What's new

Fungus Nats

B00st3d

I got GoGnats concentrate and the GoGnats prill. I used 2.5 ml per gallon of water on 2 males that Im gonna chop anyways. Just testin it out before I treat my females with it. Can I add nutes in with the treatment like I usually feed? Or should I be treatin with just the GoGnats in the water? Stuff stinks btw

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I use pro-mix, noticed these things last few grows. There's beneficial fungi an the mix now. Connection?

stretchpup

sense, you're spot on. Where I get mine and what treatment I've always used in the past. (Don't be so quick to judge people, sheesh, BGH is actually a decent site, I think I about bought my entire room there... weekend specials babay)

Can you guys list the active ingredient in GoGnats? (Is it BTi?)

If it's BTi you can add it with your feeds.

Hold Your Fire, no connection. It has more to do with where those bales/bags of promix were stored, shipped cross country, and what they were exposed to, etc.

I didn't have the proper NEEM for a drench (The real oil that separates and needs warm water to mix again) I had some new fancy pre-mixed foliar only shit.

So I was mixing up a high dosage of Gnatrol instead, highest on the bottle, 8 tsp, and I even spilled a little extra in on accident.

Sure as shit, *knocks on wood*, it's been a few days so far and not a spot of any gnat, anywhere. So maybe in the end I wasn't using enough for this particular outbreak, the super coco swarm.

I won't ever buy a loose bag of coco again. DRY BRICKS.

After a fresh pinch and no more bugs:

Last edited:

sense

thank you stretchpup, nice way to treat someone only trying to give advice. what do I know, I have only been growing for 17 years.

B00st3d

I didnt say you didnt know anything. Just sayin I dont trust what people with no posts have to say about mail order supplies, simple as that. I dont trust ordering online, thats a great way to get busted but lets stay on topic. And btw Im no newbie either, beein doin this since 1998 myself but Im still learning all the time. I noticed the 2 buckets I treated yesterday had gnats still but they were movin very slow. When I poked at them , they didnt fly away. They appear to be dying or so I hope. So I went ahead and treated the 16 females today. Im more worried about my clones and 2 week old seedlings at this point since they are alot more vulnerable right now. The plants look great tho, no sign of bad effects from the GoGnats. So I'll treat again if I still see gnats in about a week.

M

mexilandrace

15-20 gnats isn't gonna do a whole heck of a lot of damage.

Honestly I have some gnats pretty much all the time, I never really noticed them doing too much harm.

I do let my medium dry out almost completely before I water, maybe that's what keeps them in check.

B00st3d

still fightin them gnats and they are winning. I have a layer of perlite plus yellow strips and it helps but theres still planty of gnats and new smaller ones showin up every day. I got neem oil now but im not sure exactly how I should apply it.

whodi

Veteran
heard you could mix red wine and liquid dish soap in a bowl and set it in your room.. gnats flock to it and end up drowning .. so they say.

Anyone else heard this or something like it?

Rose56

Hi, I have been able to buy gnatrol through Amazon. If you are still at least 3 weeks before harvest you can use one of those no pest strips leave it in your grow room for about 3-4 days and that should take care of it.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
hey guys-
Gnat Off (as mentioned earlier in the thread) actually works-or seemed to for me. It is one of those 'live' remedies- Bacillus -something or other israeliensis-which sounds like yoghurt but is a bacteria that secretes a compound which does the gnats in. It is made by Hydrogarden a UK company but i have seen the same bacillus in many different products widely available etc
good luck
eddieS

Norkali

Hi, I have been able to buy gnatrol through Amazon. If you are still at least 3 weeks before harvest you can use one of those no pest strips leave it in your grow room for about 3-4 days and that should take care of it.

No-Pest strips with only three weeks left to go? I dunno...

Dichlorvos is some pretty nasty stuff to be getting on your buds...

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
Hi Norkali,

I just found some fungus gnats in my hydro res......my hydro man recommended I add Zone (dutchmaster) to the res and make sure to spray with Don't Bug Me. We just completed this today and Ill post the results. Our plants are a bit over 2 weeks in bloom.

B00st3d

Ya I saw the no pest strips tonite at the store where I bought my skeeto dunks. I passed on it tho as it sounded shadey to me. Im gonna try the Einstein neem oil I got along with these dunks and hope for the best, if that doesnt work Im gonna have a friend order me some gnatrol to her house as Im not a fan of ordering grow supplies .

soxy

Nemasys

Biopesticide for fungus gnat control

Active ingredient: insect parasitic nematodes, Steinernema feltiae
27%

Other ingredients: vermiculite and water
73%

Total
100%

Each pack contains a minimum of 50 million infective juvenile nematodes.

One pack will treat approximately 1700 sq. ft. for a light infestation or 1100 sq. ft. for a heavy infestation.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

Nemasys controls the larval stages of fungus gnats (Sciaridae) infesting ornamental plants in nurseries, greenhouses and interiorscapes.

The active ingredient in Nemasys is a naturally occurring, insect parasitic nematode (Steinernema feltiae) that seeks out fungus gnat larvae, enter into their bodies and release symbiotic bacteria that kill the pests. This nematode has not been modified in any way and is supplied in a moist inert carrier. This product is only active against insect pests.

THESE ARE LIVING ORGANISMS THAT REQUIRE SPECIAL HANDLING AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES. FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY TO OBTAIN MAXIMUM ACTIVITY.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE

Light infestations
1 pack Nemasys / 1700 sq.ft.
Re-apply at 14-21 day intervals during the season.

Heavy infestations
1 pack Nemasys / 1100 sq.ft.
Re-apply at Light infestation rate at 14-21 day intervals.

Heavy infestations on highly susceptible crops or newly propagated cuttings
1 pack Nemasys / 550 sq.ft.
Re-apply at Light infestation rate when necessary after 5-6 weeks.

For large capacity sprayers, overhead irrigation and sprinkler systems

1. Remove all fine filters (50 mesh, or finer) from the sprayer, including those in the nozzles.

2. Partly fill the sprayer with cool clean water. Start the agitator and keep running until spraying is completed.

3. Empty the appropriate number of Nemasys packs into a large bucket, add water and mix thoroughly.

4. Rinse bucket contents into sprayer tank through its sieve.

5. Add the required volume of additional water to the sprayer. Use at least 3 gallons of water per 100 sq. ft. of treatment area.

6. Apply Nemasys solution as a soil/media drench, coarse droplet spray or overhead spray.

7. Irrigate immediately to wash nematodes off foliage. Do not irrigate to cause run off from the tops of pots.

For hand held sprayers

1. Make a concentrated stock solution: empty and wash all the contents of one pack into a clean graduated bucket. Top up the water to the 2 gallon mark. Stir until well dispersed.

2. Decide which rate of Nemasys you need to use; Light Infestation, Heavy Infestation or Susceptible Crop. Then stir stock solution and add to the sprayer as indicated below:

Light Infestation - take 1 pint of the stock solution and put into sprayer.

Heavy infestation - take 1.5 pints of the stock solution and put into sprayer.

Susceptible crop - take 3 pints of the stock solution and put into sprayer.

3. Add water to the sprayer to make up to the 3 gallon mark.

4. Apply Nemasys to 100 sq. ft. of moist soil or media.

5. Apply within 1 hour of mixing, agitating all the time to prevent nematode settlement.

6. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 5 and 6 with the remaining stock solution.

7. Irrigate immediately to wash nematodes off the surfaces, but do not irrigate to run off.

APPLICATION CONDITIONS For optimum results:

… Treat entire houses or plant inventory as soon as possible after placement in greenhouse. In propagation areas, treat new plants as they are introduced. Interiorscape plants should be treated prior to placement.

… Soil or media temperature should be between 50 and 90F.

… The soil or media must be moist prior to, during and after application.

… Use entire pack at one time.

… Use nematodes immediately after they have been mixed.

… Use cool water for mixing and keep tank away from heat sources and out of direct sunlight.

… Agitate nematodes constantly during application.

… If product is applied over foliage, irrigate immediately with plain water in order to wash nematodes onto media surface.

PRECAUTIONS

… Do not use product if past expiration date or incorrectly stored.

… Do not use through drip irrigation or misting system.

… Do not store Nemasys solution for future use.

… Do not exceed 300 psi pump pressure.

… Nemasys is compatible with many commonly applied pesticides but some chemicals may reduce the viability and/or efficiency of the product: details available from your distributor.

… If fungus gnats are established it may take two to three weeks before the number of adults is noticeably reduced.

STORAGE AND DISPOSAL

… Upon receipt remove outer packaging.

… Store Nemasys in a refrigerator (40F) but do not freeze

… Ensure good air circulation around each pack.

… Use entire pack contents at one time - do not sub divide packs as each contains a measured dose of nematode.

… Use before expiration date.

I have not seen a gnat since i've used this stuff. My last crop was decimated by these bugggers before I realized what was going on. Google search "Nemasys"

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
Ya I saw the no pest strips tonite at the store where I bought my skeeto dunks. I passed on it tho as it sounded shadey to me. Im gonna try the Einstein neem oil I got along with these dunks and hope for the best, if that doesnt work Im gonna have a friend order me some gnatrol to her house as Im not a fan of ordering grow supplies .

Actually he suggested this first (mosquito dunks) but I didn't want to deal with it because we are leaving town soon and I wanted to use the best I could ......and I trurst my hydro man completely. He said the Zone and Don't Bug Pest spray SHOULd solve the issue. We shall see if he's correct. :D

As I said, I shall post future results.

I have tried many things for these nasty bugs..... My last option will hopefully work, I will post results soon

I tried using Gnatrol with Yellow sticky traps for adults... slowed them down a little but did not stop them....

I then applied a sand top-dressing which also did not stop them, but slowed them down a little. The adults still land and lay eggs in my drainage holes and they live there.

I have now tried beneficial nematodes; top-dressed and also filled in my drainage holes with the vermiculite/nematode mix.... I did this 3 days ago and will post results in a couple more days. I also bought Diatomaceous Earth but decided to use the nematodes first, then the DE as my last resort. (Is it true DE will cause PH swings?)

Good luck with these little bastards.... they are hard to get rid of, I've even moved in the last 3 weeks and they followed me through a Pyrthrum Bomb at my last and current place. I think if a nuke hit my place, all that would be left would be roaches and Gnats!

B00st3d

Sorry to hear bout your gnat troubles guys. Hope you get it worked out. Im gonna roll with this neem oil and skeeto dunk assault for now. I love coco but this is makin me seriously wanna completely switch over to ebb and flow tables with rockwool. I already have a small rockwool E/F setup that Im gonna start up soon here as soon as my mothers bush out and I can take more cuttings. If I fall in love with it then Im gonna totally ditch coco all together, its just not worth the trouble anymore to me.

Latest posts

Latest posts