What's new

Funk hunt by Dr.Mantis

Dr.Mantis

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new when it comes to growing cannabis, but I was inspired to get into it more. Number one, I love botany and biochemistry, and there is a beautiful overlap of the two in cannabis species. Number two, I miss this funky weed I had when I was younger. Sure, I never had original rks or chem, but I’m sick of the fruity tooty dispo hype weed. After growing a few plants that claimed to be “skunk” or “gassy” I’m starting to question if breeders even grow their own gear.

Anyway, this sent me down what will probably be a lifelong journey, but I probably love the process more than the results. I’m currently sorting through a mix of beans from various breeders and generous people who have been cultivating the same strains for years.

Right now I’m mid flower but I have:
Two Thousand Oaks F5 ladys
One GH cheese
3 1992 Kentucky red hair skunk from old school chronic
A 90s Mexican skunk
A 70s afghani
2 Maruf Black from Tony Greens seeds

I have clones from everything and will only be keeping the most promising phenos going forward. So far I have pollinated both the Thousand Oaks and I ne of the Marufs with pollen from a particularly rank Thousand Oaks f5 male.

Right now the overall smell coming out of the tent (week 4 or 5 ish) is a strong “stank”, with certainly plants having somewhat skunky odors.

E043F565-1B15-4668-B218-9784CF307F46.jpeg
FADC2F48-6B22-46F9-BB92-502B8EE81EA6.jpeg
A680B090-F7D7-47A0-9ACE-8419E7C3753D.jpeg

I’m growing in a mix of perlite, rice hulls, peat moss, and some worm castings. The food they get is a blend of fermented and ground whole soybean, crab shell meal, and leonardite. They get pHd tap water, and occasionally some soy hydrosylate or potassium polyasparate.

I also am working on plans to induce polyploidy in select clones in an attempt to boost Terp production. But that’s later down the road.

Thanks everyone, and I will keep updating things as I go!

Attachments

• C84593CB-194A-47F4-BDB4-206D8C0B4CAA.jpeg
    C84593CB-194A-47F4-BDB4-206D8C0B4CAA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You have a kick-ass garden friend. Thanks for sharing your work with us. I miss that old-time weed too. Your plants look healthy and robust with your soil mix and amendment selection. Your grow recipe looks like you have everything covered. Again thank you, friend, keep us posted.

Dr.Mantis

Update from my end:

A week or two ago I attempted to pollinate one branch of a Tony’s Maruf black with the pollen from the stinky Thousand Oaks f5 male. Well it looks like it worked! Also the top fan leaves are starting to change, very pretty.
44AC1A0A-32A3-4056-A91D-770B9085A769.jpeg
9EE37C27-56DB-4DB2-A9F8-DC798F3DD9B2.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

I’ve been crossposting this grow in another thread, but this deserves an update.

Things are progressing well. The overall aroma coming from the tent is just plain weird. Anytime I handle plants I have that muted “dog sprayed by a skunk 5 days ago smell” not sharp fresh spray, but that weird earhthy rubbery smell.

7556E423-D0A6-495D-8141-4BF8F0203203.jpeg
TO pheno 1
4EE3AE92-6D66-4143-97B5-55CFAC7D1F2C.jpeg
TO pheno 1
7E03B84B-A5C0-4C17-9649-0FD8E368AD6F.jpeg
GH cheese
12F5FFA8-5ECE-43F0-A12E-3EC748FBB992.jpeg
TO pheno 2 and skunk hunt ladies (some pollinated with select TO F5 male)

Dr.Mantis

Everything is looking great in the tent. They all stink, but something in there smells skunky at certain times of the day, but for the life of me I can’t figure out which one. Probably about 2 weeks out for most of these.
1964BC7B-6AD0-4CB0-ABFC-6E2AE0F51ED4.jpeg
GH cheese
EDD3AEE8-983F-4223-BA2A-D557BFD1BB15.jpeg
TO pheno 2
B5E08E05-E762-44E9-803F-612F5C1D2FE0.jpeg
TO pheno 1
11EDB35C-BD08-4753-B505-F34D3265329B.jpeg
TO pheno 1

I’m really digging the TO F5 so far. Props to omuerta genetics for putting in the work to make an awesome IBL and not some goofy polyhybrid (and selling it for a premium). The two plants are very similar. The sweet smell is mostly gone, and it is dominated by a weird funk that borderlines on “fecal” or “dirty laundry”. If you touch these plants you smell like rubbery funk all day.

Dr.Mantis

Quick update here.

I was out of town last week, and the ladies got hit by a little drought stress. My fault, but they survived with the loss of some popcorn buds and a few fan leaves. I’m officially at week 9 of flower ( I think). Some of the trichromes are still clear, but the plants are senescing pretty fast. If I grow these strains again, I’ll probably push the last feed to week 5. I’ll probably chop in the next few days.

I also grabbed 10 Maruf black x TO f5 seeds to check maturity. They look great! I’ll be sprouting these in my next run. I’m hoping some of the sour characteristics from the Maruf mix with the overall stink of the TO dad, but we will see!
2F1A8E27-EEEC-4B90-822D-3846190E5DD6.jpeg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry to see, but I take my hat off to you for being honest. Damn friend your garden went to hell. Thanks for showing what happens if you leave your plants alone for a week. A person can't not water their plants for a week and get away with it or this happens. That weed may end up tasting like hay in an ole cow barn. Looks like its time to get those other seeds cracking. Thanks for sharing.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Everything is looking great in the tent. They all stink, but something in there smells skunky at certain times of the day, but for the life of me I can’t figure out which one. Probably about 2 weeks out for most of these.
View attachment 18823706
GH cheese
View attachment 18823707
TO pheno 2
View attachment 18823708
TO pheno 1
View attachment 18823709
TO pheno 1

I’m really digging the TO F5 so far. Props to omuerta genetics for putting in the work to make an awesome IBL and not some goofy polyhybrid (and selling it for a premium). The two plants are very similar. The sweet smell is mostly gone, and it is dominated by a weird funk that borderlines on “fecal” or “dirty laundry”. If you touch these plants you smell like rubbery funk all day.
In this photo, it looks like you may have the start of a micro lockout due to an imbalance of macrominerals.
The macro minerals are calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, chloride, and sulfur.

What kind of water and fertilizers are you using? These plants are suffering from high hydroxyl content blocking receptor sites.

Dr.Mantis

Sorry to see, but I take my hat off to you for being honest. Damn friend your garden went to hell. Thanks for showing what happens if you leave your plants alone for a week. A person can't not water their plants for a week and get away with it or this happens. That weed may end up tasting like hay in an ole cow barn. Looks like its time to get those other seeds cracking. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Creeper! There are ups and downs with everything. In the long run I’m happy though, I made my crosses/got seeds and took clones of all the plants I wanted to run fully. Once these ladies are done I’ll move the clones in from the other tent and give them the attention they deserve!

Dr.Mantis

In this photo, it looks like you may have the start of a micro lockout due to an imbalance of macrominerals.
The macro minerals are calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium, chloride, and sulfur.

What kind of water and fertilizers are you using? These plants are suffering from high hydroxyl content blocking receptor sites.
I was actually going for the nutrient deprivation, but I timed it too early. I like my plants to run out of nutrients when they are in late flower. This helps push the plants towards senescence. The trick is timing. I ended up a week or two earlier than I wanted. Oh well, it’s a good learning experience for me!

pH is between 5.7-6.4 for the water (RO), and Ferts were mostly fermented seed meals, and a little leonardite.

Dr.Mantis

Well did a little trimming today, and remembered how much I hate trimming. The plants have been up for 14 days or so.

Here is a badly trimmed branch from one of the TO ladies. Can’t really see it in the photo, but there is some nice purple in there. The aroma is really nice, stinky weed, sourish, and some rubber. Can’t wait to see how it develops during the cure.
82C42DAD-3291-4937-A9C3-6D01EB76FDF0.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Alright, so I’ve got everything trimmed up and in jars. A lot of popcorn buds destined for hash.

It’s probably too early to make final judgments, but here is my evaluation so far:

1. Thousand Oaks smaller female. Beautiful purple and smaller buds. Smell is sort strong “classic weed”. Kind of earthy rubbery. Very frosty
2. Thousand Oaks larger female. Less purple, but still some really nice colors. Buds are pretty dense. Smell is quite loud, stank up the house while trimming. A strong sort of sulfury rubber smell, I love it.
3. Greenhouse cheese - honestly surprising. With all the hate GH seeds gets, I thought this would be crap, but boy am I wrong. Very nice buds, all green. More leafy than the Thousand Oaks, but still pretty easy to trim. The smell to me is blueberry forward with a strong funk behind it. I normally don’t like fruity stuff, but the funk tail has me interested.

Next up:

Larger clones of some of the various afghans and red hair skunks I had in the last grow. And some super silver haze Catpiss bx4 ladies. A very interesting not about the Catpiss ladies, they have an almost identical stem rub to that rank Thousand Oaks male I had earlier. I couldn’t really describe the smell, maybe it’s what people call “Catpiss”? Either way, I’m gunna hit some of the ladies with the TO pollen.

EDIT: for whatever reason, phots weren’t uploading. Here is the current flower going on.
DCADF873-3CB2-410E-99BB-9F7E1D8BE2A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

Question for everyone,

I’m re flowering some clones of the Maruf, to give them a better chance to express themselves.

Since the containers they are in are too small, I switched to a liquid nutrient. I’m not a liquid nutrient guy, but I think I’m seeing some signs of too much N with the curling leaf tips. Can anyone chime in?

Nvm photos aren’t loading. Will try again later.
E7B7B610-F7DA-4BF0-91ED-44DA72A584D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

Well I finished trimming this run about a week or two ago, and had a fair amount of popcorn nugs. Given that the nugs were very frosty and fragrant I wanted to try making some hash.

Here is the result from the trim. Probably about 4 or so ounces of trim. Not as green as the photos look, more blonde to yellowish. One leafy pile, and one cleaner pile. The cleaner stuff was pressed into a block, and is drying out a bit ( seems very sticky). They smell amazing, like skunky rubbery cannabis.
I’m not familiar with hash or extracts, but I’m excited to sample these.

439A77FF-7FEB-4AB0-89C3-2EEE6C00E3E2.jpeg
6FB68B41-0A64-4CF6-9003-DA10C480051C.jpeg F677582C-1E82-4C7E-901C-ABD96BE90D4A.jpeg