What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Okay so I did the potato test...

picture.php

picture.php

These are stills I took from a video on a grower's edge iphone scope attachment

I noticed some of the bugs were bigger than the original ones I found on the side of the pot, but still much smaller than a springtail.

One characteristic I noticed is that whenever they come in contact with one another or a springtail they sort of jump back super far, almost as if they were electrically electrically charged. Like they touch and bam suddenly they are separated by a big distance. And these fukers were pretty damn fast overall.

Can anyone give a positive ID on these?

I could also upload the video somewhere which gives a much better idea, but not sure of a site to do it where I could strip the meta data from it...

Edit: Also now wtf should I do with those potato slices? I'm like scared to put them in the trash or compost lol...

Miraculous Meds

View Image

View Image

I noticed some of the bugs were bigger than the original ones I found on the side of the pot, but still much smaller than a springtail.

One characteristic I noticed is that whenever they come in contact with one another or a springtail they sort of jump back super far, almost as if they were electrically electrically charged. Like they touch and bam suddenly they are separated by a big distance. And these fukers were pretty damn fast overall.

I could also upload the video somewhere which gives a much better idea, but not sure of a site to do it where I could strip the meta data from it...

Edit: Also now wtf should I do with those potato slices? I'm like scared to put them in the trash or compost lol...

Jumping makes me think spring tails, u got any flyers around.

Potatoes, fry em up, little extra spring tale protein... hmmm

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
look up exif data remover in the ap store its free. theres a few. plus i think this site does it too. not that you should rely on that.

Jumping makes me think spring tails, u got any flyers around.

Potatoes, fry em up, little extra spring tale protein... hmmm

no sign of flyers yet. Had fungus gnats maybe 3 months ago but 1 mosquito dunk took care of them no problem.

look up exif data remover in the ap store its free. theres a few. plus i think this site does it too. not that you should rely on that.

yeah but can you even embed videos here? I've only seen youtube links which aren't embedded... and I don't have a youtube account... hmm

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
im not familiar enough to say from those photos. there does appear to be tailpipes but thats a fuzzy pick to be making such a statement. maybe eclipse can tell. id say you should get a scope with all the growing and nutes we already buy, a 150 scope aint shit and itll save you a lot of time and money.

Miraculous Meds

If there is no flyers and u r finding them when they are that small Id say they are prob not aphids. Of course this isn't definitive just adding up the pieces.

J

johndoe123

The second picture looks almost like the tank beetle aphid type that I had but mine were a bit bigger than spring tails and more of a brown color. I'll check out your video when I get to a desktop

J

johndoe123

After watching your video mind you I'm no expert but those look like spring tales. What was the large insect about halfway thru your video. It looked freaking huge!

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
wow im not sure.i just saw the flyers and by the time i got a scope my problem was gone. im thinking springtails by the way they move. but i never scoped my aphids. the damn things seem to be jumping. i dont know. the image is really weird purple with white blurry silhouette of the bug. hard to make out well enough to see tailpipe vs hind legs for me.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
you seriously need to invest in a decent scope. even a crappy one would be better than that. if you are on a mac it can be tricky to find a compatible one for cheap. if youre on a pc all of the cheap ones work.youll pull your fricken hair out no knowing.

medicalmj

Veteran

View Image

View Image

MITES. But don't worry they're the harmless (to your plant) type. ID them, no one could do that without the actual specimen, Google the number of species of mite and you'll know why.

Yes, put them in the compost pile! Mites are more important to life on earth than bees, worms and ants all put together raised to 10th power...or something close to that.

If there is no flyers and u r finding them when they are that small Id say they are prob not aphids. Of course this isn't definitive just adding up the pieces.

My buddy who has been battling RAs for a long time said he didn't even find any at all for the first 8 months of the problem. He said something like he needed a 200x scope just to even see them, and the scope I was using was 60x. He didn't see any flyers or anything for a long time, so I am worried these could be RAs in the earlier/intermediate stages.

After watching your video mind you I'm no expert but those look like spring tales. What was the large insect about halfway thru your video. It looked freaking huge!

Ha, the huge thing in the middle of the video is actually a springtail! So that's a good point of comparison: the springtail is maybe 1mm long, shows how small the unidentified bug really is.

wow im not sure.i just saw the flyers and by the time i got a scope my problem was gone. im thinking springtails by the way they move. but i never scoped my aphids. the damn things seem to be jumping. i dont know. the image is really weird purple with white blurry silhouette of the bug. hard to make out well enough to see tailpipe vs hind legs for me.

Yeah the purple is from the light on the scope, otherwise the the shadow under the leaves just blacks them out. But yeah, hard to differentiate between legs and potential tail pipes which has me worried.

you seriously need to invest in a decent scope. even a crappy one would be better than that. if you are on a mac it can be tricky to find a compatible one for cheap. if youre on a pc all of the cheap ones work.youll pull your fricken hair out no knowing.

I'm on a mac... any suggestions? I'm very financially tight ATM though :( spent too much damn $ on seeds at the HTCC the other day!

I agree the pics are hard to tell by I'm also leaning towards not root aphid.

I'm praying you're right!

MITES. But don't worry they're the harmless (to your plant) type. ID them, no one could do that without the actual specimen, Google the number of species of mite and you'll know why.

Yes, put them in the compost pile! Mites are more important to life on earth than bees, worms and ants all put together raised to 10th power...or something close to that.

If this is true, that is truly fantastic news.

May I ask what makes you lean towards them being mites of some kind?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
if your goal is good ass herb the scope wins. seeds are awesome but the without the scope it can be a lost cause.
youll be happy with a midrange or cheap scope for bug detection. microscope.com has amazing customer service. a dino lite is totally compatible with mac. if you dont like it theyll let you return but you will be outthe shipping costs. they start at 150 for an ok scope for most of your needs. ok means it works fine but you wont be sending in your aphid shots to national geographic. thatll cover most of your needs.http://www.microscope.com/dino-lite-am3111-0-3mp-digital-microscope-1.html?category=227

if your goal is good ass herb the scope wins. seeds are awesome but the without the scope it can be a lost cause.
youll be happy with a midrange or cheap scope for bug detection. microscope.com has amazing customer service. a dino lite is totally compatible with mac. if you dont like it theyll let you return but you will be outthe shipping costs. they start at 150 for an ok scope for most of your needs. ok means it works fine but you wont be sending in your aphid shots to national geographic. thatll cover most of your needs.http://www.microscope.com/dino-lite-am3111-0-3mp-digital-microscope-1.html?category=227

whatever you do, dont buy a celestron for use on a mac

hell yeah man, thanks for the recommendations! I am really strapped for cash, but it seems like this is a cause worth pulling out the near-maxed credit card for; afterall it could save me countless time AND $ if it does turn out I have RAs and need to nuke everything lol.

Any accessories which are essential? Does the scope have to be plugged into the computer at the time of operation? That would be slightly inconvenient in terms of having to take out soil samples and bring it into a different room instead of simply dropping the scope on top...

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
yes. but you could go for a portable analog scope. no pics unless you set up some camera gear but itll get you into the micro world with your eyes.

medicalmj

Veteran
My buddy who has been battling RAs for a long time said he didn't even find any at all for the first 8 months of the problem. He said something like he needed a 200x scope just to even see them, and the scope I was using was 60x. He didn't see any flyers or anything for a long time, so I am worried these could be RAs in the earlier/intermediate stages.

Ha, the huge thing in the middle of the video is actually a springtail! So that's a good point of comparison: the springtail is maybe 1mm long, shows how small the unidentified bug really is.

Yeah the purple is from the light on the scope, otherwise the the shadow under the leaves just blacks them out. But yeah, hard to differentiate between legs and potential tail pipes which has me worried.

I'm on a mac... any suggestions? I'm very financially tight ATM though :( spent too much damn $ on seeds at the HTCC the other day!

I'm praying you're right!

If this is true, that is truly fantastic news.

May I ask what makes you lean towards them being mites of some kind?

Do they have a distinct head, abdomen and thorax? That would NOT be a mite.

Or just a body and head and with maybe something protruding out of the head area? Could be a mite.

I am not talking about spider, cyclamen, or broad mites, I am talking about the world of decomposing mites, aka soil mites, mould mites, etc...

Mites (as well as other things) will be attracted to a potato slice that's been left out for a while. Aphids not so much.

Finally, they just look like a type of mite that thrives in moist environments where plant material is no longer living. That potato slice is reacting, it's starting to decay, and these mites are the worlds number 1 decomposer. And there are thousands of species alone that live in these moist micro habitats.

Get a better picture and then you can be certain. But adding it up the only logical answer based on the limited info is that it's a mite. Just don't ask what kind...

Latest posts

Latest posts