What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Future of Extraction, MIPs?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You misunderstand what they said in your post on this in the other thread. They have not used anything from the urchins they used Anandamide/THC hybrids to look for new compounds that will help research or testing for medicine.

-SamS

Last edited:
G

You can get a supercritical extractor for 20k new. I e-mailed a company in the USA about it once and I still occasionally get a spam from them.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Now has anyone used one yet? Or a freeze dryer for drying water extracted hash?
-Sam

Last edited:

mark6699331

Hey Sam what was your exp. with the THCV? I've always wondered how that differed from THC in effect. Its found in some african strains correct?

thanks
m

G

That's what I don't get. I see those lucky bastards doing bubble runs in full size washing machines. If I had hash like that, I'd buy a supercritical extractor without hesitation.

You can lease them too. That'd be a good way to make sure it was good before investing the full 20k.

gordonliu

to be honest, a supercritical extraction system may not be the ideal method. there are plenty of different industrial scale extraction method (low temp CO2, high pressure hydrocarbon, steam, fractional distillation) and there may be downsides to supercritical CO2 that only a natural products chemist could tell you. I am leaning towards a high pressure hydrocarbon extraction system, but I dont know, Im not a natural products guy.

and yeah skunkman-> you were exactly right about that study. just a structure activity relationship study. had nothing to do with MIPS

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
No one said they had anything to do with MIPs. Maybe you read 'is' where it clearly reads 'can be'.

gordonliu

no, I know. MIPS will not help you with isolating chemicals from a natural source. why? because the whole point of natural product chemistry is finding NEW UNKNOWN compounds, or finding compounds in NEW SOURCES. if you dont know what your looking for, MIPS wont help you. you would need thousands of different MIPS systems to screen one natural source.

with MIPS you need to imprint the polymer, so you must know what you want to isolate. MIPS would be great if you needed to test for some chemical, in very low concentrations, without using a bunch of instruments.

if you wanted to test for very low levels of steroids in an athletes urine, MIPS would help you. If you wanted to test for HIV viral particles in blood serum, you could use MIPS (theoretically). you would of course need samples of both of those things in order to make the imprinted polymer itself.

also, MIPS wont help you do any subsequent chemistry. MIPS will only help you isolate a compound from a mixture.

if you want to do chemistry on molecules by first attaching them to a polymer, there is already a huge field devoted to that, its called solid phase organic synthesis, and is used all the time to make small peptides.

Latest posts

Latest posts