What's new

Fungicides, miticide, etc. info

Old Uncle Ben

Hi people, Uncle Ben here. Might as well share this (edited) "conversation" I just wrote for a member who asked about the use of fungicides during flowering. Here's my reply:

No bother at all. Yeah, folks are gun shy when it comes to lawsuits....seems it's the way of the world these days.

I use Forbid 4F for mite control even though it's not labeled for edibles. It will nail all varieties of mites and at ALL stages of development. It is not a poison. Is also translaminar (works through to the bottom if applied to the top of the leaf). A lot of chemicals are not registered for edibles/tobacco because it's a very expensive and long process for the manufacturer. Has nothing to do with half life, toxicity, etc.

I have been applying fungicides to edibles for decades and have a lot of training including an (expired) Texas Pesticide Applicators License. In addition to pure indicas (Deep Chunk stuff, Cannacopia and Tom Hill works) I'm growing out now I have a wine grape vineyard and graft/produce avocados, mangos, citrus, pitaya, maters, etc. I must use fungicides on them to control such pressures as the mildews, anthracnose and the dreaded bunch rot disease which affects cannabis - botrytis.

I have about 5 gallons of Magnabon CS2005 and a left over gallon of Phyton 35. 1.5 - 2 tsp/gallon as a preventative. They are both copper sulfate pentahydrate chemistries, broad spectrum systemics. Based on the copper tech and the very low rate I would not hesitate to apply either at the beginning or middle of the flower response and have done so. Magnabon CS2005 doesn't contain a surfactant which is a must. Recommend NIS, aka non-ionic surfactant. HiYield is a good "spreader-sticker". I buy my surfactants at a feed supply store, about $16/gallon. 1 tsp/gallon rate.

Good buy - Nice thing about Phyton is the tech support if you get in a jam. I WAY over applied Phyton to a large producing avocado tree, 2 days later blasted it with water after realizing my mistake and had very little leaf burn. Tech support was super through out this "aw shit" experience.

Now, the kicker is, sourcing this stuff for every day folks, or you can try ebay. You'll have to find a distributor. The owner of Magnabon is Frank Meile out of Florida. Nice guy, super knowlegeable but it helps if you approach him from a commercial ag grower's frame of reference. You'll get a cheaper price and he'll be more receptive.

Pristine, another dual action systemic labeled for grapes, etc., which contains a 'strobie' is excellent, but it is very expensive. A jug will last 10 people many years though. I'm still using some I split with a friend 14 years ago.

Keyplex 350DP is said to aid in plant immunity responses. The micros it imparts is excellent should deficiencies be a problem. You could also apply Si.

Pro-Text.jpeg

Good luck,
Uncle Ben

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I don't spray anything on the plants I vape. Most especially anything with copper in it. The reason those products are hard to get is that regular gardeners shouldn't be spraying that stuff on their plants. Those products are made for outdoor agriculture reasons and not for craft cannabis growing.

Old Uncle Ben

OK

Copper sulfate and other fungicides such as mancozeb are used as fungicide sprays on tobacco on an extremely small basis, talking 50 ppm. It's all about toxicity. You inhale more harmful products taking a walk down main street to get a cup of coffee in New York City.

Phyton 35 and Magnabon CS2005 are often used as soil drenches.

Vendors that sell "cannabis specific" products can not be trusted. Their profit motive is far from admirable. Never have bought anything they sell, nor will I start now and I've been growing pot for decades.

Uncle Ben

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
OK

Copper sulfate and other fungicides such as mancozeb are used as fungicide sprays on tobacco on an extremely small basis, talking 50 ppm. It's all about toxicity. You inhale more harmful products taking a walk down main street to get a cup of coffee in New York City.

Phyton 35 and Magnabon CS2005 are often used a soil drenches.

Vendors that sell "cannabis specific" products can not be trusted. Their profit motive is far from admirable. Never have bought anything they sell, nor will I start now and I've been growing pot for decades.

Uncle Ben
I don't either buy from them. I don't spray anything on my plants.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I've worked for a lot of people that sprayed fungicides on their lawns and fruit trees in the past. Most of the time when they started spraying it was too late because a fungus was already infecting the plants. Just a waste of money and time. However, if they use it more as a preventive the fungicides may have been more effective. It's very important to know how to use them to get the most out of any fungicide. Post some photos of those plants you spray so we can see how it works. Thanks for sharing your work.

Old Uncle Ben

I don't either buy from them. I don't spray anything on my plants.
In general, I don't either, don't need to. By the same token I've used Forbid 4F after a bout with mites, or, blasted the fuckers off with a blast of water in the shower with the plants sitting on my shower's seat.

I know chemicals, am professionally trained, and am not about to jeopardize my health or others. To do so is reckless.

I am and have been a commercial ag grower for many years which requires a broad knowledge base regarding plant management, soil chemistry and plant nutrition.

Speaking of which, can't beat Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus. It's a 15-9-12, 5-6 month release. Water, done, from start to finish. No need to flush, which is a myth anyway.

Uncle Ben

Old Uncle Ben

I was one of the original members of the old Overgrow, got C99 from Ron owner of Heaven's Stairway about 22 years ago. Did a back cross then and grew out these stabilized seeds. Well, I had them in my greenhouse where my citrus is a magnet for mites and sure enough. By the time I took action it was too late. Really compromised the yield and potency. I got them under control but too late.

Mites.jpg
Mites2.jpg
C99.jpg

Compared with the old days.

C99@6.5wks-2_18.jpg

Regards,
Uncle Ben

Old Uncle Ben

I've worked for a lot of people that sprayed fungicides on their lawns and fruit trees in the past. Most of the time when they started spraying it was too late because a fungus was already infecting the plants. Just a waste of money and time.

Most people don't know what they're doing. It's all about timing, dose, how.....

Here's a highly trusted chart of fungicides that are used here in Texas for vineyards recommended by the Aggies after extensive testing for safety and efficacy. Just showing this as an example. We Texans are still standing, and strong!

Anyway, not pushing anything. Everyone has to make a choice. There are plenty of "organic" choices. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-69-w.pdf

Uncle Ben
Fungicides.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I love your plant and I can see how pretty and healthy your plant looks. Thank you for your expertise friend. You will be very helpful in upcoming posts. I have seen a few questions with the need for your experience here over the past few years. . Thank you for posting friend and keep us updated. .

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Most people don't know what they're doing. It's all about timing, dose, how.....

Here's a highly trusted chart of fungicides that are used here in Texas for vineyards recommended by the Aggies after extensive testing for safety and efficacy. Just showing this as an example. We Texans are still standing, and strong!

Anyway, not pushing anything. Everyone has to make a choice. There are plenty of "organic" choices. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/bp/bp-69-w.pdf

Uncle Ben View attachment 18825360
Do you know if CS2005 is available in quantities less than 2.5 gallons?? I am about to lose $1700 worth of genetics thanks to a Strainly seller sending clones with 2 spot spider mites that were resistant to almost everything and got botrytis trying to kill them off. It is odd that Phylon says they are not safe on cannabis and Magnon says it is. Like you said it might be for liability.

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Do you know if CS2005 is available in quantities less than 2.5 gallons?? I am about to lose $1700 worth of genetics thanks to a Strainly seller sending clones with 2 spot spider mites that were resistant to almost everything and got botrytis trying to kill them off. It is odd that Phylon says they are not safe on cannabis and Magnon says it is. Like you said it might be for liability.

You need to call up the company. Owner's name is Frank Miele, Florida. He sells only via a distributor. Have you tried ebay?

Here's an Aggie approved list of fungicides for vineyards. The "strobies" are a safe bet. Most of these are not cheap, then again neither are your genetics. Check out Captan (is listed for veggies) and Google fungnicdes used in the tobacco industry.

Never ordered from these folks, am on their email list. Call them up. https://www.arbico-organics.com/

FungicidesPage2.jpg

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've alway just used neem oil and a drop of washing up liquid and i spray once a week as a preventative and if i get a outbreak diatomaceous earth is brilliant. Rip's em to shreds. No more mites but wear a mask as it can rip you lungs up and cause problems later.