What's new

Fungus diagnosis, powdery mildew? Chop?

slyman

Humidity isn't very high. Saw a couple spots in the last couple weeks but took care of them immediately. Nothing was on it yesterday and then today there's a ton

Guessing powdery mildew, there was another similar fungus I had an issue with last year. Also am I understanding correctly the pm is internal? So it's basically throughout the plant and these are just fruiting bodies? Have on other plant that is completely fine and further along than this one. Especially annoying when it's so close to being done.

Plant is in organic soil

Would we be best off just chopping now?

Attachments

• 20230928_132440.jpg
    20230928_132440.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230928_132430.jpg
    20230928_132430.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230928_132413.jpg
    20230928_132413.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230928_132359.jpg
    20230928_132359.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • 20230928_132355.jpg
    20230928_132355.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Putting a strong breeze on an actively fruiting mould like you have will probably spread it , and if indoors , could leave you fighting PM for years.
Am controlling PM just like yours by thoroughly spraying down useing ,bicarbonate of soda solution with a dash of wetting agent , worked for last three weeks but labour intensive if you have lots , every three days.

Cut off any really bad bits ahead of the mould , pay particular attention to sugar leaves where it can look like trichs and be missed.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
The plants are too far along in Flower to spray. If they are outdoors there isn't much to do except remove affected growth and hope for drier conditions. If it's indoors, things can be set to right. Remove all infected growth, decrease humidity, increase air exchange, watch out for overwatering or any standing water in saucers. Be very mindful of intercanopy and lower plant overgrowth. Defoliate. Also watch your darkphase/nighttime air, humidity, respiration for any moisture condensation on walls, leaves, surfaces.

Treat any Vegging plants, clones, or Mother's as if they already have it.

SaferGro Mildew Cure worked so well for me on PM that I still have half a bottle from the plague I conquered years ago.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Putting a strong breeze on an actively fruiting mould like you have will probably spread it , and if indoors , could leave you fighting PM for years.
Am controlling PM just like yours by thoroughly spraying down useing ,bicarbonate of soda solution with a dash of wetting agent , worked for last three weeks but labour intensive if you have lots , every three days.

Cut off any really bad bits ahead of the mould , pay particular attention to sugar leaves where it can look like trichs and be missed.
Mold is everywhere and you can't stop that however if you dry the environment out and keep the leaf tissue dryer it will be more like leather. Keeping the mold hypha from penetrating the tissue.

Powdery mildews are easily recognized by the white, powdery growth of the fungus on infected portions of the plant host. The powdery appearance results from the superficial growth of the fungus as thread-like strands (hyphae) over the plant surface and the production of chains of spores (conidia).

Is fungal hyphae bad for plants?
During colonization, the hyphae grow in the tissues, searching for nutrients. Some fungi immediately kill the plant cells to feed on their nutrients, whereas other types of fungi take up nutrients from living cells through a specialized structure produced from the hyphae.

What is mold hyphae?
Long, branched filaments called hyphae further characterize a mold. These hyphae form a tangled web that is referred to as mycelium. Hyphae are composed of an outer cell wall and an inner lumen and are either septate (have cross walls) or coenocytic (protoplasm streams throughout). Google

Keeping the plant tissue as dry as possible will help prevent hypha from penetrating the leaf tissue. That's the key and the way one can do that is by keeping the canopy drier with dry air flowing thru the plant canopy.

Reactions: X15

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Growing the past 40 or more years indoors and outdoors, I have found that growing in low humidity is Key. Starting and exposing plant seedlings to low humidity and growing the plant in those conditions will make leaf tissue tougher and more resistant to spore penetration.

I'm not here to argue with anyone about high vs low humidity but only to share what I've learned through experimenting over the years. When a plant is started and grown in an environment with 30% or less humidity it will adapt to those conditions. When those conditions are present at the beginning the adaptation will result in the leaf tissue being different than those grown with high humidity.

If the plants are exposed to higher humidities the plant tissue will most always be softer, spongy and more prone to mold and have less mold resistance.

What are the tissues of the leaf?

Molecular Expressions Cell Biology: Plant Cell Structure ...

Similar to the other organs of a plant, a leaf is comprised of three basic tissue systems, including the dermal, vascular, and ground tissue systems. These three motifs are continuous throughout an entire plant, but their properties vary significantly based upon the organ type in which they are located.

Dermal tissue is the epidermis of a vascular plant. This single layer of cells serves to protect the plant, regulates transpiration and the release of gasses, and aids in absorption.

Dermal tissue is responsible for protecting the plant from bacteria, viruses, fungi, and other microorganisms. It regulates transpiration and the release of gases from plant tissue. It also aids in the absorption of water, ions, and minerals from the soil.

Mold spores are everywhere and can't be stopped. Do they die when the environment is dry? NO they just lie dormant.

Do mold spores ever go away?
Does Mold Stop Growing When Dry? Mold spores won't continue to grow when they are dry. But as said, they will just become dormant (some even for centuries) and won't die until the right environmental conditions form and cause them to grow back. Google

You can't stop mold spores from doing what they do but you can change the environment that they grow in and that's key. Using fungicides after a spore bloom is a waste of time because once the spores are alive the damage is already done.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
If it is indoors make sure the temp never drops below 21C during dark phase. PM thrives when temps fluctuate between hot and cold.

In my experience if you have temperature fluctuation along with dry air PM will spread like wildfire.

A sulfur burner will only reset your environment, if you continue to allow conditions that are conducive then PM will thrive.

Environment is key.

slyman

thank you all, i have been trimming off anything with pm and have been keeping it mostly at bay. I made another post about it but my father sprayed it with neem without mentioning this horrible idea to me first, definitely would've told him not to do that. Anyways, going to harvest tomorrow approx. two weeks after the neem, and plan to wash the buds before drying to get off any excess neem or whatever else.

Latest posts

Latest posts