What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fuel, rotten meat & other ugly smells: what causes it?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Just tried this skunk dawg pheno that smells like loud dental funk. It smell like the inside of a tongue piercing that has been opened up after not for a long time. Or a dental prosthesis that comes unglued. Very unique smell. It's an anaerobic rot smell. Very different than rotten meat or burnt rubber smells. I'm used to a lot of wierd Chem smells but this is just unbearable. It wreaks of dead mans halitosis. Thc high twenties though. Stoney as s mother fucker.

CoCoSativas

Just tried this skunk dawg pheno that smells like loud dental funk. It smell like the inside of a tongue piercing that has been opened up after not for a long time. Or a dental prosthesis that comes unglued. Very unique smell. It's an anaerobic rot smell. Very different than rotten meat or burnt rubber smells. I'm used to a lot of wierd Chem smells but this is just unbearable. It wreaks of dead mans halitosis. Thc high twenties though. Stoney as s mother fucker.

Are you a dental professional? My ex is a dental hygenist thats the description id expect her to give of those semlls... very descriptive though.

Skunkdawg eesh that would be nasty i bet. Im looking at some cheese x chem crosses but the rank factor keeps me away im not into nasty ass smells...

Even if the weed was good i wouldnt keep it if it smelled like that... i tend to keep nice smelling stuff, super lemon haze being my current favorite

CoCoSativas

Lemon OG has a nice smell to it too, sometimes I think it might not even need a carbon filter. :D It just gives off this light citrusy lemon smell. I think Super lemon haze and lemon og both have the same parent.

Yes its the same old ass lemon skunk thats been floating around amsterdam forever. Makes great crosses.

Lol i thought id be ok without a filter for 30 mins to clean the pre filter with my super lemon hazes in my 4x4 tent. I was wrong to turn it off the whole bulding stunk like weed the rest of the day i smelled it even upstairs hours later when i checked. Even 15 mins of having the tent open does it. I like the smell but neighbors complain lol dont skip the charcoal with any skunk hybrids, lol not the slh, not your lemon og, that lemon g reeks, i havent grown it but smoked some its rowdy...

You are like me probably so acclimated to it it dosent smell that much to us but to others its like a forest of it...

I wish someone i knew lived somewhere they could grow ogs without a filter id love to check that out... maybe ill plant one in the bush next year

Skip

Veteran
The first time I smelled NYCD I nearly puked.
Didn't like the taste either.
I couldn't believe people smoked that.
Consequently, for a long time I stayed away from Diesel

Then these new diesel crosses started showing up,
and I had some that didn't smell like diesel, and tasted decent.
Of course the high was the hook. :)

But I keep smelling that burnt rubber smell more and more, and from what are supposed to be different varieties, so I have to wonder if it's not something sprayed on it.

The REAL ODD THING about this is that often the dried bud has one smell, then grind it up and it has a different one, then you smell your fingers and there's that burnt rubber again. That's why I think it's some kind of treatment.

Anyone else notice those different smells from one bud?

I'm open to the idea that some people might be more sensitive to certain smells than other people, and some might even have a physical revulsion. Allergies might factor in that as well as I have allergies to most flowers.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
People have been spraying sub par bud with flavor shit all the time, payaso and Ichatted about it once. All the imports here,,, 75% sprayed from what I see,,, to smell ""loud""

its always damp then when you dry it out all the way it gets darker in color and the smell goes away...

Fuckers!

fuck tatsy puff flavor drops is what i say...

WelderDan

Veteran
I can't say why, though I suspect that it has to do with how genes from different parents combine.

I can say for sure that when I pollinated an Afghani #1 female with a C99 male, the offspring was the nastiest tasting, foulest smelling herb I've ever encountered. Like a mix of rotten meat, burnt rubber and dumpster juice.

The same male on a Seedsmans Hash Plant produced offspring with a Lemon/Hash taste, and on the Cherry Bomb female I got Cherry, Pineapple and Tropical fruit flavors.

From personal experience growing smoking trimming diesels...

Some are noxious, like make me gag, with no additives, its just the chemistry

I also notice different smells, different parts of the plant, or slight change when its ground, its weird because it can smell sweet when its growing sometimes. They can also smell bready. Burnt rubber sounds pretty normal. Unless you just got nugs freshly sprayed with eagle 20 (usually used way earlier on than harvest) that stuff smells gnarly.

But I have zero exp with additives so if thats whats causing it for you I couldnt say.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
About 17 yrs. ago I grew out a Cotton Candy x BC Kush and let her go way, way past the normal flowering period; everyone wanted to know why I smelled like burnt rubber after smoking a J.:biggrin:

Ollie

Veteran
Some Terpenes are really volatile and exposure to air or "handling" will or can change the deception.

Along with different light spectrums, growth environmental factors, nutrient regimes and curing/storage/humidty %

Alot of factors can be at play.

the lorax

I was wondering what might cause the fuel, diesel, rotten meat & dead skunk smells and maybe also other nasty odours... couldn't find anything and I know of no terpene with such kind of ugly smell.
I'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on that.

Right now, my Ciskeis smell like the Cali-O from last year did: like overripe, rotten orange peel with hints of rancid motor oil and maybe something like turpentine. I suppose the orange and turpentine comes from racemic limonene. I don't like it that much though... Unfortunately, I never paid any attention on whether cannabis synthesises (D)-(+), (S)-(-), or racemic limonene. Anyone any idea?
Because most biological reactions are catalyzed by enzymes, the products are generally stereoselective (only one stereoisomer is produced).

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I know that much but your statement is not always the case. Quite often when it comes to small simple molecules, both enantiomers (though not always at racemic 1:1 ratio) are produced or one in one species, the other in another, and the racemate yet in a third one (e.g. lactic acid) ;) . The question about which one cannabis does, remains therefore unanswered.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
After smoking a fuelly strain for the first time, my guess what it was was fuel - some alkanes. I think if something is generically referred to as limonene, it's most likely d-limonene, but l-limonene is l-limonene.

This has been mentioned in another thread and now here. There are no answers in this but at least something was done. Do not put full trust in their MS database matches though, unless the peaks are actually from contamination at the lab.

What Is Causing the Smell of Fresh Marijuana?

The objectives of this study were to (1) identify odorous compounds emitted from marijuana using multidimensional gas chromatography (MDGC) tandem mass spectrometry coupled with simultaneous human olfaction and (2) show an application and novelty of odor activity values (OAV) to better understand the ‘characteristic’ aromas of marijuana (3) explore aromatic compounds that are emitted through packaging typical in illicit distribution of marijuana.

G

Gr33nSanta

I found a plant that smells like manure, really nasty smell. I named the jar ''putrid'' I will never grow it again, I made rosin with a bunch of, the rosin looks phenomenal, I think it taste fine too, but man it has the nastiest stink, curiously, I keep going back to it just to smell it. The smell is getting better now somehow.

I once had a plant that smelled like dirty socks, nasty smell, after a 6 months cure it was actually fine.

troutman

Seed Whore
I grew some plants in 1999 and made the mistake of using Blood Meal indoors.

Once I added water my entire basement smelled like a place where something died. :biggrin:

Who would have thought 4 pounds of wet chicken blood indoors would smell bad? :laughing: