What's new

Fungus Gnats how to completely eradicate them organically!

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Edit: Not organic read below for why and also how to avoid mistaking certain categorical terms.

goGnats.jpg

I couldn't be more behind a product. This stuff works incredibly fast. 1-2 applications and the things are gone completely.

goGnats by Hydro Organics Products

Poison Free alternative for insect control.

Non chemical pesticide. Stuff is amazing. I use blazeoneup's mix which requires miracle grow organic choice soil and I get gnats every once in awhile real bad with it. Well, after trying a lot of different methods including mosq dunks, sand on top etc...this stuff works 100% after two applications. Completely eradicated 3 infestations so far with it only using it twice and it is organic!

You just add 1.5 fl ounces to 5 gallons of water in your res or the water your using to water with (works hydro or soil I use soil). It completely kills them and absolutely love the stuff! You can also make a spray out of it! Kills lots of different insects from my experience.

I just wanted to make a thread about this stuff for other people looking for a complete solution. This is the only method that worked for me 100% and for that reason I wanted other people to know about it who may be haven't. I have used it on well over 50 plants with no ill effects and only good results.

Hope this helps somebody.

Last edited:

maryjohn

Veteran
Active ingredient?

I can get those results with tobbaciana tea, along with the kills lots of things part. Actually, that's why every time I use it I feel lousy. First thing to die is always a beneficial.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Active ingredients: 33% cedar oil, 1% sodium lauryl sulfate
Neptune's Harvest is bringing out a cedar oil product (I don't know the strength). Here's their blurb on why you would want to use cedar oil as well as cedar granules.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is simply a surfactant used in HABA products (toothpaste, shampoo, shaving foams, et al) as well as a myriad of industrial products.

If you want to use cedar products, Neptune's Harvest is a very good company with a fine line of organic fertilizers and amendments.

CC

C

CT Guy

I'm with maryjohn, what else does it kill? There must be some non-target organism effect. But, if it does minor damage to the overall biology and removes your gnat problem then it's probably worth it.

I'd suggest using products like these in conjunction with compost tea, meaning you'll follow an application of this stuff with a tea application a couple of days later to replace any lost beneficials.

O

otherwhitemeat

Yeah, Gognats has a line of products now in my local store. I tried the Gognats granules but they didn't seem to work very well, I was wondering about this stuff.

Cedar can cause metabolic disorders in certain animals. I breed lizards and have read extensively on complications from respiratory ailments, liver issues, etc It's well known now in rodent trade that cedar cause higher mortality rates. Not to freak you out, but just be careful with your applications in budding, at the least you wouldn't want your buds tasting like cedar phenols.

Edit: I've had great success with Azamax (Azrachtin from Neem) which is also organic, very effective, and breaks down in a day or two of exposure to water and light.

D

dongle69

Tried the stuff a couple years back and it didn't work well for me.
It is not organic if that matters to you.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
RE: Organics

Cedar oil is exempt from the provisions of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and is in compliance for use in organic livestock and crop production.

D

dongle69

sodium lauryl sulfate is a pesticide and herbicide. It is commonly used to kill plants and insects. Makers of SLS petitioned to have SLS listed as an approved pesticide for organic farming. The application was denied because of its polluting properties and environmental damage.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
From the US Department of Health & Human Services is a listing of household products containing 'sodium lauryl sulfate' for humans and pets - here which includes shampoos, toothpaste, mouthwash, moisturizers, pet shampoos, rinses, et al.

Active ingredients that may be in minimum risk pesticide products exempted under section 25(b) of FIFRA. Appendix A PR Notice 2000-6 include sodium lauryl sulfate meaning that it is in compliance with organic livestock and crop production.

SLS is far more than a pesticide and/or herbicide as are most chemical compounds used in manufacturing. SLS is also used in medicines.

G

Greyskull

is that why it says 'poison free alternative' rather than organic?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
is that why it says 'poison free alternative' rather than organic?
Correct....

'Approved for organic production' is yet another category.

The USDA's rules when reviewed with the EPA standards makes for an interesting maze of terms and categories for fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, etc.

CC

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Correct....

'Approved for organic production' is yet another category.

The USDA's rules when reviewed with the EPA standards makes for an interesting maze of terms and categories for fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, etc.

CC

Ahhh now that is very tricky. I read in a couple of places it was organic and my hydro guy also said it was. The name and wording on the bottle is down right misleading. If it didn't work I would feel ripped off!

Top Ten Reasons to Avoid SLS:
http://www.bubbleandbee.com/TopTenReasonstoavoidSLS.html

Unfortunately the stuff is popular because it is cheap.

Please don't promote sls as safe or organic.

Yea, I won't promote it as organic anymore as I was just given bad information and the wording on this bottle is ridiculously misleading. Will definitely promote it as working though.

@CT_Guy Yea, that is what I do I first is apply a tea the watering before using it, then the next watering I use goGnats with straight water, and then finally apply another tea the next watering to replenish. So far I can't tell a difference between performance, but who knows.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Bottom line? You wanna get rid of 'fungus gnats' once and for all?

2 tbs. of neem seed meal/cake on top of the soil as a top-dressing = end of gnats.

Eh - pretty simple solution at a low price.

CC

Kanye WeED

Edit: Not organic read below for why and also how to avoid mistaking certain categorical terms.

goGnats.jpg

I couldn't be more behind a product. This stuff works incredibly fast. 1-2 applications and the things are gone completely.

goGnats by Hydro Organics Products

Poison Free alternative for insect control.

Non chemical pesticide. Stuff is amazing. I use blazeoneup's mix which requires miracle grow organic choice soil and I get gnats every once in awhile real bad with it. Well, after trying a lot of different methods including mosq dunks, sand on top etc...this stuff works 100% after two applications. Completely eradicated 3 infestations so far with it only using it twice and it is organic!

You just add 1.5 fl ounces to 5 gallons of water in your res or the water your using to water with (works hydro or soil I use soil). It completely kills them and absolutely love the stuff! You can also make a spray out of it! Kills lots of different insects from my experience.

I just wanted to make a thread about this stuff for other people looking for a complete solution. This is the only method that worked for me 100% and for that reason I wanted other people to know about it who may be haven't. I have used it on well over 50 plants with no ill effects and only good results.

Hope this helps somebody.

havent read much into this thread but im already sold, is there a prize for most/post of the month

i nominate 40amp, hope this shit works cause im getting some!!!

Kanye WeED

damn i guess i should have read the post a lil before getting so excited damn, im having a big prob with the nats too fuc

im willing to try any freaking thing

any body ever tried mosquito dunks to kill the eggs and larvae of the fungus nats??

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Ahhh now that is very tricky. I read in a couple of places it was organic and my hydro guy also said it was. The name and wording on the bottle is down right misleading. If it didn't work I would feel ripped off!
And that has to with the 'loose and crazy' laws when it comes to consumer fertilizers.

At the wholesale level the laws are precise and exact - no question about that. When it comes to the products sold in both main-stream nurseries and especially in the arena of the 'grow store' operations the issues becomes very murky and misleading.

Having said that, if 'indoor grow stores' had to adhere to the very same laws that apply to the real deal, i.e. commercial agriculture and/or horticultural growing operations, they'd have to close up shop.

Period.

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts