What's new

Funky's Nutrient Test pt 2 - GHE Ripen

funkymonkey

Hiya folks

I've been hearing lots of conflicting things about GHE Ripen, some swear by it, others say it ruins the taste of the bud. So i decided to get a bottle as it's pretty cheap 6.50ukp for a litre. To see for myself just what it does, I decided I'd test it on some Mexican cuttings I have flowering. There are 5 small cuttings, all at 70 days flower, I've selected one and will be feeding it Ripen at ec 2.0 plus a healthy dollop of molasses for the next 10 days then will judge whether to feed it more Ripen or to start flushing. This cutting takes between 90 and 100 days usually.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The one with the red tape round the pot will be fed the Ripen.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
EC 2.0 is pretty high, although they rec some stupid high dose on the bottle. I'd try 1.6 tailor it down every watering till reaching my base water's EC and still use a 3 day water flush.

I was also going to use it this run, but the talk on the uknute thread turned me off of it. Also I have used it quite a bit in the past and don't really remember a taste left behind, cept for one grow, but that may have been down to pushing them a bit to much.

Interested to see what you find out

T

tonto

subscribed, always wanted to see this happen, btw i think some one was using it outdoors this year, any difference?

funkymonkey

I went for EC 2.0 because I figured that was 'full strength' and I wanted to see what Ripen did at full strength. This is my first trial with it and I figured it would be easiest to see it's effects when used at a high dose.

Good point about the Molasses Eddie, I added it because it helps with the resin and flavour a good deal when I've used it on this Mexican before.

This initial trial on the Mexican is just to get a feel for what Ripen can do, I'll be doing further trials with other plants and will modify the dosage and apllication of the Ripen based on what I see from beasting this Mexican with it at high dosage. I'll probably feed the Ripen at full dose for 10 days then half dose for 10 days then water for 5-10 days. The other Mexicans will get my normal bloom nutes for the next 10 days then a mix of bloom nutes at 75% strength and 25% molasses for 10 days, then water for 10 days, harvesting at 100 days.

I've got another Mexican cutting just rooted, I'll flower it shortly, I'm going to use it for a follow-up Ripen trial. I think I'll feed it normally for the first 40 days of 12/12 then start feeding it Ripen and see what happens, might make it finish quite a bit faster than 100 days or might just make it freak out, who knows?

Scrogerman

Veteran
Count me in bro!

Watch out for the terpine change now, They may start to smell funny at such a high dose(3-7 days usually).
This is gonna be interesting. I think what medium is used is an important factor on effect of this stuff, i Know in hydro if i use anything over 1/3rd strength for any longer than a week, the aroma profile(terpines) seems to die. other people in soil/organic etc report slightly differing results & it doesnt seem to affect the terp's as much. As long as a good flush is practiced ive found any nasty cures out, but at the expense of flavor/smell etc. Sulpher i was smelling in my Bud, or so it seemed!(its 3% S i think, Botanicares Ripe has no-where near this amount)

Top Job on the GHR test bro, i hope it makes you happy. Next time im gonna try Botanicares version, 'Ripe'.
Btw, i have actually decided to sack GHR this time, Brand new bottle too. prolly used the stuff 5-10 times over the years with varying effects & results!
On a positive note i definately see more trichs being pushed out at the end with it! & ive never used it with a Sugery Carb addi of any kind, so hopefully that action will counteract any adverse effect. Its this Combo that really interests me.

Best o Luck!

Last edited:

funkymonkey

Well, this test ended up being a waste of time, my fan failed so the temps in my box soared, by the time I noticed, the tops of most of the plants had dried out and got a bit frazzled, all the Mexicans have ruined, dried out tops on their buds, so I removed the dried out bits and will start flushing, then chop em in about 10 days, a wee bit early, but at least the whole plant isn't ruined, just a few grams at the very tops.

I'll start a new Ripen experiment shortly, I got a bunch of cuts rooted and planted out to veg for a week or two, just got to choose one for the experiment and decide how I'll apply the Ripen this time around.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0015.jpg
    IMAG0015.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 19

funkymonkey

It's really annoying when a piece of equipment fails and fucks things up. In the space of 2 hours they went from beautiful to burnt and crispy, gutted.

I have a couple of nice Colombian Gold cuttings rooted, I will probably use those for a second Ripen test.

Glaus

Just found this. Great experiment. Looking forward to the next run, good luck.

:respect: and good karma from here.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
bad luck, FM, shit happens
look foward to seeing your next Ripen trial.
Until you do it here are some buds that i prepared earlier-all grown on coir, all finished with Ripen

154232007-05-07_004.JPG[/img][/url]

cheers
eddieS

S

stylah

I was just getting comfortable FM and your fan goes and gives up the ghost..sorry man at least ya got some flash dried to toke on the upside..best till next time :)

funkymonkey

All the fried buds went into making hash, I dry sifted it then made QWISO out of the sifted material. I mixed the sift with the oil to make a nice lump of jelly hash. 10 days of plain water and the Mexicans are getting the chop, as soon as they are down my second Ripen test will begin.

Nice buds Eddie, what strain?

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
shit-most of the pics didn't come out.

the first 2 are Bubblegum (Serious)-the 3rd Bristol Kush
at least you are going to get a nice lump of hash-could have been worse
here's a few more Ripen buds
B@klo's Madsat

Belladonna

SSHf2

the last 2 are from about a year ago-this is the SSH plant that was given Ripen for 3 (ish) weeks-the re-vegged without a flush.
cheers
eddieS

funkymonkey

All looks good Eddie, do you still have that Bubblegum? Looks rather nice.

I'm just sampling the Bubblejacks, the smaller one is nice enough but nothing special, the one that yielded good and I kept a cutting of is very tasty, it has the sweetness of the Bubblegum and the spiciness of the Jack. Not very dense buds but the smoke is nice, tasty despite being uncured and the high is very nicely balanced with a bit more head than body, a good daytime/early evening smoke, potency is decent, not as strong as the ECSD I also been puffing on but still pretty strong. I just took 5 cuttings of it and when they root I'll use them for some nutrient testing.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
funkymonkey All looks good Eddie, do you still have that Bubblegum? Looks rather nice.

i only did it the once-another mistake as it was fucking wonderful-my friend who has tried all of my weed remarked only the other day that he liked the Bgum the most-on flavour. It wasn't the strongest (but it was strong enough to completely disable a bunch of W.Outlaws in the volcano-lol) but what i liked about it was the euphoria that came with the hit-even when i had become a bit immune to it it would leave me upbeat and optimistic-generally happy.

couple of things about Ripen-someone(think that it was Scroggerman) was giving info about it's formulation-abscisic acid was mentioned. I have not been able to find anything on this-or anything about Ripen's composition apart from the info on the label.
Just wondered where this was comming from?

also-and this is a genuine Q-if Ripen causes hermi's so reliably why is it not used for selfing (or maybe it is but i've never heard of it)

BJack's sound quite promising?

cheers
eddieS

funkymonkey

I suppose Ripen could be used for selfing, but to me, any plant to can be so easily stressed into making male flowers is probably not ideal for selfing.

The Bubblejack has promise, it lacks a bit of density but I need to run it again from cutting to see if I can get it denser with better feeding. I have a few more seeds and intend to start some of them soon, see what else is lurking in there. Interested to see how long the clones of the big keeper pheno take to flower as the mother was taken at 73 days and could have easily gone 80 which is a bit too long for what it is imho.

Shame you lost that Bubblegum. In my experience of Bubblegums, they all taste good and yield good but not all are that potent, so it takes a bit of pheno hunting to find the good ones, but it's worth it as the good ones can be great. I must buy some White Label Double Gum seeds soon and some Female Seeds Bubblegummer.

funkymonkey

I have a Volunteer cutting that is at 35 days and is looking like it will finish at 45-50. I also have four other Volunteers a week behind. Maybe I should give the 35 day one a week of Ripen to see what happens as I have the other four plants to compare to it.