What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Dephect

If your using soil you might wanna try mosquito dunks it might kill them in their larvae stage or honestly I would get that GoGnats stuff, water with it because it kills more then just gnats, it can be used as a foliar, or you can water your soil with it or use it in your res. Then water with hygrozyme after wards to help digest dead bugs and possibly the roots they have damaged.

Budsworth

If your using soil you might wanna try mosquito dunks it might kill them in their larvae stage or honestly I would get that GoGnats stuff, water with it because it kills more then just gnats, it can be used as a foliar, or you can water your soil with it or use it in your res. Then water with hygrozyme after wards to help digest dead bugs and possibly the roots they have damaged.

Mosquito dunks aren't working. Have been using them for a couple of months now.

I wanted them to work so badly. Maybe once I get ahead of the problem, I'm sure they'll be more effective.

Look like root aphids or fungus gnats or both to you guys?

Budsworth

Hey Budsworth, if you just put it on the top of the soil and didn't mix it in with the soil mix before you planted, than the root aphids still have a safe haven in the root ball. So while it may have killed some that came up to the top, the few smart ones that didn't caught on when they saw their buddies coming back all f'ed up.

Ideally, it needs to be mixed in with the soil so no matter where they go, they are getting F'ed up, there's no safe place to hide.

I've got a couple bins filled outback of Roots Organic. I'll go throw some DE in there tomorrow.

Budsworth

So it's been a few days. Can ANYBODY identify those little pests in my pics and video? So I could at least find something to kill them.

They've had two treatments of Bayer Advanced a week a part...and two treatments of Azamax on the opposite watering days a week a part. Fungus gnats (flying creatures) have all but disappeared.

Little soil buggers are still going strong. It's almost amusing. Right after all four of those treatments, you look at the soil...and you'd think I'd just put down a volleyball net, turned on some party music and gave them all cocaine. They look like they're having a blast. "Hooray...toxins!!!!".

Seriously...these little fuckers are COMPLETELY unphased. I'm hoping it's affecting their young. Unless they ARE the young. Then in that case, I'm pretty sure I have had zero affect on the young.

Totally at a loss with these tiny assholes. Maybe if I shriek and scream. It couldn't do any less than the Bayer or Azamax.

Midnight

Veteran
So it's been a few days. Can ANYBODY identify those little pests in my pics and video? So I could at least find something to kill them.

They've had two treatments of Bayer Advanced a week a part...and two treatments of Azamax on the opposite watering days a week a part. Fungus gnats (flying creatures) have all but disappeared.

Little soil buggers are still going strong. It's almost amusing. Right after all four of those treatments, you look at the soil...and you'd think I'd just put down a volleyball net, turned on some party music and gave them all cocaine. They look like they're having a blast. "Hooray...toxins!!!!".

Seriously...these little fuckers are COMPLETELY unphased. I'm hoping it's affecting their young. Unless they ARE the young. Then in that case, I'm pretty sure I have had zero affect on the young.

Totally at a loss with these tiny assholes. Maybe if I shriek and scream. It couldn't do any less than the Bayer or Azamax.

In the video you showed, those are root aphids. Take the bayer and mix it at a ratio of 1 tablespoon to each gallon of water. Next, water each plant wit at least a gallon of this mix. That should do the trick. If it doesn't, wait a week and then mix the same ratios with the azamax and again, give each plant a gallon drink of the stuff. I had these little fucktards and it took 3 weeks to get rid of them. I did the first week with bayer, the second with azamax and the third with spinosad. Finally killed the little fuckers dead.

turbo14

Veteran

S

Snag a bottle of Safer Insecticidal Soap, use 1/4 strength recommend dose as soil drench. Water to run-off, then water with plain PH adjusted water on the following day or two to cleanse. Repeat every 3-4 days. You will be amazed of how many of those little buggers will end up nuked in your tray/saucer. This has to be used in conjunction with products such as Pyganic and Azamax or they will build up tolerance. Dunks or Gnatrol should be used in conjunction to kill larvae, but will not kill them alone... Also use soaps to spray foliage. We have had success in using these products together, but have to be persistent with the program. Bayer should be used in the Veg room.. period.. The main active ingredient (imidacloprid) stays with the plant for 21-45 days.

I'm guessing your in Colorado too? These little fuckers are everywhere here.

Give it a try.

good luck

turbo:tiphat:

Budsworth

In the video you showed, those are root aphids. Take the bayer and mix it at a ratio of 1 tablespoon to each gallon of water. Next, water each plant wit at least a gallon of this mix. That should do the trick. If it doesn't, wait a week and then mix the same ratios with the azamax and again, give each plant a gallon drink of the stuff. I had these little fucktards and it took 3 weeks to get rid of them. I did the first week with bayer, the second with azamax and the third with spinosad. Finally killed the little fuckers dead.

That is the ratio I gave it.

As I said above, I have already. given them two treatments of the Bayer and two treatments of Azamax.

Mostly I needed confirmation on what they are. Thank you.

I'll have to try the spinosad. Any brand you can suggest?

I also just remembered that the last time I had a flair up...the one thing that did cut them down quite a bit...was a pyrethrum spray on the soil. I've got a can in there. However, my bloom room is on the other side of a curtain and I don't want that crap on my buds (that should be done in the next week).

If they're still around, I'll hit them with that before I turn them to bloom.

Budsworth

Snag a bottle of Safer Insecticidal Soap, use 1/4 strength recommend dose as soil drench. Water to run-off, then water with plain PH adjusted water on the following day or two to cleanse. Repeat every 3-4 days. You will be amazed of how many of those little buggers will end up nuked in your tray/saucer. This has to be used in conjunction with products such as Pyganic and Azamax or they will build up tolerance. Dunks or Gnatrol should be used in conjunction to kill larvae, but will not kill them alone... Also use soaps to spray foliage. We have had success in using these products together, but have to be persistent with the program. Bayer should be used in the Veg room.. period.. The main active ingredient (imidacloprid) stays with the plant for 21-45 days.

I'm guessing your in Colorado too? These little fuckers are everywhere here.

Give it a try.

good luck

Yes. Colorado. So you didn't say what you thought they were. You identify those as root aphids as well?

And, yes, the plants I'm treating are in veg. The ones in bloom got an azamax drench and foliar at the very beginning of flower (as I always do...but that's it). But they also don't appear to have the buggers in their soil.

Budsworth

I had RAs for over a year in a perpetual organic garden (yeah, I know, worst case scenario); I haven't seen any for over 8 weeks now and growth is phenomenal - Here's how I got rid of them, without having to shut down:

1) Begin ammending all soil with 1c/ft³ of Neem Seed Meal, Crab Shell Meal (chitlin), and diatomaceous earth

2) Reduce watering amount so that watering is required every other day

3) Begin Azamax Treatment, every 3rd watering / 6 days @ 1tbsp/gal (alternate with Botanigard)

4) Begin Botanigard treatment, every 3rd watering / 6 days (alternate with Azamax) @ 1tsp/gal

5) Begin Hygrozyme treatment, every other watering @ 1tsp/gal

6) Begin Gnatrol WDG treatment of all new soil @ 1tsp/gal

I kept a holding pattern with steps 1-6 for about 3 months while I cycled the Neem Seed Meal / Crab Shell meal / DE into all of my soil. These treatments *definitely* affected the RA populations, but ultimately never pushed them below 15-20% of the original population I had when I discovered them.

7) Root dunk all plants in Pyganic II 5.0EC - I filled a large tub and submerged each one individually for ~2min.

8) Repeat global Pyganic root dunk 4 days later.

9) Continue Azamax treatments for 1 month

10) End Azamax treatment, begin re-inoculation of soil with compost teas

11) Nematodes, nematodes, nematodes. For about a month, every other watering.

Ultimately, I'm not sure which combination of these controls worked and it took over 6 months to complete the treatment, but I really think they're gone! :jump:

I'm betting you it's the PyGanic. Never heard of it....but a little Sherlock Holmes work here:

PyGanic has pyrethrum. I got instant visual results when I sprayed the pyrethrum on top of the soil when I first noticed them this summer.

After the several treatments with nasty stuff, I'm a little nervous that I'd open a box of nematodes...and they'd instantly keel over.

But I think this PyGanic thing might be "it". The spray worked instantly. I was thinking back then that I needed a liquid version to get further than the top of the soil.

Man...I hope that's it. I can't believe I forgot all about the pyrethrum spray and what happened.

Thank you, fellow stoners, for jogging my memory.

Oh...and if I sprayed the topsoil in the veg room...do you think it would affect my plants that are about to harvest that are basically on the other side of a curtain I open and close every day...if I used the pyrethrum spray?

turbo14

Veteran
Yes. Colorado. So you didn't say what you thought they were. You identify those as root aphids as well?

And, yes, the plants I'm treating are in veg. The ones in bloom got an azamax drench and foliar at the very beginning of flower (as I always do...but that's it). But they also don't appear to have the buggers in their soil.

Yes those are Black Root Aphids.

Give the Safer Insect killing Soap a try for soil drench, Organic and can be used all the way up to harvest. I have found 10x more results with soap over Azamax drenches, it's cheap and effective. Be persistent.

The Pyganic works great as well, but will build up tolerance if not rotated with soaps.

turbo

Budsworth

Yes those are Black Root Aphids.

Give the Safer Insect killing Soap a try for soil drench, Organic and can be used all the way up to harvest. I have found 10x more results with soap over Azamax drenches, it's cheap and effective. Be persistent.

The Pyganic works great as well, but will build up tolerance if not rotated with soaps.

turbo

Thanks, Turbo.

Safer soap rotated with the Pyganic.

RetroGrow

Veteran
We've already established long ago how to get rid of root aphids. The answer is Imid. It is not a contact killer. It's systemic, and it takes a while for all the RAs to die, but they will die if your plants are still drinking and the medium was drenched while it was relatively dry. It's kind of redundantly pointless to continue to suggest other "methods" to try to get rid of them. The answer is imid, and it works 100% if applied correctly.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Hey budsworth, I have those fast moving white guys..... I love em, my secret weapon. Only bug that fast moving that looks like that is hypoapes pr3edators. And they WORK. I have seen many different sizes from salt specs to larger ones.

You can see my organic grow in my sig in its 8th week flower that features these little guys and it's looking great. And this soil is on it's first recycle So they ain't hurtin anything..... I had some gnats come in with some new soil on the veg side and the flower side with these little guys never saw more than 1 gnat on my sticky cards at soil level.

Smiley

turbo14

Veteran
We've already established long ago how to get rid of root aphids. The answer is Imid. It is not a contact killer. It's systemic, and it takes a while for all the RAs to die, but they will die if your plants are still drinking and the medium was drenched while it was relatively dry. It's kind of redundantly pointless to continue to suggest other "methods" to try to get rid of them. The answer is imid, and it works 100% if applied correctly.

But Imid should remain in the veg room unless you like smoking systemics. I agree this stuff works great, but I wouldn't advise others to use it in their flower rooms. Read the label... Imid should be treated early so that the the systemic can do it's thing. Other than that, you must treat with other "methods" to keep RA population down from damaging your finished product.

Budsworth

I used bayer advanced...with imidacloprid. Two treatments. Are imid and imidacloprid different?

Either way...killed the gnats...didn't phase the little buggers in the soil.

Budsworth

But Imid should remain in the veg room unless you like smoking systemics. I agree this stuff works great, but I wouldn't advise others to use it in their flower rooms. Read the label... Imid should be treated early so that the the systemic can do it's thing. Other than that, you must treat with other "methods" to keep RA population down from damaging your finished product.

These are all in veg. No problems in bloom. Well...not this anyways.

Budsworth

Hey budsworth, I have those fast moving white guys..... I love em, my secret weapon. Only bug that fast moving that looks like that is hypoapes pr3edators. And they WORK. I have seen many different sizes from salt specs to larger ones.

You can see my organic grow in my sig in its 8th week flower that features these little guys and it's looking great. And this soil is on it's first recycle So they ain't hurtin anything..... I had some gnats come in with some new soil on the veg side and the flower side with these little guys never saw more than 1 gnat on my sticky cards at soil level.

Smiley

What?

Okay...someone just pooped in my shoe.

You're POSITIVE these are hypoaspis? I asked this a page ago.

I don't know where I would have gotten beneficial predatory mites. I didn't buy any and introduce them to the room. Is it common for them to naturally occur?

We have two other guys that say these are root aphids.

Did everybody watch that video I posted a page or two ago?

Because BIG DIFFERENCE between beneficials and root aphids.

I ordered some of that pyganic today. But not the 1.4. The 5.0.

I'm wondering if I should just wipe them out to be sure...then introduce (or reintroduce...depending on which poster we're talking to) hypoaspis.

Then whatever they are (in case they're root aphids), they're gone.

Then I know for sure I'm introducing hypoaspis. I'd obviously wait awhile until all the pesticides has time to decay.

jimbo99

i had these those same bugs last summer. Spectracide from home depot killed them all in one shot. I did one tablespoon per gal and just watered till runoff. They didnt come back after that. Got the bugs from fox farm ocean forest soil. Checked fresh bag and it was crawling with them.

Latest posts

Latest posts