What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FUCKING SCAMMERS

J

jwop

Fucking scammers are EVERYWHERE

my grandfather has alzheimer's (some say "old timers) disease

it's not so bad in the morning but it gets worse as the day goes on

lately he has been receiving mail from denmark and jamaica and all other kinds of places around the world. these letters are obvious scams saying he has won 3 million dollars and all he has to do is send some money to get it transferred

this jamaican dude keeps calling to get my grandfather to send them more money. he has sent this one guy over $7,000

how can i stop this? do i need power of attorney? he is going to send these people his whole retirement if i don't stop it now

bendoslendo

If he's calling from overseas I don't think there is much you can do. I would definitely call your state Attorney General ASAP though. Maybe they can advise you further.

J

jwop

If he's calling from overseas I don't think there is much you can do. I would definitely call your state Attorney General ASAP though. Maybe they can advise you further.

well the main guy is calling from jamaica which has a US-like telephone number

attorney general? thanks man, never thought of that one

i am pretty sure local or state cops can't do anything about this

G

guest123

Disconnect G-pa's phone man... Change his mailing address to yours to screen the mail. They have the address change forms (free) at the post office. need to charge HIS cc a dollar online to do the same. Explain to G-pa....

j6p

well the main guy is calling from jamaica which has a US-like telephone number
attorney general? thanks man, never thought of that one
i am pretty sure local or state cops can't do anything about this
Also you can speak to a local attorney and learn your options for protecting your grandfather in the future. It's best to get the details sorted out and act fast, because those overseas crooks have targeted him and will continue trying to take his money. Nigerian scammers take millions of dollars from victims in the US each year, via those same old mail outs which they have been using for the past half-century or so.

ddrew

Veteran
If his alzheimer's is worsening, and he is clearly showing deterioration in his decision making abilities, have you considered some type of assisted living facility?
He can still have his own little apartment, but in a place with a little support and monitoring to help avoid things like this.

rafterman

You need to talk to other family members and have your grandfather declared incompetent. If he has already executed a power of attorney it may include provisions to have a physician declare him incompetent after an examination. There may be a local chapter of the Alzheimers society or mental health society who can help.

bentom187

Veteran
wow, im sorry to hear this,theres no shortage of scum on this planet,i would just do what blink said

whiterabbit9

Veteran
Yeah the other scam, they trick the guy into accepting a package from ups, for Anus Laptops, cost over 1200$ lol
very funny

and then they package supposedly 20 anus laptops (but in reality it's still more thrash)
so they put 20,000$ for custom declaration

------

but to return to the subject, I am really sorry to hear that about your grandfather, I hope you find a way to prevent further problems like these

I have faith in things like these, you can't go screwing people over without it ever coming back to fuck you

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Yea the scammers abound, it's just sad that they prey on people like your grandfather. I mean most of us that take everything with a grain or shaker of salt can see through it but damn. Skeezy

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
jwop, consider a consultation with a family attorney. One thing you might also consider is a living will. Alzheimer patients sometimes have trouble communicating their intentions in advanced stages of the disease. An attorney can also advise you of the consequences of having a loved one declared incompetent.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Common sense would say to change his phone # ASAP, make it unlisted, and only give it out on a need to know basis.

Then get one of those phone systems that only rings when the caller punches in the right code. No code and he wont even hear it ring. Remove the answering machine too.

Then get a PO box and have all his mail forwarded to it.

Beyond that and you'll need to get power of atty over his finances and can set up a max ammt he can debit the acct before it requires your signature.

J

jwop

Common sense would say to change his phone # ASAP, make it unlisted, and only give it out on a need to know basis.

Then get one of those phone systems that only rings when the caller punches in the right code. No code and he wont even hear it ring. Remove the answering machine too.

Then get a PO box and have all his mail forwarded to it.

Beyond that and you'll need to get power of atty over his finances and can set up a max ammt he can debit the acct before it requires your signature.

phone number has been changed 4 times since LAST thanksgiving

never heard of this phone, does it have a brand name?

i have talked to the post master, my grandfather can't remember a change was made because of scams so he freely changes it back himself

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Seriously its only going to work if you can stop him from changing stuff and mainly stop him from being stupid enough to give out any info period.

If you have changed the # and made it unlisted then the only way some dude from Jamaica got it is from your grandpa.