What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

reckon

thats a spider mite,..not "LOOKS like a",.."IS a"

so start looking at the leaves, you should see some whitish/yellowish spots where they suck the plants juices.

AZAMAX (azatrol) which is concentrated NEEM extract is the accepted method of dealing with mites, and I can speak from experience, IT WORKS,...you MUST follow the directions, and apply it according to the schedule, or you won't break the cycle.

several IC members have posted success using Bayer for the soil, and azamax for the above ground parts in dealing with mites.

the thing is NONE of this can be used once you are flowering, the agents listed above take too long to dissipate.

if it was me, I'd scrap (yes, trash can) ALL the infested plants, taking cuttings to preserve the strain (if need be, lots of us can just go down to the club and get more cuts) and then work on cleaning the grow space, and WAIT several weeks, THEN start up again, using BT (mosquito dunks/gnatrol) as the control agent which is EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE, as long as you don't already have a serious infestation.

which is what I just had to go through first with thrips, and then the gnats, over the last month,...............now they are completely gone and I started up again.

plumbum

reckon, i have to disagree with your ID of the bug.. i know what spider mite is.. i'm not newbie.. i've fought them successfully for many years.. by the way the best cure as of now is Forbid 4F.. all my clones get dipped in this stuff as preventive measure.. so leaves are clean.. this bug lives in soil and doesn't go above.. but i do agree it most likely from mite family.. maybe it is one the mites smurfin'herb and spleebale have discussion earlier in this thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3552921&highlight=mite#post3552921
or it could be one of soil-dwelling predatory mites like hypoaspid http://store.evergreengrowers.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=1
i don't know.. the problem is my plants have all symptoms as infested with root aphids.. maybe it's just a root rot??

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
What is the minimum effective dose to apply for bayer citrus and veggie for soil? I was going to do 20 ml/gallon.

Urgent!

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
All right what the fuck. I thought for sure I had root aphids today, but after looking at probably 50 different specimens I have yet to find any with the two sucker tubes on their back. Also they all seem to have the little pincher looking thing on their ass. I HAVE been able to pick out the distinctive y pattern found in fungus gnats. I dosed with bayer citrus and veggie about two hours ago and now I only found one or two fliers. I used to be able to see a few on each plant scurrying around the top of the soil.

Note: I have never found anything without wings. I can't check my roots because I grow in smartpots.

ARE THESE ROOT APHIDS?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Relentless

Veteran
just wanted to say ive been bug free since applying bayers advance friday!! next treatment is tomorrow, wednesday.
thanks for everything guys.

this thread should DEFINITELY be stickied, at the top!

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Okay...... so I've made some progress in my own diagnoses of the bugs in my room. In other words, what I feel that I've actually seen.

So haven't had root aphids since the late spring. Continued pyganic and azamax drenchings plus BTi got me through harvest.

The clones that were vegging at that time had an outbreak of gnats. I meticulously looked at all fliers under 30x microscope and they were all gnats. Treated with BTi and azamax and haven't seen anything flying or crawling.

Then this last week I brought in a new mixing of my soil and a few days later those pots are crawling with the fast moving white bugs that are in the beginning of this thread. I figure RA's? I even catch a flying bug that looked like it might have been an RA.....

I know I'm rambling but I smoked purple kush for breakfast :D

Anyways, I caught a weird flying insect that I went to look up and it was a parasitic wasp that feeds on aphids and I think gnats? Anyways, while looking it up I find the Hypoaspis Predatory Mite that plumbum mentioned above. It was the only thing that looked similar.

So today I saw one moving top of pot and caught it. I put it on a black piece of paper and touched it with some rubbing alcohol and it stopped moving. I looked at it through the 30x and sure enough it was the Hypoaspis mite. Dead ringer.

So at this point I have visual ID of fungus gnat fliers and larva, the predatory mites, the parasitic wasp, and what I think is 1 flying RA.

These mites were also present in the spring and I really can't recall now what other sorts of aphids I might have seen.

I'm treating with the normal assortment of organic treatments right now and will report back what happens. I am pretty sure it was a flying aphid so that puts all of the pests and predators ihn my soil mix at once from jump street.

After the rubbing alc evaporated, he started moving again. I did it once more and a little bit later he was moving again. The 3rd time it killed him.

Smiley

plumbum

GeorgeSmiley.. interesting enough i've used rubbing alcohol too.. it was only way to make this bug to slow down and take a picture.. it was moving very fast before.. same thing happen to the bug.. after alcohol evaporated this guy came back to life.. not as active.. maybe half the speed.. second full drop completely killed it.. what symptoms do you have with your plants? do you have yellowing and stunted growth? i wonder if imbd treatment killed root aphids, but hypoaspis survived since the bayer imbd doesn't do anything to him.. maybe it is beneficial bug and actually was helping me to fight RA's.. though i've never ever seen one root aphid before.. i've had plenty of gnats though.. what if my symptoms are from root rot that was spread by gnats??

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I had typical yellowing on a select few leaves per plant. Calcium deficiency. I feel like the bugs slow uptake of water/ and this causes overwatering/lockoout symptoms. Keep in mind that I've never had the outbreak that others have had with fliers and the actual RA's Guess I get on top of issues asap. So it's hard to compare.

Yeah I'm wondering the beneficial thing. I guess I wasn't ready to find out, just wanted them dead. But finding the wasp/spiders/now poss hypaopis it leads me to believe that in my circumstances, the symptoms have been minimized because of the diverse group of beneficials and micros keeping healthy soil for the roots to expand .... outrunning the problem so to speak and they're down in 2 months which I bet..... would be the onslaught of a big outbreak.... I suspect.

Smiley

Relentless

Veteran
hey guys, i treated with bayers advance on friday and havent seen a bug since, but from what Ive read your supposed to do 3 treatments 4-5 days apart..
So 5 days would be wednesday and I dont think the soil will be totally dried out..
is this the correct way of doing it?

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
I've only heard it takes once followed by other types of prevention. Botaniguard/spectracide etc..

Can someone id my root aphids??!

Fat J

I just hit em once, also burning sulphur and a pyrethrin spray treatment seemed to work best for me (RA will weaken the plant and often will make it easy for peripheral infections such as fungus gnats, spidermites, PM, etc). The bayer should only be applied once unless you're doing more than 30 days veg. repeating treatments will increase the amount of imid in the plants and it will take longer to flush out - and your mfr reccomended pre-harvest interval would increase. Allpy again, and itll take more than 45-60 days to be "safe for consumption" How long do you have till the end of the round, what medium are you in should determine if you need more than 1 treatment. only times ive seen it take more than 1 was in a medium like hydroton clay.

Give me a good pic and I'll try to ID it. But often ppl get RA AND Fungus Gnats together, and the gnats are WAY easier to catch, the RA are almost impossible to catch, so gettin a good pic of the correct bug can be tricky.

Fat J

Doh, scrolled past ur pics, self... They dont look like RA, look more like fungus gnats - BUT - the adult RA are hard to catch and dont usually land on those sticky cards... do you have white crawlers in the medium? can u pull one out and check the root ball?

RA have a rounded ass, slightly plump, kinda beetle-like. A few in ur pics kinda look like them, but theyre blurry and I cant really see them well enough but they dont look like the RA i had.

Fat J

Sorry for all the posting, stoned. But also - with RA you dont really get fliers until the population reaches carrying capacity of the medium. There have to be a SHITLOAD in the medium b4 u see even 1 flier pop out.

SELFHEMPLOYED

सदस्य
Veteran
Haha isn't this grand. I scared myself into thinking I had root aphids and immediately fucked em with the bayer. Less than 24 hours later... They are fungus gnats! Oh well I'm pretty sure the imid knocked out the fungus gnats as well. Has imid been proven effective against the fungus gnats?

No crawlies, no anything but the winged ones. My plants are just a bit rootbound and maybe my scrog is touch too close to the light because directly under the light is where all the color change is happening.

Doh!!

donothing

Hey DONOTHING, I don't think those are root aphids. I think they maybe spring tails. Root aphids move a lot slower. And are more beetle like.
yea i thought that too but but everyone keeps telling me they are a diff form of aphid i have had regular root aphids before and killed them easily with brayer T+S

im not sure anyone knows exactly what this bug is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZxqcV3iCs all i know is that they have ruined me for the last year finally i have killed them but well see if they come back. wish me luck...

donothing

I have noticed these small white fast moving "root aphids" also, they seem to be all over the coco even after strong doses of imid. I will try some of the spectracide triazicide, I think it's the same stuff. Did you have to reapply? Since it's a contact killer it seems like you would to totally eliminate it.

And to dippin61, yes it really sucks if we are being sold mediums that come with such a terrible pest, and possibly even fungal or bacterial diseases. I would like to continue using coco, but it's hard to know whether or not I should. In any case it seems like once the insects are present they really like the coco medium.
i did re apply just to be sure but i no longer see any running around so i think i am finally over this hurdle, ill keep posting to let everyone know. yes spectracide triazicide is the same chem as [FONT=&quot] ORCHARD INSECT KILLER (LAMBDA-CYHALOTHRIN .05%) [/FONT] but not sure if the strength is the same, good luck bro!

my bugs:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZxqcV3iCs

Last edited:

donothing

my plants showing signs of deficiency, yellowing of the leaves, stunted growth.. all symptoms pointing out to root aphids.. i was treating my coco by drenching it with azatrol, pyganic pro, botanigard, and bayer tree and shrub.. it didn't work. population is much smaller now, but it is still present.. i started to look more and compare pictures on a web and realized that it doesn't look like root aphid, but more like some sort of mite living in soil..

please help me to figure out what is it?! and how to get my plants healthy again!

attachment.php

attachment.php
that kinda looks the same as mine but mine seem to be more whitish in color did your run fast like mine?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZxqcV3iCs

donothing

looks like a standard red spider mite to me
http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21258

Fungus gnats look EXACTLY like tiny mosquitoes (chronomidae family)
http://blog.monsterworms.com/2009/11/26/fungus-gnats-and-worm-farm-bins/

Root aphids have a much fatter rear segment, and look more like beetles
http://ipmnews.msu.edu/landscape/La...74/Root-aphids-on-container-grown-asters.aspx

that has 8 legs (which neither aphids nor gnats have), and looks like a spider mite.

hope that answers the question
any idea what i have?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ZxqcV3iCs

Latest posts

Latest posts