What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

oceangrownkush

Veteran
What's a good adjuvant for medium drenches? Or should it just be active ingredient + neutral ph? I have some starts which need se treatments and never found out what best practices are for these

medicalmj

Veteran
Hello all, I just picked up Bayer Citrus and Fruit from Home Depot. I'm about to apply it on 10 day old clones in beer cups. Can somebody tell me the recommended application rate as the label isn't really clear...? Thanks.
Yeah, its not approved for indoor container gardens. What I deduced and also just performed the same on some beer cup babies, is that 1/2 oz (.23 % Imid) will treat about the number of mature plants under a 1k. Ideally there should be no runoff. The procedures they suggest with using 1/2 oz per quart of water for 10 sq feet however is just not applicable to our situation.

So for the beer cup babies I mix up 1/4 oz per 2 gallons with 1/2 strength nutes and put the root ball in that and let it soak for a couple minutes. And yes, I end up with a lot of bare roots. I'll transplant after that. Be sure to wash up and don't throw the stuff down the drain and don't apply to anything that will flower outdoors in the next couple months. Some will pour the remaining into the media they are transplanting into.

ceosam

Guys I'm trying to save a crop I am deeply invested into... I did a Azamax drench a week ago and just received my Merit 75WP today. I completely drenched the soil with Merit at the rate it says on the label. I do not have the option to shut down before I flower this round, but I will completely right after. Any other suggestions on how I can get through this crop? How often should I drench with the Merit and can it be used as a foilar? What other products can I use?

Hmong

Veteran
Any other suggestions on how I can get through this crop? How often should I drench with the Merit and can it be used as a foilar? What other products can I use?

Think about a topdressing to shut down your pots as good as possible.
keep your climate cool and dry.

read the whole thread if possible

you can do some research about neem
e.g https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=260048
neem products helped me a lot

cheerz Hmong

BlazinPurps

It has been over a month since I have seen an RA. I originally did 2 Orthene, Pyrethrin soaks followed by a third soak in a Merit 75 soap solution. I did intense amounts of cleaning and sterilizing (obviously not enough) and I had flyers back in 10 days. I restarted from cuttings in soil heavily amended with DE and still had flyers immediately but no crabs, I started spraying light amounts of neem and azamax twice a week and did a few emulsified neem soil drenches in the first two weeks and after that they vanished. Now I cannot find one to save my life.

Previously they seemed to laugh at neem or azamax it appeared to do nothing so I can really only attribute it to the heavily amended DE soil. I also used a fair amount of crab meal attempting to help the plants resist them on their own also. If anyone wants pictures of my grow I will post them but I did not see a need for it in this thread.

DankDanGer

I have root aphids for sure. i killed all of my plants and took cuttings into another part of the house. i am now reading they are on the cuttings too? ok so i will kill my cuttings because i am starting over so i dont ever have to look at there ugly little faces again! so... here my plan.

1)1/2 str bleach water sprayed on all floors and walls. 3 times 4 days apart
2)clean down all equipment i can with 1/2 str bleach water
3) doktor doom bomb room(s) 2 times with all equipment inside
4) toss all unused soil and start from seed

I also had a couple mothers that had root aphids in my bed room. was going to the same thing to my room and vacume carpet. does this sound like it will get rid of these guys once and for all? i am a novice grower when it comes to bugs. i am on my 3rd grow and have never had ANY bug problems untill now. any and all advice on clean up would be great. i scraped my grow soooo they better be dead after this.(i had all stages of RA's flayers too)

nofriend

DankDan!

Dont kill your cuttings. Don't scrap your grow. Don't waste your time cleaning everything with bleach. Either get some of the pesticides talked about here or prepare for a time consuming intensive battle if you go the organic route.

Granger2

Veteran
DankDanGer,
What kind of soil were you using? I'd be very careful about what brand you use. I would not use any amendments that you have on your property, as they may be infested. There's a good chance that RA's came in the soil you used. Good luck. -granger

DankDanGer

I use fox farm OF and HF for my soil. mixed with casting made at my local grow shop with growstones. I am not sure where the aphids came from but they are very nasty. they are not native to my state and cant survive throu our winters. I am thinking it came from a cutting that i got from a friend. well its too late on my plants i already have killed all my plants and took cuttings. i ordered some seeds of attitude this morning and got a bunch of free seeds with there 420 promotion.

I am an organic grower and i want to get rid of them for good. i will never be accepting cuttings again. you just never know. so from my understanding they are on my cuttings too? is this true? is it the eggs on them or the crawlers them selves? i dont understand how there are on everything like people say. how do they live without plants present?

i have already committed to starting over so i am willing to take the time and effort(and $) to make sure i dont have to deal with them again. how long can they live in an area with no plants? will doktor dooms bug booms kill all stages of RA including eggs? these guys are enough to make an organic grower to quit growing with all the horror storys out there. how do i kill these mother suckers!? again i am willing to use non organic chemicals in my room before i get new plants. then i will be using boniguard and a few other organic methods to prevent them from taking over IF them do come back god forbid. any information from growers that have successfully rid there house of these guys would be great. thanks in advance

DankDanGer

when i spray down my room would i have better luck with something other then bleach? like i said i will also be using bombs. from what i have read doktor doom seems to work the best. i dont need these chemicals to be plant friendly. i am starting over from scratch! :(

ceosam

dr doom is a waste... just had a heavy infestation and i set two large cans in a sealed room and it didnt even get the flyers

bought some merit 75wp and one drench seems to have done the trick

Does anyone in here ever go back and read? I have told you guys what to do

Seems like you try any help people from making the same mistakes I did, by passing on success and killing the bad ideas, but do they listen?
Some do. . . . . . .

DankDanGer

i have read a lot of this forum. there is 171 pages in this forum. and most of it are people trying to get rid of RAs in there plants. where i just want to clean a plant free room.i will go through and try and read as much as i can but there's no reason to insult my intelligence.

ceosam

Does anyone in here ever go back and read? I have told you guys what to do

Seems like you try any help people from making the same mistakes I did, by passing on success and killing the bad ideas, but do they listen?
Some do. . . . . . .

like he said, ive read the thread many times and everyone has something different to say.

oh and you are especially an asshole because i tried to find your post with search, but instead i found a thread you made trying to get info on a root aphid product in this subforum... why didnt you ask it it the thread, huh? huh? here is the thread dated 9/15/2013 -- this thread is from 2010
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=271105&highlight=root+aphid

edit:

just looked back one page, seems you are still battling making it over 7 months trying to "beat" RA... seems like you need to chop and reboot

i have read a lot of this forum. there is 171 pages in this forum. and most of it are people trying to get rid of RAs in there plants. where i just want to clean a plant free room.i will go through and try and read as much as i can but there's no reason to insult my intelligence.

Certainly not the intent brother.