What's new

Fungal Gnats

southpaw

A sand layer absolutely worked for me recently after a mosquito dunk drench didn't quite seem to get it. I'd be more comfortable using perlite, but so far the plants seem fine. Also watering from the bottom has kept sand from washing down into the medium, which worries me more than surface gas exchange.

maxima32

i used gnatrol and yellow sticky traps but gnatrol for the price sucks i use sand now and it works fucking great . also use the yellow sticky traps that i have been and there is not a sub for the flying bastards . happy trails

dragunn

gnatrol works great,just make sure to use the maximum dose.this will wipeout the larva in one watering most of the time.use yellow sticky trap for the flying adults.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
fkin lil bastards, wheres my shotgun? :p

It looks like a no-pest strip & sticky traps finally worked for me.
A top dressing of diatom earth really knocked them down, as did a lite spray of pyrethrum on top. I can't soil drench anything cuz it will kill the microherd too.

I got them as a free bonus with Black Gold Organic lol
Never had them in 30yrs & no sign of new ones since switching over to Roots Organic mix. BG used to be OK stuff, the best before they got bought out. Never again!
A few more weeks & all the BG pots will be outta here.
This Roots mix is the BEST I've ever seen.

drinky_crow7

In regards to the perlite suggestion. I am currently doing that to my garden to deal with my infestation. I'm using coarse perlite not the expanded perlite. Doing approx. 1inch of it. Will post a pic of the outcome shortly.

Great discussion;

Personally I've not noticed this in my garden but it's nice to see people's 2 cents and be prepared so If I should have this problem - sweet.

Thanks people for your exp.

Peace.

reckon

Mosquito dunks work as well!
-illuminatus

no, sorry, but mosquito dunks will NOT do a very good job at removing an established infestation (ask me how I know this)

I tried gnatrol,.....same thing,,...too slow,....bugs all over the place,......same thing with perlite and sand,...the bugs just crawl down to the soil through the sand.

(p.s. the gnats aren't on the plant, they are in the top 2" of your soil, spraying the plants does nothing)

I finally resorted to a SPINOSAD soil drench 2 times, and they are GONE.

mess with the dunks all you like, 30 days later you'll still have gnats,...use spinosad, and they are gone NOW.

have fun.

drinky_crow7

Okay. Here is a few snapshots of my garden after I placed coarse perlite on the top of each plant.
IMG_1183.jpg

I placed approx. 2inches of coarse perlite on top of my soil. I made sure it was somewhat compact to keep those little fuckers from getting back into the soil. I also placed small cups with sugar&coffee which seems to be a great way to kill the adults. It starts to be a major pain in the ass when you have numerous plants.
IMG_1182.jpg

This is my garden currently. I have been in the process of acquiring new equipment so I have been vegging some of these for quite some time now. The bigger ones are getting transplanted outside as soon as I finish amending the soil.

I am experimenting with this tip to see how well it works
I will post again in a few days with some feedback as to how it is working.

bigwity

Veteran
lace wing moths kill gnats like foxes kill chickens they dont stop till everything is dead.

ZEROorDIE

shit i just add a cap or two of hydrogen peroxide to my water everyother watering until their gone.

usually only takes one to kill most of em and a second to make sure their all dead

drinky_crow7

Coarse perlite seems to be working great. The cups of coffee & sugar were filled with hundreds of gnats. I replaced with a fresh brew today. Looks like 85-95% of the infestation is gone. I definitely will not be doing this again though. All of these plants are going outside shortly. Tested a solution to this problem, it worked although it was more work than necessary. Anyways, good luck.

junkyarddog

Here's my two cents. I mulch the top of my pots with perlite, then feed from the bottom so that the perlite doesn't get wet.