What's new

G D P

HIGHRIDER

So how come i have not seen anything on here about the Grand Daddy Purps. Is this only a midwest strain? Because i found a couple of seed in my bag last November. And they bolth came up and are really beautiful plants. If anyone has any knowledge about this strain please speak up.

HIGHRIDER

So a couple of people have looked at the thread, but i guess no one has heard of it. Will post pics soon.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Midwest strain? Been smoking it in Cali for over 10 years at least. Actually cant get away from it out here. Every club and disp. has gdp all day. Its a cross of Urkle and a Pheno of big bud. Goes real purp after 75 days, low yeilder, great grapey incsense smoke and never seeds. Check my old gallery and Subshots for pics of gdp.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
i have a gdp clone and I don't think the weight is good at all, especially for something crossed with big bud if that is the case.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
i believe your information is wrong. gdp does not take 75 and yields very well. pics of it are in my gallery as well, 50 lights worth. a 75 day purple strain that does not yield well sounds like purple erkle or purple kush.
also the gdp/og cross is in my gallery in the vertical section, that strain is a fukin fat pig, grows wider then taller and yields insane, dont think the good yielding part came from the og side.....

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
That is the issue with getting clones versus verified seeds from trusted breeders, you just never know what you will end up with. I know I have the gdp because I am smoking some from another person and they are both dead on with all the gdp I have smoked. My yield issue might be how I was growing it, going to do a larger run of them and see how they do.

Going to do half super lemon haze and half grand daddy purple and see which ends up winning in the end. GDP is a great strain, I think it is everywhere now just like how deep chunk is for crosses right now.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
GDP is another one of the cali strains that will probably be a mystery to the end. i have been researching it for at least a couple years and here is a summary of some of what i believe:
there are two cuts known as gdp: kens and royal. and of course there is the story that gdp(both of em) urkle and a few others are all phenos of one strain. i dont know. this i do know-the cut i have does not, in any freakin way, have big bud in its genetic pool! i cant get her to yield for shit. i really dont like to get into the 'this ones better then that one' game, but from what i have seen-royal is better then kens. this OPINION is based on samples i have smoked of kens gdp bought from med dispensaries on diff occasions. never bought the royal gdp at a disp, cuz ive never found it. the samples of kens were from diff disp, and all very similiar to the cut i have. the purple kush was fairly similiar, but the cut that caligreen has(sr71 purple kush) was not similiar at all, and was much better then any of the kens gdp i smoked, but then again, cali is an incredible gardener. one bro i know, prefers cali's sr71 purple kush to my cut of gdp, but he has been growin this gdp for a couple years, and like me, is really burnt out on it.
---anyways, im kinda rambling now. i hope my opinion helps sort out a few things.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Sub - Got both the GDP and SR-71 and its a hard choice for anyone to have to make! So I keep both! My GDP doesnt yield worth shit but the herb it offers is sublime and deeper than the PK cut IMHO. Peace!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya man, i think if i had to choose, i would go with GDP also, but it was SOOOOOO nice to try cali's sr71! ya know? a lil something different. haha. and he rocked that shit! Imjust kinda burnt on purple anything for awhile. makin beans with it, spreadin it thru the sf auction, but i wont be smokin her for a bit!

G

GR8shoeBaDizzle

I love the GDP. I'm smoking on some 4 month cured shit right now....I have the ken cut for about 2 years now it is the shit. I've have gotten the sr71 pk its good too I like to run the GDP I would like to run that royal cut subrob was talking about tho. I think it has enuff weight when u let it go 9 1/2 weeks to 10 weeks. At 10 weeks its pretty damn good i think, but it is a Pepsi/Coke type of deal u know either u like it or u dont care for it.... its true out here in cali (especially the Valley) you cant seem to get away from the shit. I for one will always have this in my stable.

HIGHRIDER

Man i am glad that there is alot of people who like this strain.

Can i ask a question, Is it a clone only strain? I just figured i would see how tha smoke turned out. The smoke i got tha seeds from was more like a purple kush than anything. Real hashy tasting. But thanks for tha info and glad to see so many people like this stuff as much as me.

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
I <3 GDP

I <3 GDP

I posted this in another thread and found it relevant. Been working with GDP since '02......

First and fore most...So far what i have come to the realization of is there is about 4 phenos with this great strain. I have grown cuts and seeds from this and find the most sought after is definitely the moderate yielding, darker-dense at the end, indica dominant, pheno. There is also a more yield producing "green" daddy with grapey smell and taste, an almost totally green more sativa dom, and last but not least a balanced indica/sativa blend with little purple mainly on the budlets and inside calyxes.

I find that the green daddy to be almost as good if not better than the more popular darker pheno, and it produces more, but people are all about the "purp". So if you're looking for your self I'd find the green pheno, but if you're looking to vend the GDP is definitely the way to go. Anyways....
IF I CAN SAY ANYTHING AT ALL THAT IS MORE TRUTHFUL I'D BE LYING, BUT PURPLE DON'T MEAN SHIT!
If I had a dime for every time a patient came up to me at the medical counter and asked for "purp" or even better "the darkest purple you have" I'd be a rich rich man. But don't get me wrong here I'm not saying a deep purple isn't good meds, I'm just saying "purple" as a color in marijuana is a fad and trendy.

*****Important info there are 4 ways to make a strain turn purple*******
1.Genetics(which actually counts for all four because it has to be in the plants make up to be able to reach the purple hue)
2.Stress(sickness, bug attack, transplant shock, over-under ferts, ect.)
3.Chemicals(unfortunately there are now chemicals on the market that help "boost" the purple coloration)
4.Temperature(the most common and just a sign of temperature drop, doesn't mean it's any better or healthier, actually probably means the opposite)

Ok now that i got that outta the way...GDP is an elite strain that will purple out even without stress, chemicals, or temperature drop. Although the temp drop of about 10-20 degrees won't hurt this strain too much. I think the reasoning is because it's a northern cali acclimatized plant and the weather there drops quit significantly toward harvest, so in turn the plants inner genetics slowly became accustomed to the environment. I believe this to be true with many true breeding strains, I don't really believe the name game to much and....need to stop cause I'm rambling...damn sativas.

DSC07337.jpg

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07347.jpg

DSC07354.jpg

DSC07361.jpg

DSC07366.jpg

DSC07372.jpg

DSC07384.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww72/unknownprophet/Indoor/DSC07397.jpg[/
IMG]

[IMG]http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww72/unknownprophet/Indoor/DSC07401.jpg

DSC07399.jpg

ʇǝɥdoɹP uʍouʞuU

HIGHRIDER

Up man thanx for all of tha info, you really hit the head on the nail. i dont really care for prup either. i feel kinda the same about the widow or ak family. just a fad,most people hear the name then it is the best.haha. I am someone who looks for pure power. Like mothers finest doesnt yeild well but man is it a hitter. keep posted about all of your growing.

ridgedogs

Up, nice pix. I just got some Grandaddy again. Going to try some crosses. I was thinking of trying Sour Bubble. Also the only thing I've noticed about Purps and Blacks is that they are usually pretty comatose, which I do enjoy when the mood strikes. If you don't mind me asking what kind of yield are you getting with gdp per 1k?