet into the ground will also help tremendously. Ridgid foam board is good as it's closed cell, and doesn't soak up water. If you were to run into a bunch of 12" or greater diameter pipe? Capped and filled with liquid, used as a vertical wall in the middle, makes for a warm south room when sealed off for the winter.

Insulating the floor, is a good thing If your temps get way cold, as well.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
If you generate funding. For future replacing the outside skin with corrugated clear panels, will make your GH last Way longer. Expensive though. Available at your local DIY store.

By the way 100' feet May be too long. Depending on your summer temps, you may not be able to cool it enough in that long of a configuration. 'Real' GHs tend to not be that long and they have the whole end as a 'swamp cooler'. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Latest posts