What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

sneakinman13

Veteran
i also see everyone talking about " soil drenchs" and "dunks"

is a soil drench just watering your plant normally? if not explain? and if in soil can i just water with the mix'ed solution? ..

fuck this sucksss. help!

Fat J

Typically a drench would be taking a bucket or something and then watering the "dunk" solution/treatment into it till the bucket fills up to the level of the top of the medium then let it soak a couple mins max, then let it drain...

Fat J

However with imid, you dont need to drench unless you're in hydroton or something similar - coco/soil u can just water them with it and make sure u dont over water for the first week.

I have two identical trays of clones in ebb/flo, each with their own reservoir. Identical feeding schedule, nutrients and conditions.

One tray was hit harder than the other by root aphids just before switching to 12/12. Now five weeks into flowering there are some obvious differences between each group, even though the aphids have been under control since switching to 12/12.

The tray that was most heavily infested with aphids is lighter green with more lower leaves yellowing and the buds are about 25% smaller than the less affected tray. The roots hanging out of the pots are still brownish. There is obviously a residual effect even after wiping most of them out.

I wish a had a decent camera but I only have this craptastic built-in webcam on my ibook. The slightly damaged plants are in the foreground.

day 33 of 12/12

Fat J

Congratz mile - glad to hear that i was a bit worried about that... how long after treatment did u harvest?

Sickaluph

I've been smoking on Afghan Kush that was treated with a tiny bit of imid about 3 weeks before harvest. Haven't noticed a thing, it's super bomb.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I just killed some more plants that were treated with imid a few weeks ago. The yellow frozen in time plants lol. :D :D I'm in a killing mood lately

They started growing again but figured waste of space compared to things growing up behind them....

Anyways my point........ the earthworms that came with my castings were still alive and kicking when I broke up the root ball. The roots were fine looking just sparse compared to a plant not afflicted of same age.

The clones I killed, looked like they grew, got treated with imid, and stopped. Full stop. Still alive..... but not at all growing. So I trashed em. I'll take new clones this week.

Kinda surprised the worms were still alive.

smiley

bali_man

How about a high concentration of C02???

Would that kill these fookers?

save your money, I went through 2x 20# co2 tanks and it didn't do shit. I've got someone else who I'm going to be helping to see if we can find something that universally kills these fuckers. We're going to try 50% alcohol flushes, and follow it with an ammonia based product, followed by a regular watering.

Up until a week ago acephate was the only chem that i had noticed dissolved these monsters (even imid, bif, and gamma had their limitations). But we did an acephate treatment, and the results were quite disappointing. After hitting them with the acephate, 48 hours later RAs could still be observed in his medium (he grows with coco). So now I'm convinced that there are multiple kinds of RAs with some of them being very easy to eradicate (as was in my case) and some being impossible to even put a dent in.

After the flushes, if nothing I'm going to being out the flamethrower. haha. My buddy has invested 5k into his room, and these bastards are decimating his girls. If you miss one fucker, they can rebuilt the entire population back in a matter of 10 days.

On a side note, insecticidial soap DOES eliminate the youngsters. just watch the ph because it will be 9-10ish after you add the soap to the water.

g00d luck!

bm

sneakinman13

Veteran
so im trying to gather some information from you good ppl...

im pretty much trying to prevent these things from my next round.... so besides cleaning the living shit outa my rooom... i was wondering if theres any other good preventatives for these things....

also it seems like the imid is the best thing to use....
although i cannot use it on my flowering plants atm...i was reading its a good preventative in veg??? is this truuu??

if so how many times should i use it...it seems like 2 times should be enough?

also is this the right stuff
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/32Oz-Conc-Insec-Control-701520A-by-Bayer-Crop-Science-u119448.html

if not can you point me in the right direction.....

on a plus note. i treated my mid flowering plants with spectracide. and they are looking wayyyy better then befor.. so hopefully this product will alllow me to flower these out to the end! thanks everyone

Fat J

Put it out in the sun for a few hot sunny days, good direct sun, spread thin on a tarp - u can cover it with clear plastic - the UV from the sun will nuke the dirt - the old hippie method ^.^

Fat J

(Add-on^)If it gets fully dried out by the sun would prolly be best tho... would kill most benes but would kill the bugs/eggs too... imho

MjBuddah

I got 2 Kryptonite clones from Green Dragon Collective in Van Nuys. They carry Oaksterdam clones...I usually don't use clones bc Ive had lots of bad experiences so I mostly use fem. seeds and on occasion regular seeds. i have found they are the most pest resistent and just yield more. Anyway the Kryptonites were quarantined in Azatrol in a big bucket. I think those root aphids jump from the leaves or strem, or wherever the fuck they're larave hide and move to the roots bc thats the only thing that isnt submerged. I have no idea how these lil bastards got on my roots besides that. Anyway, I have them in a DWC tubbler and put Azatrol in the resevoir. It killed 90% of the root aphids after one treatment. Id say 95 to 98 percent are dead(IF NOT ALL of them) after 3 treatments. However, after I gave the resevoir Azatrol, the leaves became increasingly blotchy, especially like dead reddish copper spots like heat stress or nitrogen overdose almost. There were also white blotches,which looked like magnesium defiency. All of the growth before I gave that stuff Azatrol is blotchy. The new growth after the treatment hasnt develped any blotches and looks extremly healthy. The only thing to watch out for when doing this treatment is to wash off the gunk(Algae) which is sort of a byproduct of azatrol that ends up on your roots. it can suffocate your roots if you dont rub/wash it off. I used a mister to wash the gunk off. However, I think I might just have to scrap those plants soon b/c I only have space for 12 plants....and they ALL need to be healthy as possible. But I hope this can help. I used 2.5 mL of Azatrol per gallon of H20. You can boost it up to 5 mL if shits bad.-MJ BUDDAH

mcmawg

Reporting in to damage control; ma gurlz been taken hostage by the bug bastiges!

1st grow; 6 bucket RDWC. Clones into buckets 31 Jan this year.
I've kept records and pics since the beginning; have data avail.
Was trying to figure out pH lock out/overfeed issues the last couple weeks (see my 'Head Scratching' thread in the Infirmary).
While looking at my pics from the 22nd, I stumble upon the added whammy:
I've got a bunch of stowaways eating my roots!
I freak and end up here; small consolation finding others have similar infestations.
Hopefully there are some solutions.
Spend all night reading 25 pages of threads. Go to the Depot today and hit 'em up for Bayer fix-it juice.
Get to my grow space, tell the gurlz "weez gonna try and fix all this" and dump in 150 ml of the juice.
I snipped a couple sections of roots, popped 'em on a piece of white paper and snapped a couple cameos.
Got em sitting here in a zip lock for more inspection when I'm less baked. (Had to take my frenzied edge off after my grow room visit today...)
I'll get better pics in the coming days.

GAME ON, BEEEEYotches! :bashhead:

mcmawg

Attachments

• 23-Mar-Beeyotch.jpg
    23-Mar-Beeyotch.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 23-Mar-MKush-1.jpg
    23-Mar-MKush-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 23-Mar-MKush-1-r.jpg
    23-Mar-MKush-1-r.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 29

Greenmopho

Reporting in to damage control; ma gurlz been taken hostage by the bug bastiges!

1st grow; 6 bucket RDWC. Clones into buckets 31 Jan this year.
I've kept records and pics since the beginning; have data avail.
Was trying to figure out pH lock out/overfeed issues the last couple weeks (see my 'Head Scratching' thread in the Infirmary).
While looking at my pics from the 22nd, I stumble upon the added whammy:
I've got a bunch of stowaways eating my roots!
I freak and end up here; small consolation finding others have similar infestations.
Hopefully there are some solutions.
Spend all night reading 25 pages of threads. Go to the Depot today and hit 'em up for Bayer fix-it juice.
Get to my grow space, tell the gurlz "weez gonna try and fix all this" and dump in 150 ml of the juice.
I snipped a couple sections of roots, popped 'em on a piece of white paper and snapped a couple cameos.
Got em sitting here in a zip lock for more inspection when I'm less baked. (Had to take my frenzied edge off after my grow room visit today...)
I'll get better pics in the coming days.

GAME ON, BEEEEYotches! :bashhead:

mcmawg

Looks like the leaves on the plant in your pics has some pretty advanced powdery mildew. This can be from the susceptibility of the weakened plants. Stay on top of that... potassium carbonate or diluted milk.

spleebale

Mcmawg: sorry to hear you've joined our crew, hopefully we can help you straighten things out.

Sorry to be a bummer, but the pic of the plant you included looks pretty bad. When things are that bad, it is likely that you will be able to surpass your current state starting over with clones before you would be able to recuperate health enough to have a healthy bloom. If you plant clones today (and scrap that plant and disinfect) I figure you could have them bigger and more healthy than that plant could be in 2 weeks. I am sorry to say it, but at that point you will keep trying to do things to heal the plant but it will take a very long time to re-gain health.

As far as the bugs you have posted, THANK YOU for the contribution! This seems to be a FIFTH type of root aphid which has not yet been posted (pics anyhow) - the up-close you took looks a lot like one of the fliers I have without wings - but I never saw any that had the larger, thinner, lower, all-black body but with no wings. Do you have a name you would like to add to our running collection ("crabs" "tank beetles" "psulloxera" and "micro bots")?